PDA

View Full Version : hot rock

hot rock

Abuyoussef
07-25-2002, 04:16 PM
hey guys i saw a hot rock...everyone was like its bad and stuff..so is it really bad....cause i saw one .....four paws....is it good or bad...and why is it bad

SilverTongue
07-25-2002, 04:48 PM
hot rock= BAD!!!
Why?? because they get too hot and they can and will burn the snakes. The snakes can get too confertable on the rock and just lay there not knowing they are buring. Why I dont know. But I have seen pics of burnt snakes. From hotrocks, and people not making sure that heatlamp couldnt be touched by the snake Now I have seen a kinda hotrock cave. I am not sure about it yet. It is llike a warm hide. My only issue is if your snake climbs on top then it is no different than a hotrock. You can do a search for hotrock on the internet and there will be several pages about why not to use hotrocks. Dont just take my word for it :)

kenalotia
07-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Hot rocks are no good at spreading heat. If the snake (or other reptile) wants to get warm from it, they have to sit right on the hot rock. Then they often end up getting burned... I would avoid hot rocks. Try to get an under tank heating pad if you need to raise the temps. The temperature on the warm side should be in the mid 80's Fahrenheit.

Iris
07-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Yep I've heard all over the place that they can really burn your snake. Apparently they don't have really sensitive nerves or something so they don't know they're being burned even as they're sitting or coiled around the rock. I think I read that somewhere...
yeah, so no heat rocks.

kenalotia
07-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Maybe it's not too surprising that so many reptiles get burned without noticing.... After all, how many of us have let ourselves get burned while we sat happily in the sun? I know I've done that more than a few times, and have even gotten blisters on the tops of my ears from sunburn. Is it really so different?

Kilojara16
07-25-2002, 10:53 PM
If hot rocks are so dangerous, then why do they still sell them?
It's sad when reptile end up cooking themselves on those things. Happened to a friend's lizard:eek: . Though, now that I think about it, many things are sold when people know its dangerous. *sigh* How messed up is that!?

Iris
07-26-2002, 01:39 AM
yeah not to go off topic but cigarettes especially come to mind for me :( my dad's been smoking for about 40 years and he can't make himself quit.

greasychips
07-27-2002, 04:17 PM
it is great 2 have a good looking snake, if u burn it then it won't be so good looking, and it is a shame 2 get rid of a snake coz of a sill mistake, if i were u i wouldn't use 1:D

Iris
07-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Never mind how it looks! Are you saying you would get rid of a snake if it had a small imperfection?! The snake would be injured!

nova
07-27-2002, 08:38 PM
I would never get rid of my corns. Infact one of my corns bites the heck out of me but Im not getting rid of it. But here is a thought. If you could run the heat rock through a dimmer switch and set it on a low setting, or maybe put a timer on it so every hour it would heat up for a minute or two then shut off? Would that make it suitable? Just a thought.

greasychips
07-28-2002, 11:23 AM
:o

i didn't meen it like that, soz if i sounded bad coz i ain't, i like corn snakes so why would i want 2 get rid of it, i would try 2 save it, not 2 try 2 change the subject or anything but about six month ago someone sold us a budjie coz it had a fight and was injured, we took coz we thought we could get it 2 a vet or somthing, but about 1/2 month ago he died so why would i wan't 2 do something like that, it is just horrid

Vedica
07-31-2002, 04:05 AM
I'm sure the person who invented the hot rock had good intentions. Why do they still make them? People still buy them. IMHO they are awful---of course you should see what happenes to a collection of snakes kept on heat tapes with a thermostat that malfunctions. That is pretty awful! Abuyouseff, you live in UAE--your concern should be trying to increase the humidity in your collection of snakes I would think. In an aquarium with a mesh lid that is pretty difficult to do especiallyif you were to use a hot rock.
vedica:D

clumsly
06-19-2003, 04:26 PM
its not good. its bad becuase if you snake get confotable i might fal sleep and then it may burn himslef. and yu dont want you snake to get hurt.