PDA

View Full Version : Good news about baby!!!

Good news about baby!!!

wildernessey
01-23-2005, 08:08 PM
She shed tonight!! :dancer:
It was cool 'cause we actually got to watch her do it.
But the best news is that the clicking she was making seems to have gone away with the old skin!! YEA!
This also seems to have revived her energy. She seemed pretty spunky after the last bit was off finally. It must feel good to shed! lol
I will still keep an eye on her, and try to feed her tomorrow. I know the poor thing must be hungry by now. She last ate on the 13th.
Thanks to all of you that were keeping up with her and wishing her (and us) well. I appreciate it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this was indeed the root of problem.

howiet4702
01-23-2005, 08:17 PM
That's great news! Hopefully she will eat tomorrow! Let us know..

KatieL
01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Yay! Congrats on your first successful shed! That first one is always exciting. :)

JTGoff69
01-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh my gosh, I hope that is the end of the suffering for the poor baby!! I am SOOO glad to hear that! Please keep us updated!! :dancer:

CornCrazy
01-24-2005, 06:35 AM
I, too, am glad that she finally shed! I hope everything goes smoothly from now on!

Skye
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi!

Good news that she shed, and wonderful news that the clicking stopped. I have one older snake that always clicks before a shed, but it never fails to concern me.

wildernessey
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Ugh! She's still not eating!!!!
I tried to feed her Sunday evening a few hours after her shed. She was so darn active, I was wondering if she was "looking" for food. My adult snow does this when she's hungry. I don't need to time her feedings because she basically tells me when she's hungry by coming out much more often and staying out. As though to say "hey, look at me!! Are you gonna feed me now, or what?!" lol
But baby didn't eat Sunday night. In fact, she completely ignored the pinkie. I even held it in front of her trying to entice her. But I ended up giving up. She just was not interested.
So I tried again tonight. This time she hovered over it, like she wanted to, but maybe didn't know how to eat it. My best friend was over and asked if she had been eating them live. I said no, cause she ate f/t when we brought her home.

I'll wait a few more days and try again. How long can a baby go without food? This Thursday will be the two week mark!! eek! I'm a little worried about her, but she's certainly gotten her spirits back since that shed, and has been quite active in the evenings....which I take to be a very good sign.

Jynx
01-25-2005, 09:27 PM
You might want to try just getting a small deli cup and leaving her in it with a pinkie in a place that won't be disturbed even by you. I know its hard not to hover over and watch to see if she'll take it, but even that may make her shy. Sometimes, they need to put all of their concentration on one thing and the deli cup hepls.

wildernessey
01-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks Jynx. The container I had her in was very small, like a 2" X 4". She was in it for probably close to 45 minutes. I peeked in on her once every 20 minutes or so. But my kids were home (and awake) so any vibrations of them running through my house may have been a deterrant to her. She did seem interested, just not ravenous like my snow gets.
I will probably wait until Thursday night and try feeding her again after my son has gone to bed and the house is darker and quieter. I may even place her in the container with the pinkie and then place that container inside her viv, and leave her in it over night. ??? I just can't think of anything else to do. The mouse before this one even kind of fell apart on me (oooh it was nasty too) and I thought maybe smelling the blood would entice her that time, but to no avail.
Well, I'll try again Thursday with a more quiet environment and see if that helps.
I'll keep ya'll posted!
Karen

Spirit
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
HOORAY! Wait another couple days, then wait until she's active. Put her and the pinky in a smallish tupperware container (maybe 5x5 inches) and put the lid on (make airholes). Cover the container with a towel, and place her somewhere warm and quiet. Peek 10 minutes later and with a little luck, the pinky will be gone.

It wouldn't hurt either to cut a few little slits into the skin (helps for better digestion), and (if you can) one big one on the back of the head. It's not exactly "braining" but it does help to release the scent and attract the snake to the mouse.

Just curious, but does she seem at ALL interested? Sniffing then slithering away? If so then I would definitely agree with Jinx that you've got a shy eater on your hands. The deli cup to me seems very small which is why I suggested the tupperware container but either should work.

Good luck!!

wildernessey
01-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey Spirit! Sunday night she showed no interest whatsoever...almost as though the mouse didn't even exist! lol
But tonight, she hovered over it, and would look at me as if to say "MINE!" But she never tasted or seemed to sniff around it. Just hover over it. Acknowledging it was there, but showing no more interest than that.
At least she's active now, and not lathargic and sickly looking like she was prior to shedding. She really had me worried for a while.

Spirit
01-25-2005, 10:34 PM
A few weeks ago I tried to feed my snake while in blue (never tried before) and he flat out refused it. He's always been a very agressive eater (will take it without hesitation), but ever since that one feeding, he's now picky about his meals. He sniffs it, nudges it with his nose... sometimes he'll take a bite, pick it up in his nouth, then set it back down and walk away.

It's almost as if he doesn't want me watching (never bothered him before though). So I started "trapping" him with a tupperware container (the way you'd trap a spider with an upsidedown glass). Works like a charm.. he'll sniff around the container for a minute and when he realizes he has nowhere to go, he'll eat the mouse.

I'm sure that's what it is... give it a few days (at least) then try again. Keep us posted. :)

MegF.
01-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, mine refused food for the first time in blue. She's always eaten no matter what. Now she's still just nosing it until I put her back in her viv, put the mouse on top of her hider cave (the only clean spot with no substrate) and turned out the lights. She must have eaten it cuz it's not there anymore, but she hasn't stopped cruising the viv once since I fed her. I think the large adult mouse is too small for her.