PDA

View Full Version : adults feedings vs younger feedings

adults feedings vs younger feedings

MADMAN
01-29-2005, 06:17 PM
my 2 okees eat once a week sometimes every 2 depending on when they shed

my adult miami phase is not wanting a feed once a week should i be concerned i've only fed her once and that was a week and a half after i brought her home. Herr last feed was last sunday i tried feeding her a med sized rat yesterday she got to the shoulders and spit it up( i was watching her while she was feeding ) ...she gave up and wanted nothing to do with it . today i bought the same sized rat i even covered her feeding cage with a blanket so she could do it in private and she refused to eat it could it be she isn't hungry yet? for me to keep on trying to feed rats and throw them away can get costly and i want to time this stuff just right.

do adults feed less than young do? do they shed less? stuff like that... i guess what i am asking is are there feedings further apart and the same with shedding?

RajilNasa
01-29-2005, 06:46 PM
well if you didnt scare her and she spit it up after she was past the shoulders, maybe its to big? Just a guess, I know once I ended up with a really large fuzzy and had a corn that got part of it down but couldnt manage the rest so he wouldnt eat it. and adults tend to feed less often

Susan
01-29-2005, 08:29 PM
If the snake in question is the one pictured in your avatar, then I would definately go with a much smaller prey item. Although the body size on that snake is quite large and would seem to be able to handle a medium rat, the head appears to be small in comparison, which would make a medium rat very difficult for that snake to swallow. I would suggest you try an adult mouse next. And if it eats it, the next meal I would suggest 2 adult mice if you think it could handle it. And adults will occasionally refuse a meal or two when fed weekly. All of my adults do that and I don't start to get concerned until after they refuse 3 meals in a row.

MADMAN
01-29-2005, 08:53 PM
thanks alot this info helps her head is quite small so i'll get her an adult mouse or 2

oreo1700
02-02-2005, 10:16 PM
adults do feed and shed less because they are not growing anymore. i would let her rest for a few days and offer one smaller sized mouse. try giving her 2, a week later.

JTGoff69
02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Most adults are fed every 7-10 days so you might have tried to feed it too soon. As suggested before as well, the prey item may be a bit too big. Try a smaller item next feeding after waiting at least a week.

Alias47
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
The step down from a medium rat to an adult moouse is a LONG one...
If she was fed rats previous to you acquiring it...I would continue with the rats...from what I have been told, they have a higher nutritional value than mice...a weanling rat would be better than adult mice. Or even a small rat...if she got to the shoulders of a medium...

If she was only fed mice...that might be why she is refusing rats as well...
Check your temps...and your husbandry to ensure that is not the cause...

And don't panic...I always have snakes that have a hard time feeding in the winter...regardless of husbandry conditions...
Just know it's that time of year...or something.