PDA

View Full Version : When should I feed again?

When should I feed again?

howiet4702
01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
OK....I tried feeding my little guy again today but after 1 hour, he was not interested. Here is his feeding history since Dec, 1st...

He eats 1 large pinky every feeding.

12/1
12/5
12/11
12/16
12/17 SHED
12/21
12/28
1/10 SHED
1/10
1/17

How long should I wait to try to feed him again? 5 days? 7 days?

Thanks!

Mangrove
01-30-2005, 01:30 PM
1/17 last?? its been 13 days??? thats really long, i would just keep trying to introduce the mouse to him like every day so it dosnt die from starving... but i keep mine on the scedule of 5-7 days and it woks perfectly but other idea of what to do. :confused: :confused:

dionythicus
01-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Even neonates can go for a few weeks without eating, so if it's only been 13 days, I wouldn't be concerned that its going to starve just yet. I would try braining the pinky (poking a hole in its head so the fluids seep out). Some babies really like the smell and will be encouraged to eat. Try feeding in the evening, during normal snake activity time (when they would be hunting in nature).

Mangrove
01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
i have always hward of braining pinkine but i dont think i could do it, you would jsut do it to frozen ones correct andd dont you still find it kinda crule??
:twohammer

dionythicus
01-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, only brain the frozen ones. I could never do that to a living thing! I was really kinda squeamish the first time, but now I take the tip of my pointy scissors and just poke the center of the head. Make sure a little of the fluid comes out so the snake can smell it. I've even snipped the heads off pinks for my littlest neonates. I don't like to look at it for any length of time, but I can do it now without flinching.

Mangrove
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
yeah i havce been feeling bad about feeding mice... i have been playing with the mouse before hand and it makes it that much worse... been looking into the snake sausage thing.... i jsut cant kill a living thing i mean i think im going to collage for like herps or ornathology one of the two birds or reps and in both i dont want anyhitng to die... and on the other hand i have wanted to be a pastor for my whole like so ministry so i dont know... i sjut feel bad a bout it.... :dancer:

dionythicus
01-30-2005, 02:08 PM
It is difficult to be the one responsible for the death of any living creature. That is one reason why I feed F/T. I have fed live before and I'm okay with it because it is the natural order of the world. Mice and rats, as cute as they are (and I have them for pets, I have a pet rat right now), they are prey animals. Death is a fact of life and we each have to find peace with that in our own way.

Mangrove
01-30-2005, 02:12 PM
yeah i guess i mean it gets easier and easier every time you do it but i mean its still sad... i guess ill jsut get over it soon., :idea:

CAV
01-30-2005, 02:13 PM
1/17 last?? its been 13 days??? thats really long, i would just keep trying to introduce the mouse to him like every day so it dosnt die from starving... but i keep mine on the scedule of 5-7 days and it woks perfectly but other idea of what to do.

Do not keep trying everyday! Keep on your regular schedule! You can condition the snake to ignore food when it is offered too often. That is not what you want. 13 days is nothing to be concerned about. Snakes do not function like a mammal, in need of regular nutrition.

I'd suggest leaving the pinkie inside the feeding container overnight if needed. Place the feeding container inside a dark cabinet and close the door (NO PEEKING!) and leave the snake alone. Sometimes there are just too much external stimuli and the snake gets distracted. (You can compare this to someone who can't go to the bathroom in front of others in public ;) )

howiet4702
01-30-2005, 02:17 PM
1/17 last?? its been 13 days??? thats really long, i would just keep trying to introduce the mouse to him like every day so it dosnt die from starving... but i keep mine on the scedule of 5-7 days and it woks perfectly but other idea of what to do. :confused: :confused:

I highly doubt that he will starve to death after just 13 days. :)

howiet4702
01-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Do not keep trying everyday! Keep on your regular schedule! You can condition the snake to ignore food when it is offered too often. That is not what you want. 13 days is nothing to be concerned about. Snakes do not function like a mammal, in need of regular nutrition.

I'd suggest leaving the pinkie inside the feeding container overnight if needed. Place the feeding container inside a dark cabinet and close the door (NO PEEKING!) and leave the snake alone. Sometimes there are just too much external stimuli and the snake gets distracted. (You can compare this to someone who can go to the bathroom in front of others in public ;) )

I fiqured I would wait the next scheduled feeding which is in 5 days. I heard that you shouldn't try to feed everyday because then he won't want to eat.

CAV
01-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Exactly. Taking this a step further, what are the husbandry conditions like? Most eating problems can be dialed down to a husbandry issue.

howiet4702
01-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Exactly. Taking this a step further, what are the husbandry conditions like? Most eating problems can be dialed down to a husbandry issue.

It's been the same since I had him since October.

80-85 on the warm side.

75-78 on the cool side.

Water bowl on the cool side.

Hides on either side of the viv.

UTH underneath the tank with a red bulb on top of the tank.

Nothing has changed.

Mangrove
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
sorry i couldnt be of more of a help and gave you wrong information, i jsut need to look up the facts before i push post, sorry aobut that

CAV
01-30-2005, 02:37 PM
It's been the same since I had him since October.

80-85 on the warm side.

75-78 on the cool side.

Water bowl on the cool side.

Hides on either side of the viv.

UTH underneath the tank with a red bulb on top of the tank.

Nothing has changed.

I'd recommend dropping the temp about 5 degrees. I've found that too much heat can trigger a feeding boycott with most colubrids. Excessive heat tends to induce stress, which ultimately affects eating responses. Too cool is better than too hot, IMO. Try it for a few days without the lamp.......

princess
01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Don't worry too much. I had one of mine not eat for 2 months for no reason. I probably could have tried harder to get her to eat but figured I wouldn't push it. She's a dream eater usually and is back to normal now so I guess it was nothing to worry about. Braining pinks works like a charm for picky eaters, if it's been 20 mins and the snake hasn't eaten by your normal method, warm it up again and try braingin it...I can almost guarantee it'll work.

I just posted this...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17752

..This is how I stun my mice Mangrove. Rather than feeding a mouse live, how about killing it prior to feeding. If you feel sorry for the mouse (but still want to play with it) this is the most humane way to do it.