PDA

View Full Version : At what age can I use a male for breeding???

At what age can I use a male for breeding???

andys999
04-05-2002, 02:48 PM
I have heard that male corns are fertile from a very early age.
At what age do people usually use their males for breeding?

also, what would be the consequences of using a large yearling male? Would he just not be interested, or would he be infertile??
Any ideas appreciated

Cheers

Andy

Simon
04-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Well it doesn't really matter that much if you are talking about males. They can breed whenevery they want to, as long as the female allows him to do it and that the little guy is also interested and not scared to death. Since they are not the one carrying the eggs and laying them. It doesn't hurt that much to let them breed when they are small. But then the fertility rate might be lower compared to larger adult males. But other than that there isnt much of a difference.

Good Luck and happy Herping!

CornsnakeKeeper
04-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Most people start at the earliest- 2 years

Younger corns may not be as fertile and they may not be interested. I don't really think it could hurt to try as long as he's around 30 inches give or take a few. I have however heard that breeding animals have shorter lifespans than those that don't. I'm not sure if this applies to males or not.

Good luck!

Peter
04-09-2002, 12:07 AM
2 of mine are just under 2 years old. My little sunglow REALLY knows how to put the moves on the ladies.

Chris Olson
03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I have heard that male corns are fertile from a very early age.
At what age do people usually use their males for breeding?

also, what would be the consequences of using a large yearling male? Would he just not be interested, or would he be infertile??
Any ideas appreciated

Cheers

Andy

I've bred males at one year and about 100 grams. Results may vary. Two to three year old males between 200 and 300 grams get the job done pretty consistently.

Chris O

cornmorphs
03-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I had an accidental mating a few years ago using an 80 gram male.. 100% hatch rate aswell..
The smallest I have used this year was 140 gram male, 2007.. I have used other bigger ones that have, not yet done the business.. but the 140 gram boy has, his wifey has just had a pre lay today.

Cornsnake124
03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
The rule of thumb is 1 year old, because they tend to be more fertile at a later age.

mindfreak
03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
It's best to shoot for 2 years old and around 200g.

bitsy
03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I've certainly heard of an accidental mating with a 10 month old male that resulted in a fertile clutch. It's more the size difference that I'd be worried about with younger males.

tricksterpup
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
You know, I prefer waiting, no need to rush things with a snake. Still follow the standard rules of the 3s. 3 years, 3 feet, 300 grams.

Cornsnake124
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I thought the 3 rule was for females?

tricksterpup
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Personally, I like doing this with all my snakes. I think Age and Size does matter. No need to stress out and try breeding at to early of an age.

carol
03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I've bred males at one year and about 100 grams. Results may vary. Two to three year old males between 200 and 300 grams get the job done pretty consistently.

Chris O

I've breed 100 grams males with great results, given they were only with 1 or 2 females and not the 3 to 4 most of the big boys get.

Personally, I like doing this with all my snakes. I think Age and Size does matter. No need to stress out and try breeding at to early of an age.

From what I've seen NOT breeding males stresses them out more than breeding them. ;)

Chris Olson
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I've breed 100 grams males with great results, given they were only with 1 or 2 females and not the 3 to 4 most of the big boys get.

I agree with that. My experiences with males that small have been about 50/50. Half the time they haven't seemed interested....but when they have been I've had good results.

Chris O

carol
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, I should have clarified... when they have been willing I've had good results. There are definitely some boys that don't figure it out until the following year.

cornmorphs
03-24-2009, 02:24 PM
i find that my males actually get stressed if they DONT get a partner.. i cant see how a male would get stressed by being with a female at all..
the rule or 3 is a good guide, but certianly not something i go by myself.. there aremany other factors which for me lead younger females and smaller females to bree successflly, and at times, bigger ones not too as they are not ready.
its something i guess each person learns with experience what you can and cant do, what you should and shouldnt do i suppose.

Chris Olson
03-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, I should have clarified... when they have been willing I've had good results. There are definitely some boys that don't figure it out until the following year.

What results have you had more relative to age?

Chris O

carol
03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Well I've had some 100 gram males that just did not know what to do, but with those that went for it, I've had great fertility. That being said, I only use these males on one or two females. I haven't tried breeding them to more than that yet. Although I may have a couple that have 3 to cover this year. We'll see how it goes!

Tavia
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM

I saw someone selling a female "proven" breeder that was only an '07, this last year was the only year she had bred. So if you know what you are doing & the snake is big enough, is that okay, or still something that should not be done at all?

Chris Olson
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I haven't noticed if it age or size......and I'm wondering. Does the 18 month 100 gram boy get the job done more or less than say the 125 gram 12 month old? If anyone has any documentation, please share...

Chris O

jazzgeek
03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I just want to make sure everybody was aware that they're responding to a thread that is coming up on its 7th Anniversary. Just sayin'.

:D

Dale

tricksterpup
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I just want to make sure everybody was aware that they're responding to a thread that is coming up on its 7th Anniversary. Just sayin'.

Dale

So are you saying these corns are 9 years old? Well then they should be old enough to breed.

Chris Olson
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Dale

Weird. I noticed it yesterday because it was the post at the top of the page. Still, people seem to have things to say about it....

Chris O

Tavia
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm sure there are still a lot of people fairly new to corns & breeding them that will find this thread interesting still!

carol
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Duh! I gotcha now Chris. Age doesn't seem to make a difference as far as fertility from what I've seen.

tricksterpup
03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Duh! I gotcha now Chris. Age doesn't seem to make a difference as far as fertility from what I've seen.

See, I have talked to others here as well and some of us think it does. I mean, what is a year or so?

There should be no need to be in a rush to breed your snakes unless you want to hurry in those morphs.