PDA

View Full Version : yet another substrate question

yet another substrate question

jjunner
07-27-2002, 12:45 AM
I saw some substrate that was kinda like bark but it was compacted and the directions say to soak it in water (it was the size of a brick) and it will expand to 7 or 8 times its original size... any thoughts on it? has anyone used it before?

GinnyO
07-28-2002, 07:27 PM
I am using this stuff for my new young snow corn which I purchased a month ago at a pet shop. They use it there for reptiles and recommended it to me. I think it's made of coconut shell fibers. I have no complaints about it, but I, too, was wondering if it's the best substrate to use as I haven't seen anyone recommending it on the snake sites. I am a brand new snake owner, and I'm enjoying my cornsnake a lot!!

srw3897
07-30-2002, 03:44 PM
i think that stuff is called Bed-a-Beast. I have heard of it but never used it. I also have a tarantula and i know that that stuff can hold mites which can kill a tarantula.

I wouldn't reccomend it because of the stuff I have heard about it.

Instead you could get Repti-Bark(thats what I use) or special reptile sand.

srw3897
07-30-2002, 03:48 PM
wood chips or aspen are good

Vedica
07-30-2002, 07:28 PM
The best substrate to use for corns, and most other types of snakes is plain old newspaper. When they are older aspen is very good as well. WHile newspaper is not very asthetically pleasing, it is very cheap, inhibits the growth of bacteria, and it gives the snake something to read while using the bathroom. Don't use cedar IT WILL KILL YOUR SNAKE!!!!!
Hope this helps,
Vedica

Reptiles=3
07-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Wow thats quite a collection of snakes you have!!!

GinnyO
08-01-2002, 12:03 PM
I've been a member for only a week, and I think you all are wonderful! As a newbie, I'm amazed at the questions I've already found answers to and want you to know that my new little snow corn will benefit immediately from this site! Before I got my snake, I read every book the library co-op owned, and checked out many websites, but I haven't seen the cornsnake manual that you have been talking about and I would like to buy two: One for me, and one for my library. Where is the best place to find them? Also, do any of you use that astro turf stuff, that you can remove and wash, for substrate? Thanks again for this great forum!! I'm already planning on a trip to the Chicago area for the show on Oct.5-6. Can't wait!!:D

Iris
08-01-2002, 12:19 PM
You might be able to find the manual at the reptile show, but if not, you can order as many as you want from www.corn-utopia.com. It's a great book!

kenalotia
08-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Amazon.com also sells the Cornsnake Manual. But you can get an autographed copy if you buy it from corn-utopia.com (Kathy's site).