PDA

View Full Version : Bloody tail?

Bloody tail?

Joejr14
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Anyone had this problem before?

I just saw that my male '03 snow had just shed, so I picked him up and noticed that about 1/2" at the very end of his tail has no scales and is bloody. It's not still bleeding, and maybe it never did, but something is obvioulsy not right.

I'm wondering if there was a piece of skin that didnt come off and was stuck on his tail at the last shed, and that's what is causing this?

Anyway, is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait until the next shed?

Mangrove
02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
well thereis one thing you can soke him in water and this should coax the skin off. it lubricates the skin and pushes off remaining skin when he rubs aginst the ground with no pain or danger. I have done it and it worked, hope i could be of help :idea:

Joejr14
02-06-2005, 12:56 PM
That would work if there was still skin from an old shed stuck on my snake, but there's not.

Mangrove
02-06-2005, 12:59 PM
well in that case you might wanna look into some antibiotic to make wore there is no infection, but i believe it should be ok i mean they have to run into worse in the wild, just give me a few minutes and ill find a good link on it or some good information...

Mangrove
02-06-2005, 01:09 PM
clean with a water flush, and then apply a broad-spectrum antimicrobial liquid mix comromised of hydrogen peroxid (disluted with water 50/50)

BUt corn snake heal remarkably rapidly from injurys, and that solution should clean out the wound very well and hopefully stop the bleeding, but if you feel uncomfortable you can take your corn outa his House and place him in a large gladware case and put a papertowl on the bottem, this will keep it from getting any further infection and will less stress him out than a woodchipped benning.

MegF.
02-07-2005, 12:06 AM
You can put a little neosporin ointment on too if you want. I agree with Mangrove in that you might want to change the viv over to paper towel until the tail is healed, or put him in another container with paper towel. It will keep the wound cleaner.