PDA

View Full Version : First Feeding

First Feeding

bah14
02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
My corn is a female, born 6/21/04. Today is 4 days since i got her and i placed small pinkies in a dish on the warm side of the tank for her. It's only been a few hours, but i watch her bump into them and not even bother to bite them. Is she just not hungry?!

I might add that i dressed the cage up with some vines and some fake leaves. Since the night lights came on, she has been all over the tank exploring every square inch ... perhaps she's too preoccupied to bother with the two LIVE pinkies i placed in there for her?

I did some reading about this, but really coun't find anything pertaining to my scenerio.

thanks in advance.

CAV
02-07-2005, 09:14 PM
1) Feed the snake in a small excape proof container, not the big tank

2) Has the snake ever eaten live mice before? Is there a reason you are doing so now?

3) How frequently have you been handling this snake since you purchased it?

bah14
02-08-2005, 07:23 AM
1. I know this is the best way to do things, however, i have only owned the corn for 5 days and have not yet handled her. I thought it might be best to just do the frist couple feedings in the tank w/o any physical contact.

2. This is the first time I have attempted to feed her. I planned to do the 1st few feeds using living "wiggling" prey and then make the transition to f/t prety once she was on a regular feeding cycle.

3. Again, I have only owned it for a few days. I planned to start handling it after about a week or so.

Thank you so much for your help, Cav.

howiet4702
02-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I would definately put him in seperate container with only 1 pinky..not two. There is too much stuff going on in that viv and if you isolate him with the pinky he has nothing else to focus on. I would definatley not put two live pinkys in there together. Let him eat one first and then feed him the other if he is still hungry.

Was he fed F/T before you got him?

bah14
02-08-2005, 01:19 PM
good idea, I'll try to isolate him tonight (my first time handling/feeding him) into a separate container with only 1 pinkie and see what happens. She did appear to be a bit "distracted" by all the new decor i added to the tank.

thanks

bah14
02-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Was he fed F/T before you got him?

i am not sure. I got him from Kathy Love. I suppose that I could ask her abou it.

mandi72
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if someone could please help my son? He has got a two and half year old corn snake and she has gone from eating "fuzzies" ( next size up from new born mice, to a small mouse, the problem is she has not eaten for two weeks now and we even put a fuzzie in her tank last night, and she is not even going for that, do you think that maybe she might have a blockage? she has messed in the tank but I have no idea what to do? Any information would be a great help thanks Mandi and Aaron.

howiet4702
02-08-2005, 02:18 PM
A few questions:

1. Is that the first time you fed her a mouse?

2. When was the last time she ate before that?

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much because it's really only been 14 days. Older corns can go weeks without eating. She just might not be hungry or she might be due to shed as well.

mandi72
02-08-2005, 02:30 PM
A few questions:

1. Is that the first time you fed her a mouse?

2. When was the last time she ate before that?

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much because it's really only been 14 days. Older corns can go weeks without eating. She just might not be hungry or she might be due to shed as well.

It was the first time we had fed her a larger mouse.
She ate a week before that, she had shed about three weeks ago, and she is not due to shed for about two months.

Do you think she will be ok? Its daft I have never held her as this is my sons snake, and I am slightly nervous about them, but I am worried about her. Do you think we should keep her on the small mice or feed her twice a week on the fuzzies?, that is when she decides to eat again? Thankyou very much for the Information you have put my mind at rest. :) And Aaron(my son)

howiet4702
02-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Like I said, I wouldn't worry. :) I would wait another 5-7 days and give the snake another small mouse. Don't keep trying to give it to her everyday...It is obvious that she can keep the small mouse down so I would just keep giving her the mice. Now, if she regurges (throws up) the mouse then I would back down to fuzzies again. But, I see no problem with the small mice. Let us knwo how everything goes.

mandi72
02-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks I will. :)

mandi72
02-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Well its been a month now since the snake fed, and we have tried to feed her again but she is just not interested, she is still active though.
I think maybe a trip to the vet is due now? what do you guys think?

CAV
02-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Can you provide an update with some details on what you've done and tried?

mandi72
02-14-2005, 01:52 PM
we put scales(snakes name) on a small mouse, from a fuzzie, she ate it but hasnt eaten since, so we put her back on fuzzies and she's not interested in them either now

CAV
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
What are the temps inside the enclosure? How old is the snake? Are you sure she's a she?

mandi72
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question, but what does it matter if she is a she or not? We think she is as her tail end is long. looking at the pictures on this site it is long as the females that we have seen. She will be three at the begining of July.

The temp in her tank is 31 degrees, do you think that maybe too hot?

princess
02-14-2005, 05:17 PM
The males have the longer tails and at this time of year the males are sometimes preoccupied with the lady snakes and go off food...my 1.0 anery has done that.

howiet4702
02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
my male is the same way right now. He is just not interested in eating. ;)

mandi72
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Well lucky my son called he/she SCALES then or we really would have problems. :D

So is the temp ok for him then?
Also how long does this last for?