PDA

View Full Version : How about something new?

How about something new?

Rich Z
07-29-2002, 03:40 AM
http://www.serpenco.com/pics/babies/newhypo51.jpg

Jimmy C.
07-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Rich,
With each photo that I look at I am more convinced that I must find a way to get some of your babies. Thias photo has at least 3 that I want.
Jimmy C.

Khaman
07-29-2002, 10:10 AM
Rich is that a stripe showing up in another clutch?

Missymonkey
07-29-2002, 11:24 AM
I like the look of these corns together, such a neat color palate, this picture could almost be in an art gallery (almost?!, heck is should be!)

Kevin M
07-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Rich, What exactly are we looking at here? Hypo's, Normals & ? That Red guy to the left is amazing. Add him/her to my order. :)

LindsayMarie
07-29-2002, 09:31 PM
I am not as experienced as I would like to be when it comes to all the different morphs of corn snakes. So please dont think this is a stupid question. Which one exactly is the new one??? Thanks, Lindsay

HomeBreeder
07-29-2002, 09:41 PM
Rich is keeping the secret as to just what we're looking at there. I love the bat-a-rang shaped saddles on it! (I'm a pettern buff)

^CB

LindsayMarie
07-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by HomeBreeder
Rich is keeping the secret as to just what we're looking at there. I love the bat-a-rang shaped saddles on it! (I'm a pettern buff)

^CB

I know he isnt going to tell us what the genetics are, but I was wondering which snake in the pic is the new one? I know its probably a stupid question! Lindsay

HomeBreeder
07-29-2002, 10:06 PM
oh! my mistake!

I think the "new" one is the one with the milk-chocolate colored saddles that are so oddly shaped... sort of a 'W' on each sided?

Maybe an amber/crimson cross? crimson/motley? I look forward to Rich posting pics as it grows! (Right, Rich? Or do you think after too many sheds we'll be able to guess the brew?)

^CB

Rich Z
07-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Well, actually this isn't any sort of secret.

The new animal is the one with it's head on top of the Hypomelanistic corn's head. Kind of a light chocolate color. I believe this may be a new Hypo gene that has been floating around in the Motleys for a long time. I have already hatched out one or two of them in prior years, and as they mature they become very brightly colored hypomelanistic looking animals. I believe this may be the influence that makes many of the Motleys seemingly get lighter colored as they mature.

In your typical Hypomelanism, babies tend to be much brighter than their normal colored siblings. But when they all reach adulthood, it can sometimes be a challenge to tell which ones are actually the Hypos and which ones are just brightly colored normal animals. This particular trait does the opposite. Babies can be easily passed by if you don't pay attention, but will brighten up with every shed.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part. But I have noticed this brightening effect and it has puzzled me. When I got a couple of babies that looked slightly unusual that hatched out from one of my projects using Motley, I held on to them to see how they would turn out. But we've all been breeding Motleys for quite a long time, and it does puzzle me that if this trait is widespread in the Motleys, then why hasn't anyone else noticed it before?

I have some Caramel Motleys that have gotten so brightly colored that they look every bit as I would expect an Amber Motley to look. When I bred the Milk Snake Phase to the Motley line, I got a few animals that turned extremely brightly colored in the F2 clutches when they matured. In both cases, I can track back the original ancestor of these projects to the original Motley corn I got from Doctor Bechtel. So perhaps it was just the luck of the draw that it hasn't shown up yet in my Lavender Motley project. But I am certainly keeping an eye out for it, now that I know it exists.

Walter Smith
08-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to point out a detail that I took notice to and was wondering if you have noticed it too.
The color of the iris on that snake is grey/blue compared to the siblings ( that I can see in the pic. ) having a orange iris.

Maybe a clue as to what's happening there?

Walter

Simon
08-04-2002, 01:03 PM
O wow.....what nice looking snake.....
very very nice...

CrazyCorn
01-28-2003, 03:18 PM
is it still alive rich? we need updates on the mutants from 2002!