PDA

View Full Version : cooked chicken as food?

cooked chicken as food?

mike17l
02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
i noticed on another thread that some people fed cooked chicken legs to snakes that are not great eaters. if you do this how do you do it? how do you cook the chicken? how long do you cook the chicken? legs only? any other info on feeding chicken would be great.

thanks
mike

Aurora13
02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I thought that snakes digestive systems couldn't handle cooked food??

Cindy
02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I noticed that thread too.... from one of our very experienced snake mentors, mehnir i think, I watch with interest (I could just chow a cooked chicken leg right now) x

hediki
02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
from what i read and remember they cant digest cooked food, i assume they do it so the snake could feel hungry even though they've eaten and would start taking anything, or there not smart.

Dayoh
02-16-2005, 03:52 PM
I have been told i can give my snake milk, i don't see why i would need too and don't see how it would be a good idea.

howiet4702
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
I have been told i can give my snake milk, i don't see why i would need too and don't see how it would be a good idea.

Where on earth did you hear that from? :confused:

princess
02-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Can someone post a link to that thread please?

Mangrove
02-16-2005, 04:53 PM
what is this cooking a dinner for your snake?? never heard that you give your snake milk that just sounds ubsurd (**not you just the idea**) its like feeding a dog chocolate icecream i mean i could kill it, but if you ever hear those kinda things come to this site; there are some very educated people that can help you make good decisions. But if a snake is having trouble eeatting or rejecting food try to brain a pinkey(frozen ones) you thaw it out and poke a hole in its head YUM :eatpointe and with chicken they can not digest cooked items

Chip
02-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Sounds completely absurd to me. Raw eggs, yes. Raw chicken, perhaps. Cooked chicken!?! I'll withhold judgement until I read the afroementioned link, but I can't wait.

Cindy
02-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Here is the thread http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127446#post127446, but on re-reading it I think I misunderstood the point. :duck:

Hurley
02-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Quite honestly, cooked chicken shouldn't hurt a snake. They should be able to digest it as well as any other carnivore/omnivore. The problem with cooked meat is that it is seriously lacking in everything but protein and isn't very nutritional for the snake. They need the rest of the carcass for vitamins, minerals, fat, and carbs. Feeding cooked meat wouldn't be any better for them (and probably a bit harder to digest) than feeding pieces of beef or chicken meat. They need the rest of the nutrients. Protein by itself takes almost as much energy to process as they get from it. It's very inefficient. Fat, obviously, is the storehouse of energy, carbs are quick and easy to digest energy.

Just wanted to insert this thought, because cooked meat isn't harmful...just not very useful.

CornCrazy
02-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I think it was read wrong...LOL

It sounds as if Menhir uses the chicken broth for scenting the pinks. I have heard of using this method before. I have also started some non-feeders on chicken meat. Sometimes you just gotta give them what they want :)

Chip
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Yep, using fat to "scent" mice is certainly different than feeding a cooked chicken leg! Still have my doubts about how much appeal chicken fat would add to a pinkie, but I've never tried it.

Dayoh
02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
The person that told me I could give milk to my snake is not a snake keeper, just a man who thinks he knows every thing, i explained to him that this was not a good idea and that who ever is supplying this info needs to get informed themselves before suggesting some thing as absurd, its not a kitten its a snake. World of diffrence you think. He says because snakes are the oldest thing in the world they have adapted to all things, give me a break. Lol....