PDA

View Full Version : First Fuzzy success!

First Fuzzy success!

thelyonsking
02-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Well, we made the jump from big pinkies to fuzzies tonight. I was a little concerned when I got them into the container together and he grabbed it, I thought there was no way he'd get that thing down. But by golly, he stretched his jaw out and crammed it in... his skin stretched soooo much, I was afraid he'd burst. :blowup: I could actually see the skin between the scales as they seperated... ouch! I wonder if it hurt?

Lets hope it stays down....

:-puke02:

Rosebear
02-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Ok, I have to ask... How old is your snake? Or maybe a better question would be how big is your snake? I've been curious about shifting Legoless to larger prey, and judging from your pictures, we have corns about the same size. I have fuzzies...but they just look SO BIG to me! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how the jump worked for you!

hediki
02-20-2005, 12:38 AM
the mouse look bigger than the thikest part of the cor, but a corn can eat somthing 1.5x its size. so lets hope it stays done. :wavey:

CAV
02-20-2005, 12:43 AM
That mouse is perfect for that snake. If anyone is in the "I don't know if my little one can handle big fuzzies" camp take note! Good call LK. :dancer:

mbdorfer
02-20-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I'll agree with Gary. Looks like the right size prey to me.

thelyonsking
02-20-2005, 08:20 AM
No nasty presents in the viv this morning... :licklips:

Rosebear: I got him the Tues after Christmas and the pet store thought he was about 2 months old then. Of course, I'm not so sure they really knew. Anyways, he is about 18 inches now. Size wise, the pic is slightly deceptive as he is actually bigger in his middle vertically than horizontally (does that mean he's tall?). I knew from all the reading here that if he was eating 3 pinkies it was time to move up. I was just absolutely amazed at the stretching capacity!

Hey CAV and Spirit... if he doesn't poop in 3 days, should I bathe him? :toiletgra :roflmao:

KatieL
02-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Woohoo! Congrats on the sucessful feeding! I'm always nervous when I bump Sienna up a size, but she's always done just fine (as I kinda knew she would). Just wait till you see how fast they grow on fuzzies!

howiet4702
02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
That's awesome LK! I was a little cautious the first time too! I wish all mine were on fuzzies, but two of them do not want to make that jump yet....Give them time....

MichaelBoyko
02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't know if other prescribe to the same school of throught...

But my snakes are a pretty good judge of what they can and cannot eat. I will try them on a larger sized prey item, and if they eat it successfully, I'll keep them on the new, larger, item. I've only ever had one regurg, but I don't know why that was... the item was smaller than Icepick was used to.

Hope that helps!

Rosebear
02-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I got him the Tues after Christmas and the pet store thought he was about 2 months old then. Of course, I'm not so sure they really knew. Anyways, he is about 18 inches now.

It sounds like they're really close in size and we got them within a week of each other. I got Legoless a few days before Christmas. The first week he got a single pinkie and was searching for more almost immediately. I bumped him up to 2 the following week and he seemed content. The little piglet ate and shed the same day (there goes that theory with THIS corn) a week later, and has been on 2 sliced pinks since. Last week he got 2 bigger pinkies (new supplier), wolfed them down and was looking for more again. Today is feeding day...he's currently snoozing beneath his water dish, so I'm thinking when he comes out tonight...we'll do 3 sliced pinkies and see if he takes all 3. If he does...I'll :bowdown: to the wisdom and experience here and go for the fuzzy next week...it just makes me nervous! ;)