PDA

View Full Version : Acting funny?

Acting funny?

Corny73
02-20-2005, 08:47 PM
I just got my new bloodred male a few days ago. After handling him for a few minutes I put him back and took out my normal female. Now I didnt wash my hands after handling the male and the female started acting funny. She was very defensive and uptight rather than relaxed and slithering from hand to hand as usual. Did the male put out a smell onto me that she could sense or was it just a coincidence?

sherry
02-20-2005, 08:52 PM
i think they can since other snakes. i was at a pet store and was holding 2 corns and when i got home to hold mine she was mad at uptight to, and i did wash my hands. so i dont no

Flygning
02-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know about the whole sensing thing, but I would quarantine the new snake. It could have all sorts of cooties and it would be best to wash your hands before you handle your older snake. Same with pet store snakes--those could be even worse.

Spirit
02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Cooties. :laugh:, but yes... Flygning is correct.

Corny73
02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
I keep them in two completely different rooms just so they wont see each other at all. I hope to mate them later on but I dont want them to know the other exists lol

Flygning
02-21-2005, 02:45 PM
It isn't whether they see each other or not. If your new snake has some sort of disease and you handle it, then you can transfer that disease to your older snake. You should always be careful about washing your hands before handling the other snake and make sure you don't use the same supplies (same feeding tank, water dish if you happened to switch them) for both snakes unless you disinfect them. If you got your new snake with an existing condition, such as parasites or a respirtory infection, you wouldn't want to endanger your first pet.