PDA

View Full Version : o.k. not brumating...starting to make plan

o.k. not brumating...starting to make plan

bmm
07-30-2002, 04:59 AM
For breeding one pair or corns this upcoming season. I would like to run my "plan" by you guys to see what you think...

I am not going to brumate my snakes because the weather in canada does not permit either an indoor or outdoor area with a proper temp. At this house anyways :)

So I have been reading and I am going to be feeding them through the winter, etc...and then I should place the female in the males cage early March? Does this sound like a good time?

And can I move the female in with the male at this time and leave her with him a few weeks? Or just introduce them a few times for a short period of time?

I am heavily relying on this page: http://www.kingsnake.com/colubrid/index.html for most of my ideas/plans for my pair, aside from the brumation of course.
bmm

Kel
07-30-2002, 10:55 AM
I don't brumate either (never wanted to risk it) but I do cut down the amount of food, light and heat just slightly. Here's my plan - not an answer to your question, but it might be interesting for you:

Feeding: I feed my Corns once a week at the height of the breeding season and after egglaying, once every ten days September-October (or as soon as they're back to good body weight), once a fortnight November-December, back to ten days January, then move up to weekly feeds as soon as I see the first mating.

Heating: I give them the next size down heat mat in November & December. It lowers the ambient temp by a few degrees, but the central heating always gives enough background heat to ensure that they aren't tempted into full brumation. Combined, these two elements mean that they still have sufficient heat to digest properly.

Lighting: As far as light goes, I try and reset the timer switches once or twice a month, to the photpoeriod in their natural habitat (http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp is a good source for the sunrise/sunset times).

I can't comment on the best time to introduce males to females as mine live together all year round - a big no-no for some folks here, who will be better placed to advise on that one.

Cheers and the best of luck
Kel

Vedica
07-30-2002, 01:58 PM
I like what Kel said about lowering the ambient temps a bit, reducing the food. Corn snakes will readily breed successfully without brumation. Think about all those corns living in Florida and Alabama where I live. Our last winter was so mild my hognoses failed to produce anything. We had stretches of days in the low 70s. You can lower the temps to the high 60s and trick the snakes into breeding mode. Lety us know how you do.

Vedica
07-30-2002, 02:02 PM
I would however, separate the breeding males and females. While Kel's method for keeping them together works, you would probably have a greater success rate if you separated them during the year. If you have Brazilian Rainbows though, then you can keep them together, but corns are different. Good Luck!:D

bmm
07-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the repiles!

I do keep my males and females seperate during the year, I was wondering if during the time when they would be getting "frisky" should I put them together for a month or so to ensure they have mated a couple times? I know some people keep the breeders together for a short time, while others just introduce the female for the copulation, then remove her right away. I was wondering whats best.

bmm :)