PDA

View Full Version : It's alive!

It's alive!

dionythicus
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I bought an '03 Carolina corn about a month ago, who snapped up three pinks the first time I fed him. Then, nothing. I tried everything I could think of, and I knew he was hungry because he was prowling. So today as I was serving the f/t pinks on a platter (deli cup lid, nothing fancy in this house), I had one on the platter already in his tank and had the other in the tweezers. He saw the jiggly pink coming at him and he ATTACKED! When that one was gone, I picked up the other pink with the tweezers, jiggled it and voila! Apparently no one at the pet store where I got him knew he had been fed on live pinks (I trust this store would have told me if they had known, they'd only had him a week). I figure I can jiggle pinks if it makes him happy.

My other problem feeder, the '04 snow with four regurges to his credit, has kept down two pinky heads this week with the help of Nutribac. Fingers crossed everyone!

howiet4702
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
My other problem feeder, the '04 snow with four regurges to his credit, has kept down two pinky heads this week with the help of Nutribac. Fingers crossed everyone!

That's the news I wanted to hear :)

Mangrove
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
(I trust this store would have told me if they had known, they'd only had him a week). I figure I can jiggle pinks if it makes him happy.

I was wondering where you purchased him? Is it a like pet co or was it a herpetology society.

A herpetology society wants what is best for the snake where a pet co wants the money and is usually loosely educated on reptiles. Pet stores are also good places to get parasites and bugs.

I hope both of your snakes turn out okay and this is just like a phase

Best wishes Mangrove
:wavey:

HadesBP18
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
My hatchling bit the pinkie on the head and just sat there. Like yours, he wouldn't eat until I started poking the pinkie with the tongs. It was odd. The breeder said he just moved them to f/t's without any problems. I just hope I don't end up poking mice when he gets older -_-

Glad to hear your corns are doing well.

MegF.
02-24-2005, 12:49 AM
An '03 is pretty old to be eating pinkies. How come he's not on adult mice by now? My '04 hatchlings are on 2 fuzzies by now.

starwarsdad
02-24-2005, 08:23 AM
An '03 is pretty old to be eating pinkies. How come he's not on adult mice by now? My '04 hatchlings are on 2 fuzzies by now.

That's kind of what I was thinking...

Alias47
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Me too...depending on it's size...(and the correct information from the pet store where it was purchased!!)...it should be into hoppers or even adult mice.

dionythicus
02-24-2005, 12:47 PM
He's not big enough for adult mice or that's what I'd be feeding him. He's probably a late '03, or a well fed early '04 (but he's bigger than my Okee who was hatched in May of last year). He had gone a month without eating anything so I didn't want to shove something too large at him. Not every snake wants prey that is size appropriate. Some prefer an easier, smaller meal and more of them.

MegF.
02-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Just remember,pinkies don't offer much nutrition wise. They lack bone mass and such. You're better off getting him on a hopper at least, or even a fuzzy has more to offer.

dionythicus
02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll be jiggling a fuzzy at him this w/e. I'm sure he'll be fine. Thanks.

Alias47
02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I always thought the same thing as Meg...but I searched out this post from Hurley...it explains the nutritional value of the various stages of mice and rats.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17820&page=2&pp=10&highlight=Protein

MegF.
02-24-2005, 07:15 PM
That's very interesting, because I believe Connie also mentioned that fuzzies are better nutritionally. Now that we are slitting the mice, larger mice are easier to digest. As far as calcium in pinkies, I would figure that you would hope they all had a good milk band to provide such. If they hadn't fed before being killed, you wouldn't have that. Anyway, good info there.

Alias47
02-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I remember someone (I believe it was Connie) mentioning that they intentionally choose the pinks with the largest visible milk bands...

MegF.
02-25-2005, 08:06 PM
The problem would be if you bought a bunch of frozen/thawed pinks and you didn't have the choice of making sure they all were well-fed.

dionythicus
02-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, the Carolina ate a fuzzy today after a bit of wiggling and jiggling.

And my snow baby got a whole teeny pinky with slits and Nutribac. We'll see. He's kept down three heads and he's getting really thin, so I took him up to a whole day old pink.

It's a learning curve, I tell you.