PDA

View Full Version : Not constricting when eating...

Not constricting when eating...

fergen8er
02-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Right now my corn eats one large pinkie every 5-6 days. He however makes no attempt to constrict it and often eats it tail end first. I have no choice right now but to feed him live because I cannot get frozen where I live without ordering on the internet. The petstore here sales pinkies for for about $.50 a piece so it's not a terrible price to pay compared to what some other posters have said. I know that feeding live pinkies and fuzzies won't endanger the snake and I have no moral/humane issues with it. My only concern is that since he doesn't try to constrict the pinkie does this mean he won't constrict later when he is large enough to eat something that could possibly hurt him. I guess it won't matter if I get f/t mice anyways but what if he doesn't eat those and I'm forced to try live? Will he try to constrict in a situation that the food doesn't sit there? Will instinct kick in? I was hoping someone would have had experience with this.

Thank You
Richard :crazy02:

MERCURY
02-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi, when my snow corn was small he never constricted either untill he went on to fuzzies, He's been constricting ever since.

Regards
Stuart

KatieL
02-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Sienna never constricted when I fed her live pinks/fuzzies (well, I think she did once or twice, but thats it), and now that I've switched to frozen/thawed she doesn't even attempt to constrict. I guess its alright though. Maybe if you feed larger mice (live ones) you could stun them first, and that will prevent any harm coming to your snake if he choses not to constrict. I think there's a thread floating around called "stun mice" or something like that, and it goes into the details of how people go about doing that. You could do a search and find it if you are interested. Good luck. :)

oldhand
02-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Is he eating? If yeah then you have nothing to worry about.

My boa constricts (everytime), but my corns dont, my adult never has in 5 years, and my yearling has constricted about 5 times in the last 14-15 monthes and by hatchling never has.

MegF.
02-24-2005, 09:23 AM
My amel constricts every frozen/thawed mouse I put in there. Some of my hatchlings will, but only if I shake it, or hold on to the tail and simulate it fighting when they have a hold of it. Otherwise, the rest just eat it. Aside from it looking kind of cool, there's nothing wrong with them just downing a f/t mouse. Maybe a little more exercise, but if you handle your snakes often, that shouldn't be an issue.

Jynx
02-24-2005, 09:59 AM
easy way to put it...our snakes are pampered and lazy! :)

Mykuhl
02-25-2005, 05:00 AM
I have noticed that my one young corn did not constrict the live pink mice that I fed it or even the day old live pinky rat, he just started swallowing them head first. Although as soon as he was moved up to a larger and older rat pinky he decided to constrict it. I think it may have something to do with movement and the size of the prey item. I have witnessed something similar with my sub adult butter corn. He does not constrict the F/T adult mice but will constrict the live fuzzy rats.