PDA

View Full Version : slitting eggs?

slitting eggs?

Vedica
07-30-2002, 04:51 PM
Is it advisable to slit eggs after a couple of neonates have pipped? What if a snake is frightened and pulls its head back into the egg? Just want some advice. Thanks.

Tim Madsen
07-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I've never seen any good come from slitting eggs. Snakes don't all hatch on the same day, it can take several days. Be patient. IMHO

Matt L
07-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Vedica,
I would have to agree. One of my clutches this year stretched out over 7 days for hatching. If they have "pipped", give them some time, they will come out of the egg when they are ready.

Matt L.

Darin Chappell
07-31-2002, 12:30 PM
Vedica,

I'll go one step further and say that any snake that cannot get itself out of the egg was probably not going to make it for long even if you did help in some way. So, I just never slit eggs or encourage babies out of them in any way. If they hatch and can get out by themselves, it has been my experience that they are much less likely to be a problem later on.

It is hard to wait though! Good luck --

Darin

Jadie.Glitch
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't know if it is the same concept but I would like to think so:

I heard a story once about a man who found a cacoon in his garden. He watched and studied the cacoon waiting for the butterfly living inside of it to emerge. Finally after what seemed like days, he noticed that it was ever so slowly coming out of it's shell. He pulled up a lawn chair and sat there watching this (possibly) once in a lifetime event. After what seemed like forever, he started to get worried. He saw the tiny little critter struggling and struggling and he knew he had to do something. He went to his shed, pulled out some rose pruners and proceeded to make a tiny little cut in the cacoon to help the butterfly out. It worked! It easly climbed out of the cacoon and he was really pleased with himself. He reclaimed his place in his lawn chair to watch it unfold it's wings and take flight. Once again forever passed before any action from the little critter. it just sat there, all fat and engorged... crinkled wings and all. After what seemed like an eternity, it all of a sudden fell from it's perch on the branch and died. He was puzzled and a little sad. "What happened?"... he immediatly went inside and googled it. He came to a site that explained what happened. When butterflies are emerging from their cacoon, the struggle that they must endure pushes their fluids down their body and forces it into their new wings. If it had been left alone, that "struggle" he was seeing would have actually made the butterfly stronger and would have allowed it to use the beautiful wings it spend so long creating in that cacoon.

Now this story is paraphrased by me so I am not sure that I got EVERYTHING right in it, but I have always felt that all life is the same way. If it was meant to be then nature would take it's course and the creature will be stronger because of it. This is a little off topic, but I believe the same is true for human babies as well when it comes to C-sections. But please don't flame me, I know that there is a time and a place for that sort of thing but I have friends who scheduled their babies to come early, and when they didn't, they just set up a time that was convenient for them (not their baby) and had it removed from their bodies. I think that is very odd and when the baby (or snake) is ready, it will come.

Corny Noob
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow this is a 6 year old topic.

Jadie.Glitch
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh snap... really? Lol that is too funny. I didn't realize that I had gone back so far... rofl! :crazy02:

patm1313
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh snap... really? Lol that is too funny. I didn't realize that I had gone back so far... rofl! :crazy02:

Did you click on a link in that "similar threads" box? If so then you are almost going into a very old thread.

Jadie.Glitch
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes, I did! That explains it :) thanks!:rofl:

scubadiver
04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
I sorta disagree with those who said not to. I had a snake a few years back that was coming out but my father scared it back in like 5 times. It apparently tried to get out through the bottom and the sides unfortunantely it was the middle egg so the only way ot was the top well he stayed in to long and got to big to turn around and get out so my dad cut open the egg. The snake was a little tempermentle at first but now he is one of my favorites. His name is snapy. I believe I posted a picture of him in the photo gallery but I'm not sure. Any way what I'm saying is all mine have hatched unless something we did disturbed them from comeing out. all the babies that didn't hatch we cut open just to see why. It turns out one of my older breeders has a slight gene mutation or someting that only comes out if bred back to one of the parents. Son to mother is how we found out.
Hope this helps.

Corny Noob
04-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Well that situation could have been avoided in the first place though if the pippie had just been left alone....

Jadie.Glitch
04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Are snakes like most other animals? Meaning, is it bad to inner-breed with them? I have heard mention of this before (like here) but I wasn't sure. Obviously in this situation it was bad but is it always?