PDA

View Full Version : twitching spasms

twitching spasms

ucaqt
02-28-2005, 07:04 PM
I took my corn out to give her the antibiotic shot today,(she has a mild RI) while handling her a bit her whole body started to twitch. It felt like a muscle spasm. She did it mildly at the vet hospital and he didn't pay to much attention to it. Todays episode was longer and much stronger. She is very active and a great eater. It didn't seem to affect her much, but I know it is not normal. Has anyone had experience with this before or do I have a wierd one on my hands? Having adopted her out a terrible situation I am sure she did not recieve proper care before me. Any ideas?

Jynx
02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
I have that problem with one female. She has a problem with chronic RI's every year. She will also go through small spasm fits as well. I've talked to my vet about it and he believes it is nothing to worry about, that it may be her body's reaction to the RI, and that small "shivering" fits may help to keep her temp up. The same thing is observed in pythons in the wild while "incubating" clutches. They will wrap themselves around their clutch and "shiver" to create friction, which creates heat. As long as she is still eating and getting noticably better, and not worse, you should be fine.

enginerd
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
... that they were in a terrible situation? Cause if they were then it is good you got them out. Anyway, have you ever seen the snake twitch when you are not holding it? Or is it just when you pick it up? I have a snake that doesn't like to be held, and it twitches sometimes when I pick him up.

Justin

breedingcolors
03-02-2005, 01:15 PM
:-offtopic

Sorry but what is RI?

Joejr14
03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
:-offtopic

Sorry but what is RI?

Respitory Infection.

moreptiles
03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
RI is short for Respiratory Infection

Mark

Serpwidgets
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
The full-body twitching (about one twitch per second or so) is a mode of communication for them. They are reacting to being touched. By itself it says nothing good or bad, it just says that they are a cornsnake. Also, it doesn't mean that they do or don't like being handled.

It tends to happen more frequently during breeding season, but I've got some that will do that any time of the year. You can often set it off by stroking the back of their neck. :)

ucaqt
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
There was an investigation about the health and well being of the animals in a particular house. yada, yada, yada anyways I ended up with this snake. She had no heat at all. I'm not sure how often she was being fed, she looks a little thin. Any how, it was a bad place and now she is out of there.

She twitches when she is in the viv. by herself and being held. Her RI is clearing up wonderfully. I haven't held her much, don't want more stress on her, but when I do to medicate her she is very sweet.

Someone at the reptile show last weekend mentioned that his female twitches in breeding season and that it might have something to do with ovulating. Does anyone know anything about that?

I see a vast improvement in her health and she about to shed. I don't understand the mentality of those who can abuse animals.

snake novice
03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
did you acquire from the bad environment? It isn't the same female normal that you recently acquired is it? Because as far as I know, there was no investigation into the health and well being for those snakes.

CZ

ucaqt
03-14-2005, 09:48 PM
No not the ones I got from you. It was one I recieved earlier. No worries.