PDA

View Full Version : After the regurge

After the regurge

Maize
03-02-2005, 06:05 PM
we had a regurge a while back. Our snake is still just a hatchling. We waited 10 days then just a pinky head, then 5 days pinky head, 5 days pinky head, 5 days pinky body, 5 days pinky body. Then 5 days and tried a pinky body, he wasn't interested didn't eat. The other times he ate great and acted even hungry looking for more, but we didn't give him more.

Now should we wait another 5 days and try again? Or could I wait a couple of days and try another pinky body?

The other thing I'm wondering is he might be getting ready to shed. It's been over a month since he shed last time. Although last time he shed I could tell it was coming, his eyes turned gray and everything. I haven't seen that yet.

While going through the post regurge process does shedding times lengthen?

Thanks ya'll

tim88
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
He is obviously in the shedding process, and that is why he refused to eat. Just wait till one day after he sheds and he will most certainly go after the pinky.

The length of time between sheds is affected by the amount of food the snake eats, the more they eat the less time between sheds.

louiseypees
03-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I've never dealt with a regurge myself (yet!) but I've heard that the scent of the brain of a pinkie can contribute to how much your snake wants to eat it - you may want to try him on another pinkie head next time, a body scented with the brain, or even a whole one?

As for how long to wait until the next feed after a refusal, I'm not sure - I'd probably cave in and try mine again after 3 days instead of waiting the full five, but this really is where I'll need to hand over to someone who's more experienced.

I wouldn't be so sure he's about to shed though - if it's been around a month, during which time he's been eating a lot less than usual, he may take longer as he probably hasn't grown as much as a snake who hadn't suffered the regurge. Just look out for the blue eyes and then you'll known for sure (although it might not stop him eating - mine eat like pigs when they're shedding!).

MegF.
03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
You should wait until your next scheduled feeding period in 5 days. Frequently offering to give a snake food can lead to refusal. My male is off food right now (going on week 7) and he still only gets offered each week. It sounds like your hatchling may be getting ready to shed, in which case waiting may show you more signs of the fact. As long as it's acting healthy in other respects, I wouldn't worry too much.