PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Sterlites

Preparing Sterlites

CornsnakeKeeper
07-31-2002, 07:53 PM
How do those of yout hat use rubbermaid or sterlite boxes prepare them for their new guests? Should I put air holes in the side or the top and how do I determine if I have enough? I'm gonna try them for this years purchases instead of the many aquariums I have. Thanks for any input...

Colleen
07-31-2002, 08:10 PM
I put small holes around the entire lid and a few in the center, then I put three down each long side and two down the short side.(shoebox size) Just be careful if the lids have those snap-down kind of locks, my little ones can amazingly squeeze themselves through that little crack. I have found the Sterlite boxes work the best cause the lids seem the fit more tightly.
Hope this helps!!

Colleen

PS. If your gonna stack them then you will probably need more holes around the sides.:D

kenalotia
07-31-2002, 08:14 PM
What do you use to make the holes? I'm thinking of using that kind of caging for my new snakes (which I don't have yet) when they get a bit bigger. For now I have the 10 gallon tank that Frank's grown out of, and a 5 gallon tank that would work for a hatchling.

CornsnakeKeeper
07-31-2002, 08:20 PM
I put holes through the lid of one so far. I used a nail from the inside and then removed it. Perfect sized hole without the hassle of getting a drill out.

What should I use to lock them? What does everyone else you? Mine latch on the short sides...not with any special latch or anything though. I can still lift up the long sided part of the lid towards the center...and corns are escape artists...so what should I use? Setting books on top is not attractive...:rolleyes:

HomeBreeder
07-31-2002, 09:43 PM
ventilating:

I use a dremmel tool. It's such a high-speed drill that it leaves few rough edges, and it's light enough I don't have to stop after one or two tubs like I would using my "real drill".

I try to be liberal with the holes, but if condensation collects inside the tub I'll usually add more ventilation.

locking:

Well, for tubs that don't go into a lidless rack system I stack them 3 or 4 high and put a 2.5 lbs weight on top. I actually have 5 and 10's I use for bigger snakes, too :)

I forgot to weight the top of one of my stacks one day, and a couple hours later Sunrise wanders out from behind my stereo to say, "Hello". She laid eggs the next day :) I think it was a combo-factor of forgeting the weight and her wanting to lay that made her break free. Can't say how glad I am it wasn't a shy snake at the top of the stack - so now I put the outgoing ones on top so that if they *do* get out they'll hopefully come to play rather than run and hide.

^Curtis

Khaman
07-31-2002, 10:21 PM
I use a soldering gun to put the holes in but I have never used weights to hold them in.

CK2434
08-01-2002, 02:15 AM
what i did was i put about 15 holes on the long side (triangle shape pattern) at the top and about 6 or 7 hols on the short side with a sodering gun then for hides and stuff i used shoeboxes 1 on each side and a log in the middle and a heat pad it doesnt melt the plastic and my rubbermades are big they will last the snakes theier whole life o and i use velcro so they cant get out

Warren
08-01-2002, 02:42 AM
In the past we have most often used a sodering iron to put holes in the boxes. This provides a smooth edge on the inside of the box. A plus for your new snake. I don't know if the other methods mentioned leave an inside edge or not but this is what has worked for us. We most often put air holes along the sides of the cage.
Good luck and heres hoping that you have loads of fun w/ your new arrivals!!

L8r,
wc

CornsnakeKeeper
08-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone...
and WC, I will, if the show ever gets here! LOL