PDA

View Full Version : Kisahatchie corns?

Kisahatchie corns?

Vedica
08-01-2002, 05:37 PM
I am interested in locale specific corns, Miamis, Okeetees, Upper Keys, , etc. I was wondering if the Kisahatchie corn of Louisiana(as it has been named) is an actual corn or an intergrade with emoryi. Rich, perhaps you can throw in your two cents worth. I would really like to know.

kenalotia
08-01-2002, 06:08 PM
There's a debate about that. No one is really sure if they're pure corn or an intergrade. Then again, a lot of people consider emoryi to be just another locale specific corn, in which case Kisatchies are pure corn either way. :)

Clint Boyer
08-01-2002, 11:18 PM
I believe that they are a local specific corn, much the same as the Keys corn. I think they are one branch of the family tree that includes guttata, emoryi and rosacea. There is no reason to think that they have to be an emoryi intergrade just because the ranges may over lap and they don't fit into either group.

Darin Chappell
08-02-2002, 02:28 PM
I just spoke to Don Soderberg recently on this very subject. He had an idea abou this, and I tend to think it is correct. Don suggested that the Kisatchies ARE a natural occurring intergrade, and that the biggest reason for his suspicion is the number and size of the eggs his females produce.

Emoryii snakes have much fewer and larger eggs than E.g.guttatas. In his experience, Don said that he had never had a Kisatchie produce more than fifteen eggs (I think he said his highest ever was thirteen, but I can't recall firmly). Of course, we all know that this is in line with creamsicle production numbers, but a corn will have 15, 20, 25 or more eggs on a regular basis.

Given that information, I am inclined to accept Kisatchies as a natural intergrade. However, I still think that the E.g.emoryii are just locale specific corns. So, in my opinion, it doesn't much matter.

Just my $.02 worth -- Darin