PDA

View Full Version : How long??

How long??

Jimmy C.
08-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how long do you leave the males with the females when they are breeding. Should I leave them together until I see eggs just to make sure?
I tried breeding 2 pairs and I saw the mating process almost immediately so I waited for about 50 days and then I separated them. The females started to look fatter went though their shed and no eggs. It has been over 3 weeks since and no eggs.
I am not sure if I did something wrong or maybe my snakes just can't get gravid.:(
They dont have snakey condoms do they.:) Just kidding.
Thanks for your help,
Jimmy C.

Jimmy C.
08-02-2002, 12:39 PM
oh yeah, there was a nesting box in each viv.
Jimmy C.

Simon
08-02-2002, 01:41 PM
Well....
I think that most breeders do it this way.
They put the male in to the females enclosure (or the other way round) and then leave them in there for a day or two. Then take the one that was put in, out. Let the male rest for a few days or maybe even a week and the put them back together. Most breeders do this for at least 4 times (so this procedure takes at least a month) This way, they male wouldn't get 'bored' from breeding because they are living with the female. Doing it this way will help stimulate the male's desire for breeding....
hope this helped and better luck next year!

Neil
08-02-2002, 07:02 PM
Yeah, what Simon said is right and most breeders do it that way.
Did you brumate your snakes because sometimes that is necessary. Also, during the warm-up after brumation you should get the male too warm or I read somewhere that this can cause temporary infertility.
Another good reason for mating the pair several times is that sometimes the female produces double-clutches, which are always nice.
Hope you have better luck next time,
Neil.

Neil
08-04-2002, 10:03 AM
Oops, I made a typo in my last post.
I meant to say you SHOULDN'T get the male too warm.
Thanks.

Jimmy C.
08-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks Neil and Simon,
I didn't hibernate my snakes. A breeder here told me that she has never hibernated hers and have always been lucky.Maybe I need to.
I didnt just mate them once I left them together for almost two months so I am sure there was alot more action than that one time that I saw it.
Thanks again maybe Ill have better next season.
Jimmy C.