PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

just wondering

Snakes&Ladders
03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
will the snake find where the water dish is in the viv? it seems i am adding more water to the cave, but not sure if my corn is actually drinking??I think the water is just evapourating......
Might their be signs of me knowing my corn isn't drinking, if so will someone let me know what to look for, or if their is a way to get water into the snakes system???? ty all help would be great :cheers:

CAV
03-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I've never had a snake that couldn't find water. If your snake is still alive, chances are it is drinking water. Just make sure that the height of the dish isn't so tall that the snake can't reach inside and you'll be fine. :)

Spirit
03-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Just a tip, but you should probably be dumping the water and washing the bowl, rather than just topping it up.

Also, what CAV said. :)

JTGoff69
03-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Just a tip, but you should probably be dumping the water and washing the bowl, rather than just topping it up.

Also, what CAV said. :)

Both are true, I remove, scrub, and replace the water in my snakes' vivs twice a week, some do it more. Either way, replace, and replenish! LOL :wavey:

MegF.
03-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Generally speaking, if the bottom of the bowl feels slippery, the water's not being changed enough. Since I had a regurge, I change my water almost daily. Usually, no more than 2 days will go by without cleaning and replacing the water. My big male is looking for women right now, so he's constantly climbing thru his bowl, getting aspen in it, and generally creating a mess, so his is changed constantly.

Spirit
03-12-2005, 12:11 AM
For sure, Meg. I can be kind of lazy about putting in fresh water, but I always make sure to check it daily. If there's ANY substrate in it, or if I've seen my snake soaking, I'll change it immediately. Otherwise I'll do it every couple days (and the least). Daily is good.

DdotSpot
03-12-2005, 08:43 AM
I've never had a snake that couldn't find water. If your snake is still alive, chances are it is drinking water. Just make sure that the height of the dish isn't so tall that the snake can't reach inside and you'll be fine. :)

You mean I shouldn't just put a glass of water in there? What if I put a bendy straw in the glass?

E. g. guttata
03-12-2005, 01:24 PM
There are ways of telling that you snake is dehydrated, but they are very obvious. There will be a dark spot about two thirds of the way down the body, just before the vent. This is the gall bladder. If your snake is not drinking, then it starts showing a little. The last thing you want is a snake who dies from dehydration (trust me, had it happen). Sometimes the snake cannot find the waterbowl, but they will usually die before someone has the chance to sell them. If your snake is alive right now, chances are that it drinks. If it drinks but still has that dark spot on it, then it's only drinking at night because it's not comfortable drinking in the day time, when it gets thirsty. That can be solved by juat covering the cage and letting little to no light in for a few days, and slowly letting in more and more light (been through that one too). I wouldn't worry about your snake right now unles you see that dark spot on him, and then just let him sit in darkness for the next few days. It is a good idea to clean out the water bowl constantly though. Twice a week or so is usually a good rule of thumb for cleaning.

kathylove
03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Always put the water bowl on the perimeter of the cage. Babies tend to cruise the perimeter at night and will find it more quickly than if you set it in the middle of the cage. Of course, older snakes and established babies will find it pretty quickly no matter where you put it.

dracosangel
03-12-2005, 10:57 PM
if you think your snake isn't getting enough water one way to check if it is dehydrated is if the skin sticks together when you gentely pinch it

Spirit
03-13-2005, 12:20 AM
huh? Does that actually work with snakes? I know that's how you check with cats (and maybe dogs)...

At any rate, your snake will look wrinkly (or like loose skin) if it's dehydrated, but more than likely you're worrying for no reason. Most people almost never see their snakes drink.

Snakes&Ladders
03-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for the quick respone.
I have noticed my snake drink, so that has taken all worries out....
In regards to the loose/wrinkles skin, i have noticed when she lies their, u can almost see her tense her muscles, which will make a slight U shape on the back side, which i think is cool, to see a snake flex that much muscle....
And my corn has got all their bright colours back after a terrific shed..
Have you ever watched a snaked shed????
I admire my corns so much, That I stood and watched her shed for almost 2 1/2 hours, what a great experiance that was, it was almost as if she would look at me for help, looked very helpless, and irritated, but she managed, and i must say now, I can't wait to watch the next shed :wavey:

DdotSpot
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Wow...you are very fortunate to get to watch it, I hope to catch mine shed sometime...haven't got to yet!

mbdorfer
03-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Wow, no kidding? I see mine shed all the time!

KatieL
03-14-2005, 04:28 PM
We caught Sienna shedding once, and we thought it was great too!

We even snapped a few pictures in the process (and by "we" I mean Jeff, because he has the mad photography skills).
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17748

Its tricky to catch the little buggers shedding, lucky you!

E. g. guttata
03-16-2005, 06:43 AM
I went five years without seeing either of my snakes shed once. Then I got to see my male one day, and have seen just about every shed from all my snakes afterwards. Very interesting when they all shed on consecutive days.