PDA

View Full Version : cornsnakes in CA?

cornsnakes in CA?

herplover
03-12-2005, 07:40 PM
well im new to cornsnakes and i was wondering if they live in CA i know we have garter snakes but im not sure about corns oh and also if we do get them what type of habitat would they be in?thanks!

mbdorfer
03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry, corns have not been struck with gold fever.
I do believe they may have gone as far west as Utah.
But this may be debateable (is that a word) :shrugs:
You all have some awesome lampropeltis though!

herplover
03-12-2005, 08:27 PM
are lampropeltis king snakes?and where abouts in CA do they live? northern or southern?

mbdorfer
03-12-2005, 09:20 PM
are lampropeltis king snakes?and where abouts in CA do they live? northern or southern?
Yes and Yes.
You have zonata the mountain kings, there are 7 subspecies(last time I checked) that range from Oregon to the Baja Peninsula of Mexico.
And getula , the common king,lampropeltis californiae which is found throughout most of the state

CAV
03-13-2005, 12:40 AM
And Rubber Boas, don't forget the Rubber Boas! :cheers:

dionythicus
03-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Before the non-corn police get us...don't forget gophersnakes and rosy boas! Rubber boas might be protected? They are in WA.

herplover
03-13-2005, 11:53 AM
wow i dident know we get so many diffrent snakes in ca ill have to go out and search for some cuz the only one that ive seen was a gophersnake but id love to see a rosy boa and a rubber boa ill have to find somthing that will tell me what kind of habitat they live in

TrpnBils
03-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Keep in mind you also have rattlesnakes....be careful lifting things if you're looking for snakes because you may end up on Animal Planet's "Venom ER" show...lol

Rosebear
03-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Herplover, I don't know where in CA you are...I'm up north where we have kings and a variety of rattlers (one of the reasons I was sssssssssSO terrified of snakes as a kid). I know I'll be perusing those coiled creatures with a different eye as I'm hiking this year! While I don't know that I'll be trying to capture a kingsnake, at least I'll know them from their counterparts this year, and appreciate them for their beauty and contribution to the ecosystem!

herplover
03-14-2005, 01:21 PM
hey rosebear im up north to where abouts do you go hiking? id love to find some kings and other snakes and where you go hiking are they easy to find?

Rosebear
03-15-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm in the vicinity of Chico. I found a King in Bidwell park last year, quietly curled in the shadow of a tree root along one of the trails in the upper park, I think it was April. I've also encountered a king in the foothills east of Oroville while wandering about. I'm sure I've got wild kings on my property, and I've got rattlers for sure. We have a decent sized piece of fairly wild land...with a stream running through, and loads of blackberry brambles. I've hiked around in Lassen Nat'l Park quite a bit, and never run across a snake yet. Lots of other critters, but no snakes.

How far away are you?

herplover
03-15-2005, 11:47 AM
oh im about 2 hours away from there im more near SF but i do have some friends who live up in gualala so i could go hiking there when i go visit them somtime so thanks for telling me!

MegF.
03-19-2005, 12:51 AM
We also have some very nice red racers, a few ring necks and of course, the southern pacific rattler and mojave green nearby. San Diego area you can get the red diamondbacks (c.ruber ruber), and near the arizona boarder, you might find an occasional great basin rattler. Northern Cal. you get the northern pacific rattler too.

Quigs
03-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Keep in mind you also have rattlesnakes....be careful lifting things if you're looking for snakes because you may end up on Animal Planet's "Venom ER" show...lol
Never fear! Dr. Sean Bush is one of the best in the business, especially when it comes to the So Pacs! Although, you might have to be air lifted to Loma Linda University depending on where you live.

:crazy02:

MegF.
03-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Wouldn't mind meeting him in person, but not that way!! We handle rattlesnakes for our snake avoidance training for dogs, but we use a snake stick. There are some in Bob's collection that I just won't handle as they are too aggressive. I leave those for him-the professional- to worry about.

TrpnBils
03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
We handle rattlesnakes for our snake avoidance training for dogs
What kind of work do you do?

MegF.
03-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I have a regular job as an X-ray technologist for a hospital, but each year we put on three or four Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics for dogs as a fundraiser for our Quail Unlimited group.

Rosebear
03-23-2005, 01:34 AM
We also have some very nice red racers, a few ring necks and of course, the southern pacific rattler and mojave green nearby. San Diego area you can get the red diamondbacks (c.ruber ruber), and near the arizona boarder, you might find an occasional great basin rattler. Northern Cal. you get the northern pacific rattler too.

Oh yeah....we get the snotty ones...almost all of the vipers are descendents of the Western rattler. While I've seen the occasional king and garter, I've seen far more than my share of the Pacific rattler, commonly called a "timber" rattler up here...they have that greenish tint and hang out in the forested areas (too danged hot in the upper Central Valley!) I'm just grateful I can LOOK this year and SEE what I'm historically totally petrified by. This is HUGE for me. I was raised to be terrified of snakes, and it worked! I can't believe I'm so enamored of my lil guy! And planning on expanding!! :eek1:

MegF.
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Good for you!! Even the poisonous ones will grow on you. I find them as fascinating as my corns now that I've had a chance to really see them up close and handle a few.

Jynx
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
oh man if you guys want to see some rattlers....I think we have the worst. Az is home to I think 10 or 11 different kinds (at least). I got caught by a small diamondback when I was younger, and have a pretty cool scar to show for it, but my parents got me to a hospital so nothing really happened. Friend of mine actually breeds diamondbacks, timbers, pygmys and mojaves (those are the nasty ones). I don't know why he does it. He has a huge rack set up and every time you walk into that room, the racks start buzzing like crazy.

TrpnBils
03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Friend of mine actually breeds diamondbacks, timbers, pygmys and mojaves (those are the nasty ones). I don't know why he does it. He has a huge rack set up and every time you walk into that room, the racks start buzzing like crazy.

I don't know why any of them do it, but I sure give them credit... Every once in awhile I'll go over to the Kingsnake.com venomous forums and just look at the pictures for something to do. The snakes look awesome, but that takes more guts than I think I have...even if I was more experienced.

Rosebear
03-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Even the poisonous ones will grow on you.
While I sincerely appreciate the sentiment...I have to doubt the reality!
Those suckers have scared the beejeebers out of me since I was old enought to scream! *rotfl* The good news is that I understand much better, so shan't invade their territory nearly as often!

You folks are THE BEST!!

cornsnakekid92
03-31-2005, 09:16 AM
i use too live in Ca. but id not know much bout snakes then, now i live in pa. and i would love it if i could still live there- i want to get a rosy boas but my parents wont let me, if i still lived there i would just go hiking and find one.