PDA

View Full Version : there's a wierd lump that has been in his belly for about two weeks now

there's a wierd lump that has been in his belly for about two weeks now

dracosangel
03-12-2005, 09:02 PM
for about two weeks now my snow corn has had a lump in the middle of his body. i think he is having trouble digesting a mouse but i am not sure. i keep his tank between 75 and 80 degrees, i haven't tried to feed him yet because i want to see what i should do about this lump. any suggestions??? :shrugs: :shrugs:

Spirit
03-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Firstly, take it to a vet.

Secondly, warm side 80-85 (82-83), cool side 70-75 (72-73).

Thirdly, can you post a pic? How old/young is the snake?

Fourthly, welcome to the forums!

FIFTHLY... congrats on the new snake and I'm sorry you had to start out this way... hopefully we can help. :)

dracosangel
03-12-2005, 09:14 PM
he is about 4 yrs. old and just over 4 1/2 feet long
i am unable to post picture right now but can later
thank you for the welcome and your advise i do intend on taking him to the vet

Spirit
03-12-2005, 09:21 PM
How long have you had him now (I'm assuming 2 weeks)? Is this your first snake?

Feeding him shouldn't cause any problems that I can think of (can't just let him starve), but he IS big enough that a few weeks without food isn't going to phase him a bit.

dracosangel
03-12-2005, 10:11 PM
i have had him for about 4 yrs. and he was one of my first snakes, but i have never encountered this problem out of any of my snakes befor. i have three total,2 snowcorns and one red. the two snowcorns are males and the red one is a female. how many do you have?

Susan
03-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I hate looking on the worst side of things, but you should definately get your snake to a vet. And quarantine it from the rest of your snakes. One of the symptoms of cryptosporidiosis is a swollen stomach. I pray that it is not, but I had to warn you.

Joejr14
03-13-2005, 11:58 AM
for about two weeks now my snow corn has had a lump in the middle of his body. i think he is having trouble digesting a mouse but i am not sure. i keep his tank between 75 and 80 degrees, i haven't tried to feed him yet because i want to see what i should do about this lump. any suggestions??? :shrugs: :shrugs:

Your tank temps are fine, there is nothing wrong with the temps being between 75-80. Corns do not need 82-85 on the warm side to thrive.

dracosangel
03-13-2005, 05:39 PM
thank you every one for your advise.:)
i tried giving him a warm bath both today and yesturday each about 15 - 20 min. fallowed by a massage still nothing. the lump is about the size and shape of a mouse and does not seem hard at all. is it possible that the mouse was too big and got stuck? i mean i've never heard of it but is it possible

JTGoff69
03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
thank you every one for your advise.:)
i tried giving him a warm bath both today and yesturday each about 15 - 20 min. fallowed by a massage still nothing. the lump is about the size and shape of a mouse and does not seem hard at all. is it possible that the mouse was too big and got stuck? i mean i've never heard of it but is it possible

I doubt that the mouse is stuck after 2 weeks. It would have decomposed and been digested by now. A vet trip is definitely in order. Keep us posted! :)

El Jefe
03-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Sounds like Crypto. A big, soft lump in the stomach that doesn't move up or down. Not a good sign.

There are a few experimental medications out there (sulfer based) but so far I have not seen any permanent fix. A friend of mine has a black rat with a case of it that she has had for 3 years. It eats and all....just doesn't really grow.

Take it to a vet.

Good luck,

-Jeff

StubbyUK
03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Bearing in mind you should take it to a vet as it could be something much more simple, here is a link to some information on cryptosporidiosis.

I've got all my fingers crossed that this isn't the case, but if the worst come to the worst this might be useful to you.

http://www.herpkingdom.com/CS/crypto.html

StubbyUK

dracosangel
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
well i took casper to the vet and he has crypto :cry:
:) thank you every one for you help on this problem and i hope no one else has to get bad news like this :eek1:

breedingcolors
03-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Really sorry dracosangel. Does the other 2 are ok?