PDA

View Full Version : Getting hatchling off "braining"

Getting hatchling off "braining"

Dastuff
08-02-2002, 05:00 PM
I have a sno corn about 2 months old. In order to get him to successfully eat a full pinky I have to use the paper bag method and brain the pinky. I have been doing this and then trying not braining the pinky (still with the paper bag method) every 4 or 5 days. He refuses the pinky that has not been brained. I wait a few days and resort to using a brained pinky. Any ideas of how to get my sno off of the brained pinky's? Also, what will happen when he gets bigger? Will he always want them brained?

Thanks!

Alicia
08-02-2002, 05:31 PM
2 months isn't very old. If he eats them brained I would continue to do it. Continue to offer the non-brained pinkies also he will change over when his feeding response gets strong enough. I don't believe he will only want brained prey.

SilverTongue
08-02-2002, 05:48 PM
One thing you can try and it might seem mean is give him a live pinkie. It might stir some instinct in him to want to eat. If he does then you can go back to f/t just make sure they are very warm when ya serve them and maybe even wiggle it to make him constrict it

Neil
08-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Alicia and Lisa both make good points.
Two months old is very young and you'll find that many young snakes have some sort of feeding problem, which most of them grow out of.
Like Lisa said, try feeding it a live pinkie or maybe just simulate a live prey item by shaking it near your snake so it's fooled into thinking it's alive. Also try heating that pinkie up in a cup of warm (not hot) water.
Hope it gets better soon,
Neil.