PDA

View Full Version : is my snake blind

is my snake blind

little twiglet
08-03-2002, 05:41 AM
hey guys i have a 6 week old corn and he's my first snake he has settled in really well, feeds like clockwork and he sheds with no problems. But the other day while i was handling him one of his eyes sticks out further that the other and his pupil on that eye is huge?? I'm worried about him incase hes blind and then i cant breed from him (not that thats a major issue) so any ideas before i rush to the vets and spend money i dont have :confused: :confused:

Simon
08-03-2002, 01:14 PM
This is not unheard of.
This is a case called 'bubble eyes' and that is when both eyes are bluging out.....since you said that only one eye was like that, it would be because that it's parents/grandparents/grandgrandpartent.....etc....had that symptom...... and breeding with normal corns over years and some might be het for this gene might have caused it to have one eye looking like that. If this is the case of being het....then I would suggest you not to breed it.....so that no one would get that gene anymore...

Did it have this kind of eye when you first got it? Was it like that before? If no, then it might be an eye infection and it is better to being it to a vet and get it checked.

If it's like this since the begining, then I would suggest you still get it to the vet (option if you don't have enough money....or really don't want to go...then don't...)

Try checking for response on that bludging eye....see if it would turn it's head towards you if you flick something beside that eye and not letting the other eye see......

Good Luck and happy Herping!

little twiglet
08-03-2002, 06:09 PM
thanks for the info!!

That has kinda put my mind at ease, i'm glad that someone out there can help!

I think i will take him to the vet just incase there is any infection but it was like that when i got him, can i just ask with this "bubble eyes" would this cause him any discomfort or higher risk of infection??

I will have to put some photo's of him on the site he is so beautiful really strange markings and just the sweetest little thing ever!

THANK YOU SO MUCH
:D

sandhogg
11-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I found a snake on my front porch with two large clear bubbles for his eyes. I live in Florida, and this snake resembled a rattle snake without the rattle, if theres such a snake.

I thought it best to get it out of it`s pain (or slow death if unable to hunt for food) so I took a shovel and broke his neck, and then chopped his head off. I`ve heard this is the best way to do it. The most painless!

Just one day earlier I was attcked by a larger blackish snake on that same front porch. I attempted to push it away with my feet, but it kept returning and striking at my legs. Unfortunately, for the snake I was in short pants and I wasn`t going to let it bite me, so I stomped on it. This stopped the snake from striking at me, but when I returned, well, I guess chop his head off too, it was gone.

A neighbor later told me he saw it over on his porch bleeding so he chopped it`s head off and buried it.

Any idea what`s going on?

Nanci
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you need to stop killing snakes and just leave them alone.

sandhogg
11-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the OPINION Nanci!

That`ll sure stop the death of venomus (or may not venomous) snakes. Or snakes in pain (or maybe not in pain) that can be left alone. When your opinion can help save the life of even one snake, or stop the suffering of one snake, then I`ll come-a-lookin fur ya!

Wow!
Guess we should just let`m suffer and bite kids...according to Miss Nanci

RobbiesCornField
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
*Ignoring the troll*
You really should talk to ArpeggioAngel. She has a snake that has an enlarged pupil.

starsevol
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
As a matter of fact, Nanci is an animal lover, like MOST of us here. She has done amazing things for MANY people and their animals on this forum, including ME.

If you had ANY sense at all, you would know that there IS NO SUCH STINKIN THING as a rattle snake without a rattle.
Also, snakes do not hunt by sight, completely blind snakes can hunt just fine, thank you very much!!

Seems to me, you're not only cruel, but stupid.

Nanci
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
*Ignoring the troll*

Robbie, that thread is six years old!

RobbiesCornField
11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
*Ignoring the troll*

Robbie, that thread is six years old!

Haha! Whoops.

Mark16
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
in my opinion, although i am not an expert, i would say it could be a birth defect : deformaty or mutation.. ?

sandhogg
11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHa!

No snakes were harmed in the sandhogging of
Nanci and
starsevol

Rich Z
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHa!

No snakes were harmed in the sandhogging of
Nanci and
starsevol

Troll removal, at your service...... :-poke:

Susielea
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Troll removal, at your service...... :-poke:

:roflmao: Nice one Rich! :laugh01:

MimC
11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Very good :)