PDA

View Full Version : How to kill? Plz help!

How to kill? Plz help!

Derek_cornsnake
03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I had another thread in the husbandry forum like this. But any how do i kill mice. I am going to get some this weekend and i dont want to throw them in the freezer and come back another hour later and they are dead. Pcar said sum in about gassing them?

sherry
03-15-2005, 05:26 PM
i had to kill one one time and i had my mom do it i had to call a pet store and the lady said to put it in a bag and hit its head hard, i couldnt do it and i cried after so now i buy frozen, i cant kill its to mean.

pcar
03-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Derek, I also told you to use the search function. That will help you a lot.

here are a couple of threads that you can look at:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16292&highlight=killing+mice
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14284&highlight=killing+mice
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10127&highlight=killing+mice
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302&highlight=killing+mice

Some of these threads are pretty old, but they should give you a good idea on what you should do.

you and also do a search on other things. I used "Killing mice" as my search terms. try other combinations for the same thing and see what you come up with.

JM :o)
03-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I used to answer this question on a regular basis~ but frankly it gets old typing out the same thing over and over again. The search function works. Check out the links Pcar gave you, and here are a couple more to boot.

Good luck

CO2 is considered humane:
CO2 (http://www.thereddragonsden.com/co2.htm)

Cervical dislocation is too:
cervical dislocation thread (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16536)

pcar
03-15-2005, 05:52 PM
I used to answer this question on a regular basis~ but frankly it gets old typing out the same thing over and over again. The search function works. Check out the links Pcar gave you, and here are a couple more to boot.

Good luck

Have to agree with you here JM. I told him in his other thread to search the feeder forum, and all he did was post this new thread. Oh well. Guess some people just need to be told things directly.

sputnik
03-25-2005, 07:28 PM
You need help killing a mouse? lol

reptile_addict
03-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I just flick them right where the bulls eye is!!!! Let us know how it goes. The kick for a minute but its just nerves. I perfer to make them bite me so I am glad to kill.

Hectorthesnake
03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I've had to kill mice for my friends BP. What we do, is put it like in a plastic bag, or a burlap sack or something...And then like...get a piece of wood. And slam the mouse against it....It dies super fast..But sometimes, it's sad if you don't hit it hard enough...it twitches and has seizures and stuff...

Or another way is to get the mouse in a plastic bag, grab the mouse while it's in the bag...And then grab it's head and break it's neck...I don't know...because both ways are pretty sad but it gets it done. :sobstory:

suzanne
03-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I perfer to make them bite me so I am glad to kill

Sorry but that a little sick to me.

ucaqt
04-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I use dry ice in a bucket,with a lid. They die really fast and I don't feel like I am really killing them, they are just dieing. I also kill about 30 at time then vaccum seal them and through them in the freezer.

DAND
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry but that a little sick to me.

With that kids replies, you need to consider the source. His oars don't qiute reach the water.

cocoasumatran
04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree SICK
:-puke01:

Skeet
04-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I just flick them right where the bulls eye is!!!! Let us know how it goes. The kick for a minute but its just nerves. I perfer to make them bite me so I am glad to kill.

lol....that one totaly made my day....havn't laughed that hard in a while! :cheers:

Lennycorn
04-03-2005, 08:29 PM

We call them nine volts 'cause they don't have a full charge :roflmao:

Joejr14
04-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Bite it's head off. :eatpointe

norbert03
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
fyi- i no longer take my own advice when it comes to this b/c i wind up feeling guilty or nauseous, but...

1) depending on the size/age of the mouse you can drop them. lift it over your head and drop it onto a clean, solid surface.

2) using a pencil secure the mouse noggin between a table top and the pencil and then using your thumb flick the pencil, this will break the neck of the helpless victim.

3) place the mouse inside a brown paper bag and throw it against a wall.

the end.

Russell
04-05-2005, 01:22 AM
grab rodent by the tail, base of the tail preferably, and place rodent on something he can pull on with his feet, so he's trying to move away from you, quickly place thumb and finger of choice on his neck, and make sure it's right behind is skull, as you maintain pull oh his tail to prevent his going forward, with speed, squeeze thumb and finger and at the same time your squeezing pop forward. Breaks the neck instantly if you use proper pressure and speed. Sounds awful doesn't it? But no matter what you try to tell yourself, in all the situations, your killing the rodent. I was personally shown this technique at college where I worked in a live reptile lab, and we raised our own mice. I guess I've done it so many times, I hardly think about it. But if done right, causes no bleeding, and death is instantaneous, with minimal wiggling. To those who want to scream, oh how cruel, um, do we forget what we are feeding, and what they would do if they had to kill their own??? It's not a pleasant sight, but fact is, Nature is hardly ever up to our standard of um, humane treatment!!!
Russell Keys
Keys Reptiles

tat2d1
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
drop the mouse in a sock and then bap it off the wall. it's quick and instant. that's how i used to do it anyhow. now i just order in bulk from rodentpro.

Godzilla2000
04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I usually just throw my pinkies in the freezer for an hour and just thaw them on the heatpad. I feel funny and cruel killing them any other way.

mandi72
04-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I think if I had to kill the mouse I would put it into a bag and leave it in the freezer.

pcar
04-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I think if I had to kill the mouse I would put it into a bag and leave it in the freezer.

The above is A-ok to do only if the mouse doesn't have fur. With the addition of fur, the mouse can stay alive for hours in the freezing temperatures of your freezer and suffer a lot more that you will with having to bop it over the head.

if anyone that owns snakes as either pets or for breeding dislikes killing mice before feeding there are 2 things that you can do. 1) Get out of the hobby. 2) Buy prekilled frozen mice from a bulk supplier.