PDA

View Full Version : RI treatment and breeding?

RI treatment and breeding?

Standard
03-15-2005, 10:32 PM
So I purchased one of my females while she was in brumation this year. It appeared to me at the time that her lower jaw was somewhat misaligned and a little bit ajar. since I had seen this previously, I wasn't too worried. In the back of my mind I wondered if it was an RI, but there was no bubbling, gurgling, dor discharge, so I had no reason to not take it for a little misalignment.

Anyhow, post brumation it became aparent that it was an RI, with some heavy breathing a noise, but no discharge or lethargy. She's been eating anything in sight, so I tried to wait it out with higher temps and lower humidity. I decided to take her to the vet today, and we started baytril injections. The doc said that she might refuse food, and while her weight is quite good for being a month out of brumation (375g and do to shed within a few days) I won't be breeding her if she doesn't eat well for an extended period.

How common is it for a corn to refuse meals while on baytril? Is it pretty much a sure thing that she'll refuse meals while on the drug?And despite her good health otherwise, should I just keep her from breeding this year all together to baby her immune system?

Thanks!