PDA

View Full Version : mouth rot???

mouth rot???

sXe_corn_sXe
03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
hi. i just got an reverse okeetee yesterday. i looked at it pretty good before i bought it and everything seems fine exept, there are two little black(or very dark red) dot right under where its tounge comes out on its bottom jaw. i dont know what they could be, i though maybe they are just natural things, but idk so i though i would ask. i cant take a picture, i tried and i cant get that close with my camera and they might not even show up anyway.

it is about 6 months old. can anyone help me figre out what it is?

sXe_corn_sXe
03-19-2005, 07:38 PM
anyone??????? :shrugs:

CAV
03-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Is it under the lip or on the lip? Have you tried to see if it can be wiped away?

Packerfan4
03-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Mouth rot is a really touchy issue...there is a fine line between Mouth-rot and a variety of mouth infections...if it doesnt wipe away or just plain go away within the next week or 2 i would recomend taking him to a reptile vet

sXe_corn_sXe
03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
its like on the lip.and i havnt really tried to wipe it off.
any idia of what it could be?

Missy
03-20-2005, 05:55 AM
im sorry but without seeing photos its really hard to say if its mouth rot or not, i dont think i would like to take a random guess.
i suggest you try to see if its rubs off or not, like cav said, but if your really unable to do this, then maybe it'll be wise to take him/her to a vet. better safe then sorry.

could you give us some more details,like, does he seem bothered in any way? does he rub his face up against anything? does he keep opening his mouth for some reason? has the dark spot got any bigger at all or has it stayed the same?
sorry for all the questions but im just trying to figure it out.

anybody else have any opinions or advice on this?

ok now this is gonna sound daft but i have to ask it, are you sure it just isnt part of his colour/ markings?
my female has some black markings along the edge of her mouth, thats why i ask.
:)

CAV
03-20-2005, 11:53 AM
It could be scale pigment, mites, mouth fungus, bark, substrate, old skin that has picked up dirt, or any of another dozen other things.

sXe_corn_sXe
03-20-2005, 02:50 PM
im hoping its just dscoloration, but it doesnt seem botherd at all. it seems heathy, its not weezing, its active, flicking tounge normaly, doesnt rub nose on anything. the black thing doesnt look like anything exept possibly a tiny scab, but its black(or it could be red and i cant tell). thats why i cant figure it out. it is exactly in the middle rught under its tounge. its almost inside its mouth. there is an even smaller black mark next to it thats you almost cant even see. it doesnt look like mites or ticks or anything. it hasnt gotten bigger. i cant figure out how to try to wipe it off, i tried and it just keeps moving away, and when i try i cant even touch it hard enough to be able to wipe it off. im so confused on what it could be. should i just wait a few more days and se if it comes off? i was thinking that it might have rubbed its mouth on somthing at the pet store and rubbed it raw and its just healing or somthing.

sorry this is so long. i tried to take pictures again and my camera just sucks, sorry.

Joejr14
03-20-2005, 03:33 PM
You're confusing me.

Is this red/black dot in question INSIDE the snakes mouth, or outside?

sXe_corn_sXe
03-20-2005, 03:51 PM
its outside the mouth, but its close to the inside.

Missy
03-20-2005, 04:36 PM
hmmmm, again i would not be able to say, it is possible that the snake could have damaged its mouth, maybe by rubbing against something and it could be a scab, does it feel like a scab?
if it was to rub off you shouldnt need to put a lot of pressure on it, as its in a kinda sensitive area on the snake i personally wouldnt be putting a lot of pressure on it anyway.
i gather he is eating healthily and pooping, shedding okay?

now i couldnt tell you if you should wait a couple of days to take him to a vet, or to take him straight away. as i have not seen photos i cannot make that decision for you, im afraid, only you can do that.
if your that confused as to what it is, then i say get to a vet, just in case, or if your comfortable that your snake is eating, pooping, shedding, drinking perfectly, being active and tongue flicking perfectly too, then wait a couple of days to see what happens, i believe there is no such thing as being irrational when it comes to my pets, their well being and health comes first, and if your in any doubt, a vet is in order.
hope this helps
good luck and let us know what it turns out to be when you do find out.
:D

Standard
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
If you're up to it, try proping the snakes mouth open with a toothpick or pen cartridge. if there is a lot of mucus or discoloration inside the mouth, I'd get the snake to a vet. If the mouth is clear, and a healthy color, and the snake eats and acts normally, all you have is a mark (spec by the sound of it, if you cant take a pic) then I'd asume that it is just that.

sXe_corn_sXe
03-27-2005, 12:49 AM
good news. the dots are gone. i think it just had a tiny scab on it.