PDA

View Full Version : Size of Pinkie

Size of Pinkie

Sabine66
03-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Hello everyone: I am new here. We got an Amel Corn Snake (11 mo) two weeks ago at a Reptile Expo. She is wonderful and very calm. We totally fell in love with her. (My daughter, 9, wanted her). If I would have know, how great snakes are, we would have had one a long time ago!
My breeder said, he is feeding fuzzies (How do they look like??) and I think I gotten Pinkies (from the table selling mice). I had shown the snake and they had given me the frozen mice. They just seem big to me. I measured, and they are about 1 1/2 inch. long! Isn't that a big pinkie? SHe had two feeding so far and it went well. The mouse is bigger than the biggest part of her body, it seems right. But I read that at that age she should eat at least 2 pinkies or a fuzzy. Now I am not sure what I really have here (Pink or fuzzy). It just seems like to be a big, big pinkie. What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

CAV
03-20-2005, 01:58 PM
There isn't much of a size difference between large pinkies and small fuzzies. Rule of thumb: Fuzzies have fuzz. :)

Sabine66
03-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your help! I have a Pinkie then! (Naked). Would onepinkie be enough for should I try offering two of these big pinkies at the next feeding?

CAV
03-20-2005, 02:10 PM
If there isn't much of a lump try two. The sooner you get your snake to eat larger prey items, the sooner they will get started growing and developing into a truly beautiful animal.

Sabine66
03-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Gary,
thanks again. No, the lump is not really big. I will try two on Wednesday!
Sabine!

Joejr14
03-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Eh, just wanted to jump in here......

An 11 month corn shouldn't still be on pinkies. You should try to get some fuzzies. You'd probably be surprised how big a meal a snake can handle without having a problem.

I've got a pair of 2004's that are around 19" that are both on small fuzzies.

brownie55
03-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I thinkthe extra calcium alone from going to fuzzies would be a real benefit to the snake. I am due for a step up in prey size too, as are my snakes, lol.

Sabine66
03-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I think I will get some fuzzies then. I don't know, why I was sold pinkies. He saw the snake and should have sold me the 'right mouse'. Thanks for all the help! I will let you know, who everything went (Wednesday).

Joejr14
03-20-2005, 03:25 PM
If you had some pictures of the snake we could tell you the right size to buy.

Sabine66
03-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Our corn is also about 19 inches long. She is 1/2 inch 'thick'. (Biggest part). I went to the pet store, they did not have fuzzies... I will use two pinkies this week and will order some fuzzies for the next feeding.
I don't really know, how to post a photo...
Thanks for all the help!

Sabine66
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all your help. I had ordered fuzzies the other day and yesterday was feeding day. It was true, the fuzzies are not that much bigger than my giant Pinkies. She did fine!

peep_827
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Sabine, you make me so glad I checked into what size feeders I should get BEFORE going to the expo. I don't want to have to rely on someone selling mice to tell me. LOL It sounds like your snake is only a little bigger than Monty (he's 16 1/2 inches long) and he's looking to be almost ready for fuzzies. I have this huge mutant pinky in my freezer tho . . . LOL

I'm glad everything went fine with the fuzzy tho!