PDA

View Full Version : Corny Corn Corn won't eatey eat eat.

Corny Corn Corn won't eatey eat eat.

SonOfDon
03-22-2005, 10:19 AM
I bought my daughter a corn a week and a half ago. The pet store girl told us to feed it a pinky a week later and just throw it in the cage. SInce the snake isn't eating it I have to believe it can't be that simple. Any advice here?

Also what are the absolute musts that the snake needs? We have the Terrarium, heating pad, substrate, water dish, a hunk of driftwood and of course his shelter. He's pretty active although I really have nothing to compare that to but he seems to enjoy being handled.

Thanks,

S.O.D.

dana100mph1
03-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I haven't had corns for long, but I was always told that once you brought the snake home leave him in his viv for at least 5 to 8 days before handling. It gives him time to get used to his new surroundings. Always try to feed in a separate container. If your snake is still little then put him in the box from the pet store and leave him alone for a while. I have a 10 gal tank that I feed mine in. Then of course after he eats leave him alone again for 2 days to digest his food. When I got my first 2 corns the male did'nt eat for 3 weeks after, now he eats every 4 to 5 days. Good luck. Hope everything works out.

Jynx
03-22-2005, 10:32 AM
seems like you have all of your husbandry needs taken care of. Since you got him not too long ago, he may just be stressed out. I would leave him completely alone for a few days in the area of your house with the least traffic...no one passing by the viv, taking him out, or anything like that. Young corns gets stressed very easy. When you go to feed him, before you turn all of the lights out, put him in a small tupperware with a lid with nothing but the pinkie in it and put that inside his viv. Sometimes when they are stressed, we need to focus their attention for them. Leave him in there overnight and don't bother him at all (I know its hard! :)). This way he'll have nothing to concentrate on but the pinkie and hopefully he'll take it. Let us know how it goes.

Spirit
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Overly active isn't always a good thing. How big is the tank? How many hides do you have (are they big hides, or small enough for the snake to "cram" into them)? Also, what are the temps on the warm or cool side?

Generally a young snake will hide if it's afraid, but it's possible that it might be stressed and looking for a way out. If feeding him in a seperate container doesn't work, my advice would be to throw in some extra hides and some paper towel rolls (they seem to love those) to make it feel a bit more safe). Wait another few days (do not disturb the snake), then try feeding again.

Good luck. :)

moreptiles
03-22-2005, 01:41 PM
There could be a number of different reasons why a new corn will not eat the first time you try feeding it. The most common one is that it is getting ready to shed. The second most common is environment like it is too cold or stressed. And the third is that there is something it doesn't like about the food (smell, live vs f/t, etc.) If the problem was shedding, then it will probably shed in the next 1-3 days. If that's not it, then address the environmental issues and make sure everything in your viv. is right. If all that fails to make a difference, then you need to address the food, and try some feeding alternatives (there are many suggestions in other posts in this area). Good luck

Mark

bigpops22
03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
That sort of pisses me off that the clerk at the pet store said to jsut throw the pinky inside the tank. First of all you should get a small container for the corn to eat in, put the corn in the container then feed it the pinky. If the corn will not take the pinky right away try leaving it alone with its meal in the dark for a bit, sometimes iv had to wait even an hour(remember to leave air holes in the top of the container on the lid). If this fails to work then try "braining" the pinky, this will inhance the smell of the pinky making the corn notice it more. This should work providing the corn is ready to eat. I hope this helps. Keep us posted!

-Adam

SonOfDon
03-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks people, your interest is sincere and overwhelming.

Is it possible the heating pad doesn't warm up the cage enough? Do I need a UV light or something? How long should I let the Pinky hang out before flushing him down?

I have questions
you have answers

cowboyman13
03-22-2005, 04:06 PM
You should get some kind of temp gauge so you know what the temp is on the warm and cool side of the tank. shoot for eighty on the warm and 75 on the cool. Flukers makes a combo gauge set you can buy for a good price that can monitor both temps and humidity. Good luck with the eating.

jaja
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Myabe if you wouldnt put such stupid titles on your posts more ppl would reply.

mourne
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
:uhoh: whats wrong with the title jaja? If i could help i wouldnt mind what the title was :shrugs:

thelyonsking
03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Myabe if you wouldnt put such stupid titles on your posts more ppl would reply.

And we should respect your opinion because??????

:shrugs:

SonOfDon
03-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, thought I got alot of replies and quality ones at that Jaja, save yours of course, besides I thought my Title was catchy.

mbdorfer
03-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, thought I got alot of replies and quality ones at that Jaja, save yours of course, besides I thought my Title was catchy.
Hey S.O.D. welcome to the forums. There was nothing wrong with the title of your post. You got some good info, don't worry about the responses like Jaja's
Check out "it's" other 7 posts and you'll see what I mean. Good luck with your first snake. :cheers:

Rosebear
03-23-2005, 01:46 AM
I agree...your title caught my interest.
And you've received sound advice. I've only had my corn...oh gosh!! 3 mos!! The folks here have been most generous and supportive. I HIGHLY recommend the search feature. I've found almost all the info I needed with that. Of course, I've needed a little commiseration with things like...the cat having "take out" with my "new feeder" mice...RESOLVED. New housing resolved that in a big hurry. And these great folks have helped my determine what size feeder I'm attempting to feed, and whether it's appropriate or not.

In short...most of the folks here are absolutely the BEST! You're getting a clue...follow your instincts and have a great time with your new snake!

Meeghann
03-23-2005, 04:46 AM
I fed my newest snake a day after it arrived. I was going to leave her alone for a bit (cause I tend to be a little anal about new arrivals) but then when I was handling her she tried to swallow my pinky finger. It wasnt a bite or anything ... I found it odd. So I gave her a pink and she ate it and I haven't had any problems. IMO it is good to wait but I think that sometimes the whole handling/wait 3days thing is blown up a little bit. It is always good to be on the safe side but once you get to know the personality/preferences of your snake you can adjust a little bit. Good luck!

SonOfDon
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Well....pinky is toes up now and I'm out of town until Sunday.

What do you think I should have my daughter do while I'm away?

Do I take pinky out or leave him?

The temp of the cage is 81 by the way.

Thanks,

S.O.D.

Joejr14
03-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Well....pinky is toes up now and I'm out of town until Sunday.

The temp of the cage is 81 by the way.

Thanks,

S.O.D.

As far as temp goes, it's best to get a digital therm from like Walmart or something. I got mine for less than $8.

Dont leave a dead pinkie in the cage for more than one night. If you wont be back till Sunday, toss it.

I'm assuming you fed live? Try again when you get back and feed the snake in a smaller container. I use deli cups inside my hatchlings sterilites and they manage just fine. I toss a pinkie into a deli cup and then pick my snakes up and let them see/smell their food in their deli cup---and that usually takes care of it. You can put your snake in a smaller tupperware with a pinkie and leave it alone for a while---that will usually do it.

Dont worry about braining yet. While you're gone throw a towel or something over the viv so he can have his adjustment period and settle down.

No reason to worry yet.

Rosebear
03-24-2005, 02:46 AM

Our viv is a 10 g glass tank with T-Rex expandable substrate and a mesh lid. I put my f /t (that's frozen/thawed) pinkies into a medium sized Gladware container, and put that inside the viv. I take Legoless out before I add the pinkies in their container to the viv. Lastly, I add Legoless to the container inside the viv. Usually, as soon as he scents a pinkie he's on it and I sneak away very quietly. I latch the lid as quietly as I can, then don't worry about the other container until he's finished eating and has hidden himself away. If he choses not to eat an item, it's still within an hour of thawing, so I pop it back into the freezer and don't worry about it.

We may not have all our stuff together yet, but we have a lot of it together!

peep_827
03-24-2005, 08:51 AM
I have to admit that I'm kinda careless about feeding Monty, OK, not REALLY, but I am lucky . . . he is such a good eater that I don't have to worry. I'll get his pinky set up in a gladware container - as his deli cup already seemed too small! The last time he ate in it he literally went 1/2 way into it and ate the pinky with his tail firmly wrapped around my finger! It was a neat experience but at the same time I kinda felt like I was being held hostage. LOL So I'm using a bigger tub that he can fit all the way in with no problem. So I will actually set it on my computer desk and he'll eat while I work, the kids watch, etc. Nothing phases that little guy, he just eats his pinky. Usually as soon as he's got it down he's trying to come out of the tub, so I just set it into his viv and he usually goes right out and into his warm hide.

That said, I think that giving a relucant eater some privacy is a great plan. I'm taking notes myself as I'm planning to get 3 more next week . . . I realized that they might not be as easy-going as Monty. Tho I have to credit all the great advice I've got on this board also, I am so glad I did research before I got him!

mansonman247666
03-24-2005, 07:58 PM
your snake wont eat make sure its not stressed many snakes will not eat if it is stressed you should put a thermometer in yopur cage 24/7 make sure it stays inbetween 65 to 75 degrees dont make it hotter or it will dehydrate your snake at night it should be closer to 60 if your snakes skin is not tight and it looks wrinkled then it is dehydrated soak it in water for awhile about half the snakes width if this is not the problem make sure pinkies are completely thawed and if it doersnmt take it right away try teasing him with it if he likes being handeled try hand feeding your snake or put ity in a dark area and it might eat it that way if that wont work try force feeding it as a VERY ABSOLOUT LAST RESOrt i dont recommend this but hold the snake behind the head and use flat piece of meta open mouth and insert the pinkie very slowly push the pinkie down if this does not work leave it alone for awhile likw 2- 3 days stay away from tank and let it relax then try feeding it

SonOfDon
04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Just so anyone who cares knows.....

Corny Corn Corn, atey ate ate!!

What I did was I put him in his cage and left him alone for five days. No handling at all.

Then I went to the Pet Store and got him a fresh little pinky which I picked myself. A really nice red one. I put Julio in a smallish container and he was on the mouse before I could close the lid.

It's been clear sailing ever since.

Thanks for all the help people.

isobel
04-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Thats great SonofDon, it should all be plain sailing now.
i couldn't give you any advice before because i'm usually the one asking questions ha.
there are some really clever people out there, i've had some really good advice.

i hope your snake keeps eat eat eating (that was for JaJa's benefit) you say what ever you like on your posts, we are all passionate about our corn snakes!

MegF.
04-22-2005, 10:30 PM
What great news!! I'm sure things will be smooth sailing now!