PDA

View Full Version : baby corn snake won't eat

baby corn snake won't eat

roger31
03-30-2005, 03:47 AM
i was given a baby corn snake its just under 2 feet long and a boot lace i got it aweek ago and tried to feed it yesterday but it refused any help would be a great help or any ideas please. Thanks

Vicki M
03-30-2005, 06:02 AM
Do you know how old the snake is? Also what did you feed it (live/frozen and what size?) and where did you feed it? In the viv or in a feeder tank?

If you can also give us some idea of its set up aswell. Size, heat source, hides etc.

MegF.
03-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Vicki makes some good suggestions as far as questions, but in the meantime here are some thoughts that you can use. If you are feeding in a seperate enclosure, your little one might be too nervous to eat. In that case, I would feed in the viv on paper towel. Take out any substrate you might have, and place in paper towel. You can put the food source (live, or frozen/thawed) just outside the area where it's hiding and then let it get it from there. Usually I feed in the evening, so when they eat, I just shut off the lights, and they can safely digest in the dark. If you can only feed during the daylight hours, you can cover the viv temporarily. After a few months of feeding in the viv, and handling your snake, I bet it will calm enough to eat in a seperate container again. If I can get 2 feedings in the container, I put aspen back in the viv and problem is solved. If you are feeding in the viv, and it won't eat, you can try braining or making cuts (preferably on f/t specimen, not live) and see if the stronger scent helps. Lizard maker scent can sometimes coax a hatchling to eat.

FlaStangBabe
03-30-2005, 12:46 PM
My brand new snake (two weeks i think ive had him) he is a hatchling and the F/T pinky was on a paper towel and "ELMO" (yes, Elmo) wouldn't eat for a half hour, he would pass by the pinky and ignore it ...as soon as i turned off the lighs he ate it... because i looked in (using the light from the TV) and there was no more "lunch"...maybe your lil guy likes it dark... :shrugs:

but then again im real new at this