PDA

View Full Version : ways of de-freezing mice ,need help

ways of de-freezing mice ,need help

Abuyoussef
08-05-2002, 03:50 PM
hey guys how do i de-freeze the mice.......i usually dip it in hot water and wait a bit......but the mouse will not look like a mouse..so what do u guys suggest........do u have any easy ways to do this.............

kenalotia
08-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Put the mouse in a sealed plastic bag (like a Ziploc), and put the whole bag in warm-hot water. How long you leave it in there depends on how big the mouse is. I leave pinkies in there for about 10 minutes. Adult mice and weanling rats stay in for half an hour.

Khaman
08-05-2002, 11:34 PM
I treat them like alka-selser Plop plop fizz fizz into about 98 degree tap water and wait repeat until mouse is warm.

Alicia
08-06-2002, 08:23 AM
I also use the ziplock bag and hot/warm water method. It works.
I wouldn't worry so much about what the mouse looks like, the snake won't care:D

little twiglet
08-06-2002, 08:45 AM
I have a tupperware pot with a lid that i put the pinki in before i go to work and leave out on the side and by 5:30 when i get home the meal i defrosted and ready to feed i think that is the best way of doing it

little twiglet
08-06-2002, 08:48 AM
NEVA EVA MICROWAVE A PINKI I LEARNT THE HARD WAY IT EXPLODED BIG TIME WHAT A MESS!!!

Tenacious_Ash
08-06-2002, 10:38 AM
i thought the way to do it, is to leave it at room temperature for around 2 hours, then feed it to your snake? :confused:

Jimmy C.
08-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Hey Little Twiglet,
I am sorry to hear about the messy microwave but I got a great laugh from that.Sorry.:)
I understand that a micro does not defrost evenly so we should never use the microwave, and now we know that they might explode.
I use the plastic bag thing and warm water. I think hot water would start to cook a pinky and thats maybe why Abuyouseff's looked different.
Thanks for sharing guys,
Jimmy C.

pdrau
08-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Not for the faint at heart. A bit of adult humor. Enjoy! http://www.joecartoon.com/pages/microgerbil/

Peter

I use the ziplock bag/hot water method as well.

bmm
08-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Pinkies are very easy to defrost. I place pinkies in lukewarm water, then take them out and feel them a minute later....if frozen still the cold comes through..if they feel really "squishy" and thawed, I throw them in a bit warmer water and carry the thawing pitcher to each cage and fed the warm pinks.

With adults, since it takes longer, I put them in the bag with lukewarm water, then again change water to a warmer temp for a bit longer to ensure they are fully defrosted.

bmm

Tenacious_Ash
08-06-2002, 05:10 PM
is it better to feed them slightly warm pinkies? so it seems more alive to them? than just giving them thawed pinkies?

bmm
08-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Slightly warm to us is hotter to them.....so thawed in lukewarm should be fine, I just use warmer water while they are sitting waiting to be fed off. Lukewarm water is fine, like room temp water, which is already 70-80 degrees.

Water that feels hardly warm to us can be much to hot for a snake so you have to be kinda be careful, but if you use regular lukewarm/room temp water you won't have problems. If you are worried about it being totally thawed in lukewarm water, then just thaw it for a bit longer, it won't hurt.

bmm