PDA

View Full Version : lost

lost

csmith1626
04-06-2002, 03:48 PM
i have a corn and it got out. what should i do.

B-J@y
04-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I Don't Know!! can't help you here..... just wishing you al the best!!!:(

kenalotia
04-06-2002, 07:34 PM
There are things you can do to find your snake. Corns like to move around the edges of rooms. You can try putting plastic bags (the kind you get at the grocery) around the walls and keeping the house really quiet. You can hear when something moves through the bags; it makes a crinkling sound. Try this when you know your snake is most active. You can also buy or make traps (not the killing kind; the escaped-snake kind). Get a tube of some sort - whatever is appropriate to the size of your snake - and lay it along the wall. You can use a cut-down funnel to make the entrance narrower and more appealing to your snake, if he/she is still quite small. The other end needs to be blocked off. In effect, you are making an ideal hide for your snake. You might want to make a few of these to put around the house. If you think your snake might be hungry, try putting a thawed mouse or pinky in there, too.

I hope this works for you. Sometimes you don't find an escaped snake despite all your best efforts, and then it shows up again weeks later, just crawling across the floor, so don't give up even if you don't find him/her right away.

Good luck!

K

Missymonkey
04-06-2002, 07:37 PM
you could spread some flour or talcum powder on the floor over night so that when the corn moves from room to room you can see where he's gone to by the tracks he's left...(it's messy but it might help)

Iris
04-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Yeah...what kenalotia said!
And sometimes (if you can) get up in the middle of the night when its dark and quiet and suddenly switch on the light in whatever room(s) you think the corn could be hiding. Usually they come out at night and will freeze when you turn on the light. Once when I lost mine, it turned out he was in my bedroom the whole time. One night I got thirsty, went downstairs, had a drink, came back up and turned on the light and there he was. Pretty weird but I'm glad he's safe in his tank now. And there was this other time when he got lost in the pipes but he still came out ok. Just don't lose hope. They can go for a long time without food. Maybe you could set out pans of water around the house so he can find water to drink. SOme people recommend putting tape along the walls or floor to "catch" the snake. I DON'T recommend you do this because the snake will get really stressed out and when you take off the tape you rip off a lot of scales with it. So...yeah set out mice around the house but make sure you replace them before they rot or anything. Not a pleasant smell at ALL..

kenalotia
04-06-2002, 10:20 PM
There was a similar post on Rich's other message board. Someone replied with more detailed instructions on how to make a trap. Here's the url for that: http://www.serpenco.com/bbs/messages/1857.html

K

csmith1626
04-06-2002, 11:54 PM
thanks alot

LizS
04-07-2002, 07:33 PM
1- You may lay down towels, bunched-up on the floor along the walls and check them each morning.

2- Another trap is to take a cardboard box, put in it a dead mouse of appropriate size for the snake, cut 2 or 3 round holes near the bottom of the box of size big enough for the hungry snake to enter but too small for the fed snake to leave. Place the box on the floor against a wall where you think the snake will find it, close the lid and put a weight on it. Check the box every morning, and replace the mouse if there's no snake.

Hope you find your snake soon!

nicky
04-07-2002, 08:33 PM
hello,
well first off do you have any pets like dogs or cats? If you do I would strongly suggest you put them somewhere like out back or somehing or yuor poor little snake might get eaten. Allways rember corns like all snakes go for warm places at night so at night around whenever your snake is most active( for mine it;''s about 11-12 pm check your stove or other electricl applainces also mybe set traps put whatever you feed it in a jar or something then the next night do the same and check that spot That night. Try using sents like chicen broth or lizard or whatever to lure him i into spots at night and try looking for him/her. Look for signs like poop. If you have to tear the whole house apart. Oh mybe take it's hide box out of it's cage or something else firmilar where youve been getting a lot of signs poop( If you haven't have any signs then but it by a warm place then check at night or day for him/her there best of luck. Member no matter what don't give up! Best of luck.

Matt L
04-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Nicky's last comment is the best! never give up! I've been keeping snakes for over 15 years. I've been very fortunate to only permanently loose 1. (I know were it ended up). The longest missing snake was a young Ball Python.It actually showed up 8 months later after we moved out of our appartment.(The landlord called to inform me she found it after the appartment was vacant for a month).Wish you the best of Luck!