PDA

View Full Version : cut off their tails with a carving knife?

cut off their tails with a carving knife?

Missymonkey
08-06-2002, 12:21 PM
I've heard of people cutting the tails off their rats and adult mice before feeding them to their snakes, they do this to prevent them from rotting inside the snakes.... is this worthwhile? or true...

also, do you guys use tongs or tweezers to feed your snakes with?

thanks,
Missy

SilverTongue
08-06-2002, 12:33 PM
ok I have never heard of that outside of the 3 blind mice rhyme.

3 blind mice
3 blind mice
see how they run
see how they run
they all chased after the farmers wife
who cut off their tails with a carving knife
did you ever see such a sight in your life as..
3 blind mice
3 blind mice

Missymonkey
08-06-2002, 12:34 PM
you read my mind :)

Jimmy C.
08-06-2002, 01:41 PM
LOL Great going Silvertongue you brought back some fond memories for me.
Missymonkey I have never heard of that.
Jimmy C.

jim
08-06-2002, 02:40 PM
but... i have cut their tails and heads off to feed to undersized hatchlings.
i have never used tongs to feed. i always wash water bowls and food dishes before i feed and just return them to the cage with water and food in them. i do get alot of snakes crawling up my hand to the food dish once they get used to me bringing it in that way. sometimes they've got the mouse in their mouth before the dish is even set down. have a good one... :) ---jim

Vedica
08-06-2002, 06:40 PM
What??????????????????

Neil
08-06-2002, 06:43 PM
I use tongs to feed my snakes because they're quite aggressive when it comes to food and I don't want to lose a hand lol.
Neil

kenalotia
08-06-2002, 06:46 PM
I use tongs to feed. Hehe, you'd need a giant pair of tweezers to hold weanling rats... Never heard of cutting off the tails before.

little twiglet
08-07-2002, 08:28 AM
i use tweezers so that twig doesn't relate my hand with food and also the pinki doesn't loose any sent

BeniciaBrian
08-07-2002, 12:41 PM
I have used chop sticks before too.

BloodyCats
08-07-2002, 10:24 PM
I own a long pair of hemostats-- bought from eHerp, but can be found all over where you can get herp supplies-- and use them to feed my Ball Python. When I put my corns in their feeding tubs and they don't see the mouse within a minute or so, I use the hemostats to position the mouse where they will see it. It's safer than reaching back in to wiggle the mice, and is usually all the enticement the corns need to stop trying to escape the tub and eat.

Never heard the tail thing.