PDA

View Full Version : HELP !SNAKE WON"T EAT! HELP

HELP !SNAKE WON"T EAT! HELP

srw3897
08-06-2002, 03:57 PM
PLZ HELP

I got my new albino hatchling friday
i tried to feed her yesterday but she didnt eat
i tried tease feeding, putting in paper bag with mouse, leaving mouse in cage overnight, dipping mouse in chicken broth(pet store's advice)

nothing worked

plz help

how to make her eat?

How long can she live without food?

my other yearling eats normally

Neil
08-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Don't worry if your corn's only refused one meal, many hatchlings do this. The reason is probably that the snake is very nervous after 'moving house' and just wants to be left alone for a few days to settle in. If I were you I'd try again in three or four days and if it still doesn't eat I'd leave it in a smaller enclosure such as an ice-cream tub (with air holes, of course) over night with a warm brained pinky. If this still doesn't work, leave the snake for about a week and try scenting the pinky with Lizard Maker from T-Rex which is available from many reptile suppliers.
The most important thing is not to worry; healthy hatchlings can go several week without eating and still be perfectly fine. You only have to resort to force feeding in EXTREME circumstances.
Neil

bmm
08-06-2002, 04:48 PM
I agree with Neil....

You just got it on Friday and tried to fed it on Monday? That's only three days after putting this tiny thing into a new home! No wonder it hasn't eaten! :)

Most snakes are fine eaters and don't get disturbed by moving etc. But lots of hatchling are disturbed by this and its recomended that you give a new snake at least a *week* before trying to fed it.

I would leave this hatchling alone, except for checking on temps and giving fresh water every couple days, for an *entire week* starting today. Next Tuesday, try again. It needs time to be alone and rest.

bmm

Vedica
08-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Take a deep breath, chill out. Listen to all the things those nice people said. Your snake will probably resume feeding in a few days. While stressful, the only thing to do is be patient. It sounds like you have tried all of the available feeding methods--perhaps the snake is going into a shed, stressed out with the move, or not hungry. Good luck--keep us posted.
Vedica
:D