PDA

View Full Version : Egg-like thing in bin?

Egg-like thing in bin?

SevierSerpents
04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I was changing out one of my striped creamsicle bins and after pulling her out, I found a white...egg-like thing inside the bin. It was about an inch and a half to two inches long and was completely solid and rubbery looking, like a narrow hard boiled egg. She had eaten an adult mouse last week, and this did NOT look like a regurge. It stuck to the bin as I was trying to shake it out. She has never been introduced to any males, so it definately was not a clutch. Any idea as to what it might have been?

I would have tried to search for the answer, but god knows how many results I would have pulled up for "egg".

E. g. guttata
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Sounds to me like she laid an infertile egg, though I'm not sure why if she hasn't been introduced to any males........

pcar
04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a slug. Sometimes females will lay slugs whether they have been introduced to a male or not. Most of the time the female just reabsorbs the egg follical, but it sounds like you have a case where one of them didn't get reabsorbed. Can you send a pic of it? That way we can say for certain.

SevierSerpents
04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Well, I would...but I flushed it. :shrugs:
If she is laying infertile eggs, maybe it might be time for a male. She's about 250 grams or more and she's a mid 2003.

The progeny predictor that I use doesn't have anything for creamsicles, so I haven't really thought of what to breed her with. Right now the only real male potential I have is a blizzard. Unless someone wants to use her to breed something good. ; )

JTGoff69
04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
You would use amel for a creamsicle in the predictor. If you bred her to a blizzard you would get all amels het for charcoal, but remember that creamsicles are corn x emoryi so they would be hybrids. If you were to sell them just make sure the buyers are aware of that. :)

MegF.
04-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I think most recommend a weight of 300 grams or 3/4 lb. before breeding, but I've also heard of one breeder who lost his female because she wasn't bred and didn't reabsorb the eggs she did produce.

SevierSerpents
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM
5 more in the bin today. I think she's trying to tell me that she's ready.

:shrugs:

Missie
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
will all females lay slugs during this season if they arent with a man? or only some do?

pcar
04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Not all females lay eggs. Most reabsorb them before they are hard enough to lay. Some will lay slugs...yellowish wrinkly things...And, with slugs, there is still a chance of egg binding. Sounds like that happened to Meg F.'s friend.

Missie
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
what is egg binding?

pcar
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Egg Binding is when an egg gets stuck in the Ovuducks of the snake and won't come out. This can cause death to the snake, but it is possible to save the snake and the eggs.

This mostly happens in snakes that are under weight when breeding. but it can happen with adults.

Missie
04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
omg, this wouldnt happen if the female wasnt being bred though would it?

E. g. guttata
04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
If a female is passing any eggs, there's always a chance for egg-binding.

pcar
04-11-2005, 03:41 PM
omg, this wouldnt happen if the female wasnt being bred though would it?

E.G.G is correct. If your femle isn't bred, but still develops eggs and passes them, it can happen. But, like I said, if you catch the problem early, the snake can be taken to a Vet and the egg binding problem can be taken care of. Most of the time, this is accomplished with surgery and the removal of the Ovarian Duct where the Binding occured.

Snakes have two Ovarian Ducts, and can still produce eggs if one of them is removed. However, if both of the ducts are removed, you now have a very nice pet.

MegF.
04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Sometimes if it's still soft, you can aspirate the fluid out of the inside and they can then pass the deflated egg. Otherwise it's surgery time.

SevierSerpents
04-13-2005, 07:35 PM
So now that she has expunged these "eggs", does that make her infertile for the rest of the season?

SevierSerpents
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
***bump***

E. g. guttata
04-19-2005, 08:58 AM
She is obviously not infertile (as shown by the fact that she laid those slugs) so you know that you have a good female. I would suggest keeping an eye on her, because it's early enough that she can "double clutch" these slugs. If she does do this, I HIGHLY suggest getting her a male to breed with next year. That way you can be sure to get some babies out of her.