PDA

View Full Version : Age of my snake?

Age of my snake?

GinnyO
08-06-2002, 11:18 PM
It's been 7 weeks since I bought my snow corn at a small but pretty nice pet store. (I know ... I wasn't planning on getting my snake from a pet store, really, but I walked in and there she was and they let me hold her ... she is just the nicest snake ever! BUT, they couldn't tell me exactly how old she was. Said probably less than 6 months. They also said to feed one pinkie a week. After listening here at the forum, I wonder if I should be feeding her more. She hasn't shed for me yet. She's a great little eater, she is 19" but not very thick, though she has grown in width. Her thickest part is a little bigger than a pinkie. Another reason I think she may not be all that young is she has always been very calm and super easy to handle. So ...
1. Any guesses at her approximate age?
2. Should I feed her a pinkie every 4 days instead of once a
week? (I'm thinking yes on this one)
3. Should I be concerned that she hasn't shed yet?

Thanks! Ginny

jim
08-07-2002, 12:31 AM
ginny,
at 19 inches she might probably be from last years hatch. i can't see someone getting a corn to that size this quickly without feeding it way too much. at that size i would be feeding her one or two fuzzies once a week. you'll get different suggestions as far as frequency of feeding (once or twice a week) and if you want to feed twice a week that is fine. most young corns will shed about every 4 weeks. is it possible you missed the shed in the substrate or someone removed it from the tank? if not, you should be expecting a shed VERY soon. GOOD LUCK...:)---JIM

bmm
08-07-2002, 12:35 AM
Nice choice with the snow corn. My first too.

O.k. 7 weeks no shed....hmm could be a long time, unless she sheds tomorrow in which case it could be just right. My almost year olds shed about every month and a half, or less.

But I think what the problem is here, is feeding. You are right, I believe your snake should definitly be eating more than one pinkie per meal!

I would suggest moving your snake up to the next size (which can be fuzzies, or fat almost fuzzie pinkies if she is too small for fuzzies) and feed either once per week, or once every five days.

A cornsnake can eat a meal the same size they are in girth at their widest point, or slightly larger. So you can use this to decide if fuzzies are o.k. You would be surprised at what they can swallow, even if it looks a little bigger than their widest point, but not to large for now since she has only eaten pinkies. You want to get her onto something larger than pinkies soon because the larger mice pack a bigger meal. (fuzzies hoppers etc)

Moving to fuzzies, even once per week, should put a little size on her, and will definitly make her shed, soon.

bmm

GinnyO
08-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the advice! I really don't think I missed her shed, I've been watching her very closely. She does seem extra long for how skinny she is, though even on the meager 1 pinkie a week she has gotten thicker. I'm going to feed her another pinkie tonight as it's been 4 days. She acts very healthy and happy all in all. Thanks again :)

bmm
08-07-2002, 04:11 PM
The best thing you can do is get her off pinkies and up to the next size larger as soon as possible. Pinkies aren't a very good meal, and fuzzies/hoppers are so much healthier. :)

bmm
good luck

GinnyO
08-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Well then it's fuzzie shopping after work tomorrow! Always looking for a good excuse to shop. ;)