• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mice

Grab them by the tail and slam them onto a cement surface. It sounds cruel but they die instantly.

Killing

You are getting a hatchling baby corn right?
If so, you'll be feeding pinkies which is an arguement if they should be killed in the methods I'll list below or if its o.k. to just freeze them live for later use.

Adult mice/hoppers/whatever can be killed by
Co2 - not cost effective for one snake
Or by putting a pen or similar shaped object on the back of the neck and pulling the tail hard to kill them, this is a instant death if done properly but it takes practice.
You can also whack them by hitting their heads on something hard, once hard and fast but this can be hard to do correctly without practice, and in the beginning you're mice will be messy, take two hits, etc. But after a couple tries its easy to get the hang of, and you can do it instantly, without blood.

Dry Ice works as well, same idea as Co2.

bmm

Hey Cornsandmore,
Is there a special reason why you will get live mice? Are you going to breed your own pinkies?
How old is the snake that you will be getting? If you are getting a baby you should start with pinkies.
Jimmy C.

You can feed pinkies live b/c they don't have any "weapons" (teeth and claws) to do any damage yet, but later on if you feed bigger live mice, use a method listed above.

i just a got a cornsnake 4 days ago its abt 4 feet ..i have a question do i have to kill the mouse before i give it to him or its not neccassry??

Almost everyone on this forum will agree with me when I say that you should feed your snake f/t mice because live ones can be VERY dangerous.
Neil

Live is not only dangerous because the snake can be bitten but live prey can also carry disease.
Go with F/T. Safer all the way around.

how much harm

but how much harm can a tiny mouse do to a 4ft snake plus wat do i do if i wana kill it how do i do it>??

Oh, plenty...

Believe me
Or if you don't, check out this link. It's the work of your typical small white mouse.

http://www.proexotics.com/graphics/...live_prey_1.jpg

Mice that still have their eyes closed pose no threat. Bigger mice and rats can do some serous damage with their teeth and/or claws.
One good hard bite can leave a bleeding gash or chomp off an eye.

Put the mouse in a bag and slam it hard on a countertop or table.
You can also use CO2 cartridges or dry ice. Look in the Feeding/Health forum for threads pertaining to live mice. You'll find quite a few.

Last edited:
eek, nasty pic!

Please link those only, and say they are graphic - my head is not a garbage pile (well, I dont WANT it to be.)

To the point someone stated "CO2 is not cost effecvtive for one snake" I must disagree. for a one-time $20 cost you can buy a 24oz. tank from a paintball store. They'll fill it for probably 2 or 3 bucks. You can get a couple months out of that canister if you use it wisely, then get it refilled for another couple bucks.

^Curtis

yes

But if you are killing your own mice with Co2 you are buying them live or raising them yourself, neither of which I think is cost effective for one snake.

A more cost effective way would be purchasing frosen feeders online for one snake.

bmm

CURTIS: Sorry, next time I'll use a link. You are right, it is VERY nasty but a good way to shock people into not using live prey.
Neil

WOW

Hey NEIL.

Very graffic but makes an xcellent point,tell me,did the snake die,i would have thought so and what did the damage mouse or rat????????

...............................steve.:(

Well, it's not my pic so I don't know a lot about it but I think a mouse did that!! The snake didn't die because of the attack but had to be put down as soon as possible because it would have eventually died.

Back