PDA

View Full Version : skinny snakes?

skinny snakes?

peep_827
04-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Now that I've had my new snakes a week I've finally got to handle them some, and now I've got some questions . . .

First of all, both my females seem to be a lot skinnier than my males of similar length. Now, they seem healthy, no loose skin and they are active and curious, but are noticeably thinner than the males. Is this normal? I haven't read/heard anything about females being thinner than males.

Secondly, my crimson seems healthy but VERY thin. I'd say she's 3X taller than across. No loose skin and she's not bony, however I was alarmed when I realized how very thin she seems. BTW, she shed last night! YAY!! So now 2 of my new snakes have already shed for me. Anyway, after her shed she has been cruising her box almost frantically and I am worried that she is very hungry. She had a pinky on Wednesday, it was pretty small tho (I'd prefer to err on the side of caution) which she's already fully digested. Would it be advisable to go ahead and give her another? I've never fed 3 days apart, but I've never found a snake to be so skinny/hungry. Or would it be in her best interest to make her wait the extra 2 days? She's not near death or anything by any means, but I feel bad for her. BTW she is a 2004 and probably about 17" long, give or take.

OkateeManiac
04-09-2005, 01:05 PM
MY snake is also skinny i dont think it is something you haft to worry about and 3 days apart is kinda soon but it is called power feeding i have done that with my for about 3 weeks now i wouldnt recommend it since its not good to keep there belly full at all times but sure try to feed her again and see if she takes it if she regurges it just know that is to soon to feed her

TrpnBils
04-09-2005, 03:53 PM
First of all, both my females seem to be a lot skinnier than my males of similar length. Now, they seem healthy, no loose skin and they are active and curious, but are noticeably thinner than the males. Is this normal? I haven't read/heard anything about females being thinner than males.

You probably mentioned this somewhere and I just missed it, but did you get your males and females all at the same time or have you had some of them for awhile? If you got them all at the same time just recently, did they all come from the same breeder/store? I'm just curious because if you got them all at the same time and they came from the same place, I would think that they would have been getting the same care (and they would be fed the same). If so, maybe it does have something to do with the sex, I dunno. I've never read anything about it either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

peep_827
04-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I've had my normal male for a couple months, and he's getting pretty big. The female crimson I got from a guy at the expo, she is probably as long as Monty and maybe 1/3 as big around. The ghosts both came from LLL at the expo and the female is about 1/2 to 2/3 as big around as the male. It's kinda weird that the girls are so skinny, maybe they are watching their figures? :laugh:

Andiheathcote
04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi, Glad someone else seems to notice these things. I am new to keeping corns and my Homer seems to be kinda thin. He had not eaten for 3 weeks just slithered over his food and I was really worried. Then he gobbled a pinkie then seemed hungry after 3 days so I gave him another and the same again he had had 3 pinkies in just over a week! It didnt seem to do him any harm and he now eats 1 fuzzie a week and seems perfectly happy! I think they are like us with chocolate (sometimes you don't touch it, then you eat a whole box!)

princess
04-09-2005, 05:28 PM
One of my girls layed a clutch last night and when I saw her today I must admit I was shocked to see how skinny she was. As long as your snake is eating and pooping and you've screned out parasites, then you just have a skinnier one. My big snow male is a fatso though, so perhaps it could be gender related.