PDA

View Full Version : breeding two different types of snakes?

breeding two different types of snakes?

Tenacious_Ash
08-08-2002, 08:04 AM
i was wondering, you can breed Rat snakes, and corn snakes together, but can you breed corn snakes with anything else? or will this cause mutations or something?

thanks.

Neil
08-08-2002, 08:29 AM
I think you can breed corns with kings as the Jungle carpet phase corn is a mix of the californian king and a corn. I don't think it would be wise to breed with anything else because a. it probably wouldn't work and b. it's playing God. A lot of people disagree with hybrids and feel it's totally wrong.
Neil

Tenacious_Ash
08-08-2002, 08:36 AM
oh ok thanks! :)

Tenacious_Ash
08-08-2002, 08:45 AM
wait, aren't Kings very aggressive? and rat snakes are too i am told. How do the morphs keep the Corn's placcid nature?

Neil
08-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Not all rats and kings are aggressive and I haven't a clue about genes and things so I can't really answer that.
Neil

Iris
08-08-2002, 01:04 PM
I've heard of guttata/emoryi, corn/milk, corn/king, corn/gopher crosses. There have probably been a lot of others too.

Are you planning to cross corn(s) with other snakes?
Just curious. Actually I'm kind of a corn purist and I'm planning to strongly discourage you if you say yes.

LadyChaos
08-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Breeding hybrids is something you should seriously think about before you do tho....there are a lot of purists out there who hate the very idea of it. Selling hybrids can also be a challenge, especially if you end up with less than pleasant looking kids. The albino traits are compatible, but I haven't seen anyone cross something like a ghost corn with an albino cal king.

Creamsicle corns are guttata/emoryi hybrids. Don has crossed grey rats with corns for a "frosted" creamsicle. Jungle corns generally turn out good looking and mellow. Bubblegum ratsnakes are yellow rat/black rat crosses (sometimes a third ssp tossed in as well). I tried 2 of my male corns with my bubblegum rat this year, but no go...her smell was prolly too different for them. I thought about picking up some jungle corns this year, but decided to go for honduran morphs instead.

and as to the agressiveness of kings and ratsnakes...I have a pair of Brooks kings that are mellow as can be, and a miami corn that tries to nail me every time...everyone has their own personality.

Darin Chappell
08-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Please, everybody . . .let's not call guttata guttata x guttata emoryi crosses "hybrids." Don't like them if you want, but let's at least be accurate and call them what they are. They're intergrades.

Personally, I couldn't care less what people breed they're corns to so long as they present the offspring they are selling honestly. But I really would like to see the emoryi identified as nothing more than a locale specific corn. I know this would cause everyone to be scrambling to change their advertising (and some people's minds), but I think it would more accurately reflect the reality of the corns and their cousins on the other side of the Mississippi.

Matt L
08-10-2002, 12:22 AM
Nicole,
Did you mean tangerine and tricolor, when you said honduran morphs?--or something different--I had hybrid on my mind..

LadyChaos
08-10-2002, 04:47 PM
nope...currently have 1 pair of het for snow hondurans and an aberrant het hypo...going to add a vanishing pattern hypo and prolly anery het amel later this year

kris (UK)
08-11-2002, 04:10 PM
. . . . that intergrades can be somewhat more aggressive from the usual placid corn snake ? i was just wondering as i have been on sites were jungle corns and other intergrades have been advertised with a higher difficulty rating with them . ..

KRIS

nova
08-11-2002, 08:35 PM
I believe the upperkeys corns are a hybrid. I have one and it is very aggressive but i am not sure if it is because he is not used to me or if it is because it is wild caught

Hope H
08-11-2002, 09:17 PM
I have a beauitful 4 1/2 Ft. Jungle Corn. I'm not into breeding hybrids, so he is just a pet. I rescued him from a pet store that didn't take good care of their reptiles and he is wonderful. I have 12 corns and he is just as sweet and mellow as the rest of them.

Darin Chappell
08-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Ok, Jungle corns ARE hybrids (they're a cross [usually] between corns and california kingsnakes). Creamsicles are intergrades (cross between two species of Elaphe gutatta). Upperkeys corns are just corn snakes that are found in a specific locale. They happen to be lighter in their appearance, but that is no more variability there than is found in the Pine Island anerythristics (we call them Charcoals now), the Jasper county corns (Okeetees) or Miami phase corns.

As to the aggressiveness factor, I have not seen any difference in intergrades and "pure" corns. In fact, the MOST mellow snake I have EVER seen was a female creamsicle I used to own.

Darin