PDA

View Full Version : food other than mice?

food other than mice?

steprice
04-16-2005, 04:39 PM
just wondering what else you can feed to a corn snake other than mice. i know about chicks,rats and quails just wondering what else corns will eat, not necessarily regularly.

thanks,
Ste

princess
04-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Feeder fish are an option (that I've never tried but might one day) but not goldies because they can cause thiamine defficiency. I've heard about eggs as on option too...but I'm not so sure I'm going to try that. There was a thread here a while ago about feeding chicken parts...do a search and read through it and decide if that's for you.

juliekyle
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Feeder fish? My snake is active, shed 2 weeks ago, looks great, but has not eaten for six weeks. I don't want to do live mice. I have tried different sizes, dipping it in chicken broth. She crawls over it and looks to come out.

Christen
04-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Fish are not a natural diet for corns. I would not feed fish.

Farmgirl
04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
once in a while I feed my really big boy corn a rabbit pinkie.

7legion77
04-16-2012, 05:08 AM
I gave my corn a $16 society finch one time. I figured since "you are what you eat" I didn't want him to be made of nothing but mice, so I decided to throw an avian in there.

He approached it extremely slow. It was interesting seeing how a snake hunts a bird, as opposed to a mouse. It seems like a immediate surprise advantage is a lot more crucial lest the bird fly away.
The first time, the finch spun around and the snake immediately retreated to his hide FAST. But he was not to be deterred...

Eventually he was able to corner the finch, and he actually ate it alive. It was sad to watch because it was a pretty bird and I kind of wanted to keep it as a pet.
I think next time I will see how he handles a parakeet...

RobbiesCornField
04-16-2012, 05:59 AM
I gave my corn a $16 society finch one time. I figured since "you are what you eat" I didn't want him to be made of nothing but mice, so I decided to throw an avian in there.

He approached it extremely slow. It was interesting seeing how a snake hunts a bird, as opposed to a mouse. It seems like a immediate surprise advantage is a lot more crucial lest the bird fly away.
The first time, the finch spun around and the snake immediately retreated to his hide FAST. But he was not to be deterred...

Eventually he was able to corner the finch, and he actually ate it alive. It was sad to watch because it was a pretty bird and I kind of wanted to keep it as a pet.

I'm finding it rather difficult to believe that you posted this for anything other than shock value, much like a lot of your posts in anything involving feeding.

diamondlil
04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Personally I stick to what I can get easily, which is frozen mice and frozen day-old chicks for my adult corns. I'd be wary of giving anything unusual as the last thing I'd want is my corns refusing their regular diet in favour of exotics.

Susan
04-16-2012, 09:43 AM

I agree. First you're trying to bash live mice with a wrench because you can't stand to handle them and now you're feeding live finches and parakeets. You just can't stay away from the feeding threads, can you! Guess Nanci and I will have to don our mod hats and watch you again.

Nanci
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree. First you're trying to bash live mice with a wrench because you can't stand to handle them and now you're feeding live finches and parakeets. You just can't stay away from the feeding threads, can you! Guess Nanci and I will have to don our mod hats and watch you again.

I have about had my fill of posts about blatant animal cruelty. I am not going to tolerate it any longer.

7legion77
04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Well the OP asked about alternative food so I answered the question. I can't help but get a little theatrical sometimes.