PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from a regurge

Coming back from a regurge

princess
04-17-2005, 02:43 PM
You may remember at the beginning of the month I was all upset because my little 7 month old ghost threw up for no apparent reason.

Well I'm pleased to announce that after a 10 day fast, she held down a pinkie (yes I know that's a little OTT, but I thought it's better to err on the side of caution in this case) with no trouble and in 2 days will be up for her 2nd meal.

The question is this. I don't want to waste my pinkies but I don't want a regurge again. She was on weanlings with no trouble for at least 1½ months before this inexplicable lapse. I went for a pink for the first feed but do you think I could move onto a fuzzie for feeding #2? -or should I be extra cautious again?

My gut feeling says to go for the fuzzies but I was wondering if anyone would advise against this...Thanks,
Adèle

Vegas
04-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Happy to hear she is recovering, now... this may be a little offtopic, or even very offtopic... but reading alot of posts here on the forum I can't get away from the fact that most 7-8 month old corns are eating like kittens without a problem (well not really but ok). My corn is about 8 month, september 04 hatchling, and he is like 14 inches long (36cm) and eats 2 pinkys, but I couldn't imagine him eating a large fuzzy or smth like that. I'm ordering some peach fuzzys very soon for him though. And most 7-8 months old seem to be around 20 inches or more. Do I just have a small corn or am I underfeeding it ALOT? the bulge on his tubby is supernaturally big after 2 pinks. He hasn't been on that diet for long now, I've fed him 2 pinks 2 times. Before that he was on 1 pinky every 4th day.
This is a recent picture of him.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Jimmy_Vegas/IMG_1149.jpg

princess
04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Vegas,

My 6-8 month olds range from 45 to 100 grams and are on a size range from really small weanlings(look like a regular mouse but are tiny as a crawler) to regular sized weaned mice) I just picked up a monster-size pair of 10 month olds that are both on adult mice and are 112g for the 0.1 and 168g for 1.0...WOW!!!!

If the 2 pinks are leaving a really big contoured lump for more than 12 hours, let it go a little longer. Can you post a pic just after your snake has finished swallowing next time so we can see??

What does everyone say to my question BTW???? Should I go for another pink or move up to a fuzz?

Vegas
04-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Well no, mostly after 12 hours the lump is gone or very small. I fed him today so I'll grab a picture next time I feed him, thursday or friday. I have 3 small pinks left, do you think he'll be able to eat them all or should I just give him 2 and save the last one for a rainy day? I'll order fuzzys for him tomorrow. Do they accelerate in growth much moving up to doublepinks/fuzzys?

EDIT: btw princess do you have a picture of any of your 7-8-9 month olds for comparsion perhaps?

MegF.
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Feed smaller food items for at least 2 to 3 feedings before moving back up to what you were feeding. You don't want to have aregurge again. You could probably feed every 5 days with the pinkies and then go to 7 when you get back on the fuzzies. Try cutting into the skin on the back (unless they're alive) to help aid in digestion.

peep_827
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Princess, I'm glad your ghost is recovering from her regurge. If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution. Do you have a large pinky, rather than a fuzzy? If so, maybe go with that.

princess
04-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks you guys, I only have tiny pinks and huge fuzzies! The fuzzies are about 3 times the biomass of the pinks, perhaps 4 for the bigger ones. I think I'll go for a pink one more time and then go up to fuzzies. I'm still baffled about what caused the regurgitation. She always eats through sheds and that was the only factor I could think of. Well, I guess it'll remain a mystery. Pink it is!

MegF.
04-18-2005, 10:17 AM
You might just give the one pinky next feeding, and then feed the two remaining ones the feeding after that. Then go to the fuzzies. Sometimes you never know what caused a regurge. I've had one regurge on me, one time only, for no apparent reason. It hasn't happened again (knock on wood), and hopefully never will. It's been almost a year since it happened.

princess
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Well, I just fed her a pink again and it's just ridiculous how quickly one of those dissapears into her! So that's 1 pink twice since the chuck-up and assuming this one stays down(sure it will) for 5 days her next meal will be a fuzzie. It's such a releif to get her back on track!

How's this for a stupidly small meal!