PDA

View Full Version : Strong ammonia odor~ unexpected answer

Strong ammonia odor~ unexpected answer

JM :o)
04-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Many of you may recall I was changing my litter twice a week due to STRONG ammonia odor buildup in my rat room. I was looking for an answer that would let me move to once a week cleaning (time as well as cost and disposal of that much litter was becoming an issue). I tried lots of things~ and discarded most when they were ineffective~ and finally concluded that I was just too sensitive to the smell and would have to continue to change twice a week.

Well guess what? I found and answer~ I think~ on accident!

I had my mice racks right next to my rats racks(no reason, just cuz). A breeder friend suggested I may get better production from each if I moved them further from each other~ as the odor of what is usually a competing species may be impeding breeding. I didn't really have a problem with production~ but willing to try just about anything that keeps me having to breed MORE of the beasties~ I seperated them. Only by about 10 feet (space constraints)~ but seperated.

I've not noticed much difference in production~ but there is a DRASTIC difference in the ammonia odor!!! They must have been trying to cover the odor of the competing species with their own~ and marking more than they do now that they are further apart!!

Good for me! I think I may NOW be able to move to once a week cleanings!!!

princess
04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Brilliant news...any idea how I can convince my boyfriend to let me breed feeders again?
...he's sticking to his guns... :shrugs:

Traci1
04-18-2005, 03:22 PM
well get this...I had my rats outside for a bit on Sunday, in the wire part of their cage (the bottom of their cage is a glass tank, but it also has a wire "topper" that sits on top so they have more room) I cleaned and disinfected the glass tank while giving them a chance to "air out" a bit inside the wire part. But when I brought them back in they stank worse than before! But a different kind of stink. It is worse than just dirty bedding smell. I don't know what kind of scent they are emitting since being outside, but it makes me want to gag. Any one have any ideas as to what is causing this? I'm ready to give them a bath or something!! Peewwww!

Taceas
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Weird! But glad you got it figured out, Cheryl.

I've noticed my rats stink worse when I have them on a more odiferous bedding than their normal aspen. I had them on some old old pine shavings that barely smells pine-ish anymore when I ran out of aspen last week. And man, the smell of rat in the garage was just about enough to gag a maggot.

When I got a new bag of aspen and re-changed their bedding after 4 days of being on pine... not a sniff of the same smell to be found.

I guess its like my bird...she's loud as is, but when you have the vacuum cleaner going, she gets 10 decibels higher just so she can hear herself over the noise. ;)

Traci1
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I guess its like my bird...she's loud as is, but when you have the vacuum cleaner going, she gets 10 decibels higher just so she can hear herself over the noise. ;)

so to get rid of their new "gentle breeze" scent (from being outside) they decided to be extra stinky is that it?? i think i'm going to change their bedding again tonight, because I can't stand the smell. Then probably close them in the lower part this time and take the wire part out and wash it. gag a maggot is right! blah