• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Use of Flagyl

Shaky

Ought to know better
It was recommended by a breeder that I try flagyl on a problem feeder. I haven't used this before, and I'd like suggestions.
Thanks

Flagyl

Its an anti-bacterial med that is said to stimulate appetite in snakes

Flagyl is a anti-parasitic used to treat protozoans. I wouldn't recommend it without a fecal test to tell you whether or not protozoans are the problem. IMHO

Tim,...

Yeah, I dont propose this lightly, but I have a couple of very experienced friends who say its no big deal if you replace the beneficial bacteria. Actually, I'd have them be there for the procedure. Seems its fairly common to dose WCs in W. Texas with no deleterious results. Hmm...
In any case, I really dont want to use it, and wont unless his small appetite disappears.
Have you used it yourself?
Thanks for the reply.

I am

Using Flagyl right now with a W.C. A.T.B. I recently got. Vet started dosing Flagyl before the fecals even came back, so yes, I'd say giving flagyl to a W.C. is often what is done right away.

Although I must say, I wouldn't use flagyl for just an appetite stimulant if parasites aren't your problem unless the vet recommends it and all other courses of action aren't working.

bmm

Yes I have used it and it works well on protozoans. I doubt it will stimulate your animals appetite if its problem is something other than protozoans. where I live a fecal exam is about $10, it's well worth it to know what's going on in your snake. IMHO

fecals..

My reservation on taking him to the vet was that I had no feces. Well, today he launched a large spot of diarrhea AND regurged the fuzzy he ate 2 weeks ago.
Will take it in tomorrow.
I'm kinda worried.
Are these things usually simple to cure?

hmm

Well can't say if its simple to cure or not, but I know that having a fecal sample or not doesn't matter.

Recently I had to bring my A.T.B. to the vet for a fecal, and I had no fecal because he hasn't eaten in two months. And they just gave him a calonic (sp) flush a.k.a. snake enema, this way they got a fecal sample and ended up getting out tons of substrate he had been eating.

I would definitly get to the vet tomorrow like you said, Its odd he regurged after two weeks?! Whats up with that? anyways good luck!!!!

bmm

Unless you actually saw it regurge I doubt it was that, never heard of regurge after two weeks. Make sure your Vet can test for protozoans, some don't have a microscope that is powerful enough to test for them. If you find out that it is Protozoans, I'd get enough Flagyl to treat all your snakes and treat them all. The little buggers can spread like wildfire. Also sanitize all your cages and equipment. Treatment is normally every two weeks for three treatments. Protozoans are easy to get control of, if that's what you've got. After treatment you might think about giving your snakes some probiotics to re-establish gut bacteria. IMHO

Vet says negative results

The fecal exam came up OK. Nothing to note.
The regurged mouse, though, was almost completely intact and undigested over 2 weeks later.
Maybe just a dose of "good bacteria" - what is it, Probiotics?
I'm stumped. But less worried.

While we're on the subject of Flagyl...

Does anyone know the formula for calculating the proper dosage for snakes (corns specifically) based upon weight?

thanks, tim

it defines probiotics fairly well.
I wonder if different animal groups have different intestinal cultures, though.
EG: Would a snake need a diff. probiotic than an iguana would?
Seems the product is a catch-all

yes, Silvertongue..

I'm picking up an amber corn there.
I think I will only be there for the sale on Sunday, though

Only Sunday is the sale. Saturday ...

will be talks on various herps. A banquet dinner is Sat. Nite, then an auction.
Check the East Texas Herp Society's webpage

Back