PDA

View Full Version : Tired of cornsnakes :(

Tired of cornsnakes :(

Slams
08-08-2002, 09:24 PM
this baby corn has some problem it refuses to eat, I have used delicups, brown bags, day time, night time lol
i always give him lives one but sh!t it doesn't eat. I have heard of just the head, but what do i do stick the little buzzer in freezer and let him freeze to death thats not nice :( i feel bad doing it to the pinky. Then i cut its head off frozen or something? why would it eat a head versus a body?

Susan
08-08-2002, 10:13 PM
The size of just a pinky head doesn't intimidate the occasional problem feeder like a whole pinky may. It also exposes the "juicy" brain, which has also been known to stimulate feeding. Scenting a F/T pinky with a lizard is another method to stimulate the reluctant feeder. Sometimes, the movement of a pinky is enough to frighten a hatchling, especially if it is a fairly "large" pinky. Have you tried a really small newborn pinky? It may be hard to find, but worth looking for.

Placing a pinky in the freezer is actually a fairly humane way to euthanize them. They just "go to sleep" when their body temp drops. Because they are so small, this doesn't take long and they don't feel nearly as much pain, nor for as long a time, as when a person suffers from hypothermia.

I would suggest you try the pinky head and/or the lizard scenting, unless you would rather see your snake slowly starve to death. It may, sadly, happen anyway, but you will at least know that you tried all that you could.

I have 8 problem feeders that I am currently working with. I've already lost 5 others. Some hatchlings are just destined not to survive, even with force feeding. 2 of my little "problems" are actually hatchlings that ate their first meal or two, and then just decided to quit. If there hadn't been a delay in their sale, they would now probably be somebody else's problem. Sometimes I'm glad when a deal doesn't go through right away.

And please, rethink your opinion of cornsnakes. Just because you are currently having some bad luck doesn't mean that all cornsnakes are problems. I also breed boas and have 2 more "problems" in that group, and I also lost one of them as well.

Good luck with your little one.

Iris
08-08-2002, 11:19 PM
If you got the snake from a pet store, you might be able to exchange him for one that's already eating.
Corns are great! Don't get discouraged b/c of just one stubborn hatchling.

Slams
08-09-2002, 12:12 AM
is there such thing as corn snakes that give no problems? Tomorrow I am goign to go to the snake store and talk to the guy and see wtf is up. See if i can exchange or something. 2bad it wasn't as easy as my ball python. I just dangle the mouse and snap he eats it. Maybe ill try chopping the pinkys head off

pinatamonkey
08-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Yes, there are corn snakes that don't have problems. It's in the individual. Corn snakes as a whole are a LOT less problematic than some other species (ball pythons in particular).