PDA

View Full Version : Shipping

Shipping

SilverTongue
08-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Hey what do some of you breeders use to ship animals across country? Where do you get them? Basicaly i want to beable to ship reptiles but dont know what I need.

LadyChaos
08-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Deli cups and styrofoam lined boxes....I cut styro to fit the box I was using before, recently stumbled across a packaging store that sells the formed styro box inside a cardboard box marked perishable....quite handy. Inside the cup I like to use a lightly crumpled paper towel as it gives them something to wrap themselves around rather than a handful of shavings. Some use newspaper to help hold the cups in place, I've used packing peanuts. Knowing the weather where you are shipping is imperative. I haven't used a cold pack yet this year, merely made sure that I ship for early delivery therefore avoiding ridiculous temps even in TX...but there are times when they are necessary. Use the small blue gel ones that most drugstores will carry (I know Longs does) Heat packs are used when it gets cold, make sure you wrap said pack in a paper towel or newspaper, but not too snugly as they need some air to function.

always, always, ALWAYS ship overnight...the earlier the arrival the better. I've used FedEx and Airborne in the past and now use UPS exclusively...haven't had a problem yet.

SilverTongue
08-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks i will look into it :)

Kevin M
08-09-2002, 09:53 PM
A Deli cup with either wood shavings or papertowels do fine for hatchlings with larger cups or pillowcases for yearlings or adults. Weather permitting you could also moisten whatever substrate you use. Once that's settled be sure to use a styrofoam lined cardboard box to pack all your cups/bags into. I also like to pack crumbled newspaper around any space that might be left after the cups/bags have been placed inside to keep movement to a minimum. I also like to puncture air holes through the boxes <i>and</i> styrofoam for air circulation.

I've used FedEx & Airborne Express with no problems. Overnight shipping is a must.

SilverTongue
08-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Coo there is a box store not even a half a block from me (privlage of living in an apartment) I will go check them out tomarrow..

Will Delta Dash or FeDx or UPS deliver to Canada??