PDA

View Full Version : How flighty?

How flighty?

Kilojara16
08-09-2002, 03:59 PM
What can I expect the first time I hold my hatchling (next week)? Do they try to get out of your hands? Will I need to hold on? Just wanted to know beforehand.

Jimmy C.
08-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi Kilojara16,
It's different with each snake. just make sure you are by your bed or on the floor or by a table just incase. Remember that they are babies and that their bones are very delicate so dont squeeze too hard.
Good luck,
Jimmy C.

Neil
08-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Also remember that most healthy hatchlings are very active and like to squirm about a lot. Just let it slither gently across your hands and it should get used to being held eventually.
Neil.

Iris
08-09-2002, 07:47 PM
Sitting on the floor or a bed like Jimmy said is a good idea. My hatchling (which I've had for a few weeks) is STILL so nervous that she tends to sky dive off my hands.

carol
08-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Definately on the floor!!! My hatchlings bite hard and leap five feet in the air whenever you try to touch them. You may want to try a padded room. HEE HEE, just kidding Kilo. If you move slow they will move slow too and mostly crawl all over and it doesn't take much skill to keep them in hand. But sudden movements can send them off in a hurry, so just adjust your caution to your surroundings. When I bring them, they will be pretty calm because for now I am still keeping most of my hatchlings together. So don't be suprised that it is totally calm when you get him/her and it ends up being a little jumpy over the next week or two. When they are kept together they are used to getting bumped and touched, but when they are alone for awhile, they may get a little more reserved. But still nothing to worry about. If you handle it often enough it should stay calm. Getting Closer!

WOW, spelling was really bad on this one, sorry guys.

Missymonkey
08-10-2002, 10:07 PM
I just got my two hatchlings last tuesday, and the first time I held them they did just fine, Maisy (okeetee) isn't shy at all, she tried to climb up my arm and was curious about everything, she did nip me though when I wouldn't let her crawl out of my hands, Zoe on the other hand (anery A) is very shy, she wasn't to into being held and tried to get away for the first few minutes and then settled down to where she was more managable and easier to hold.... Just don't be afraid to hold them and let them know that they aren't going to get away and you'll do fine.

Have fun!

Kat
08-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Some hatchlings will be perfectly content to be held, and will just explore, others will freak out and try to escape... still others may bite. I've had all 3 kinds in my clutch this year, so it's not necessarily hereditary. Most of the time they will calm down with handling and as they get older... not always, though... I have a hypo B male nearing adulthood and he still strikes (and draws a little blood too!).

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Don't be surprised if he/she does a little tail shaking when you first try to pick her up the first few times, this seems to stop after they get more comfortable. PLUS.. Don't sit on the couch with him while he is still that little. Merlin and I were sitting on the couch watching TV, and he wasn't even moving fast, but he just slipped into the couch. We had to cut him out.
Hey! Have fun with your new baby. You have been waiting so long, or at least it feels that way. ~~~~~~~~:~ Sam

Giarc
04-13-2004, 08:54 AM
I have started to get the same problem the first time i handeld mine he not really jumped off me but anyway got away from me and then down the back of the bed. See now the problem with that is he might go under the floor boards

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
04-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Wow this is an old post. VERY COOL> My Merlin is now so big I couldn't lose him if I tried. Time flies when you have babies to take care of everyday. Good Luck with yours and welcome aboard! :cheers: Sam ~~~~~~~:~

sumguy
04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by PSYCOSNAKEMOM
slipped into the couch. We had to cut him out.

Wasn't paying attention yesterday and my normal got inside the recliner's armrest. Had to cut him out as well. :awcrap:

MegF.
04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
My new Aztec Okeetee decided to slither away from me, and before I could get a hold of her, had squeezed herself into the mechanism on my computer chair. I had to disassemble the whole thing, and then put a nice dark feeder box around it to get her to come out. I was sweating there for a bit!! I was so afraid the spring would crush her or something. She survived though, and had a mouse later in the afternoon.