• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feed baby live or frozen pinky?

ZCore

I've read about what is best to feed babies and I'm still confused and let me explain why. My wife and I went into a pet store while waiting for a movie to start next door and ended up buying a corn snake for my stepson. It was an impulse buy so I wasn't very well schooled on what to ask and what not. So here is my problem....the 2 sales girls that were waiting on us told us they eat "pinky" mice which is fine. But the one girl at first said live pinkies and then when the other girl took over waiting on us she said they were eating frozen ones. I never thought to ask again and its time tomorrow for its first feeding with us. Not knowing if its been eating frozen or live which should I go with? Sorry this is so long just trying to explain why I'm confused. Thanks

Also should I feed him in his 10 gal tank or take him out and put him in a shoebox. Whats your opinion on this?

im feeding my snake frozen mice since its less hassle to have them arround in the freezer, and its more practical in the end, because he might not want to eat frozen stuff again if u switch to live.

and i feed him outside the tank, at least, i dont put the mice directly on his substray for he could swallow a piece of wood.

you can as well do searchs on those topic, more experienced owner have been talking about those topic over and over, on this, happy snake keeping.

Well on the frozen vs live mice debate i am not really sure, it kind of depends on your snake, you can try feeding him a live one and hell will mostlikely eat it but a second opinon would be good.

as for the feeding spot, i suggest you feed your snake out of your vivarium because there is a chance that your snake will eat your subterain and will hurt your little buddy. a shoe box is a good place to feed, if you want you can place paper towels or newspaper in the box. When i feed my snake(lucifer) i use a clear tup aware so i can see him in action! :)

Hope the information i gave u helps you, good luck with the snake :cheers:

OK one more question please. When I feed him outside the vivarium do I leave him in the shoebox/tupperware or whatever for a couple days before handling him? I know I could have learned more about this but I knew I wasn't going to have time to sit for very long tonight and read and tomorrow I have to work and need to get its food while I'm out. So I appreciate you all for helping me even if I've asked a repetitive question.

i feed mine one mice on my desk, and put it back in the aquarium, put another on his bush, and then i leave him alone for 2 days

ZCore said:
When I feed him outside the vivarium do I leave him in the shoebox/tupperware or whatever for a couple days before handling him? QUOTE]

NO. You don't want to leave them in the feeding container because it's not likely you've set this container up for the proper digestion temperatures. Remember, your snake needs heat for thermoregulation and proper digestion. I'm sure you're not going to be heating this shoebox. Put him/her back in the vivarium where you SHOULD be offering temps around 82-85 degrees on the warm side. Your corn will probably immediately seek a warm spot (mine always do) to begin digestion.

You should, however, allow your snake at least 2 days of digestion before trying to handle him/her again. I don't handle mine again until they poo'd, but I'd at least wait until you can't see the lump in them anymore.

I've found most of my snakes have transferred easily from live to f/t if the mouse is warmed sufficiently. I make sure the temp of the mouse is about the same as a live one (100-101 degrees F). I've never had a problem yet. I would give your snake a few days to acclimate to it's new surroundings before attempting to feed, so don't worry if you have to wait a few days to get everything in order.

Just to let you all know I fed my snake a frozen pinky today and everything went fine. I put him in a little tank I have to feed him and dropped the pinky down in front of him and he went to eating. Thank you all for your input and help.

Back