PDA

View Full Version : Same day every week??

Same day every week??

FlaStangBabe
04-29-2005, 07:10 PM
we feed our snakes every saturday...now if we want to change that feeding day is there downsides? also we were told to feed more frequently (every 5 days rather than every7) before upping the pinky from 1 to 2...true or false?

thanks

ZCore
04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I was going to ask this same question....hopefully we get an answer.

FlaStangBabe
04-29-2005, 10:40 PM
I was going to ask this same question....hopefully we get an answer.

doesnt look like it... i normally get responses that go somewhat like "use the search" yada yada...if i wanted to read through tons of material i would get a book, i come here for quick answers...i am a full time student and have a full time job... sometimes i get a few mins to sit online... not usually...

oh well...what can you do :shrugs:

Joejr14
04-29-2005, 10:40 PM
we feed our snakes every saturday...now if we want to change that feeding day is there downsides? also we were told to feed more frequently (every 5 days rather than every7) before upping the pinky from 1 to 2...true or false?

thanks

No, there is no downside to changing the feeding schedule. Snakes in the wild dont eat every 7 days, obviously. Going 8, 6, or 10 days and changing it every week will not hurt the snake. It is just easier on us, to have a specific feeding day.

False? I've never heard of that. You can feed hatchlings every 5-7 days, but there's no need to decrease time before meals before stepping up. You'll hear that you should feed two pinkies before moving up to fuzzies, two fuzzies before moving up to hoppers, etc. I personally have never done that, so to each his own.

Joejr14
04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
doesnt look like it... i normally get responses that go somewhat like "use the search" yada yada...if i wanted to read through tons of material i would get a book, i come here for quick answers...i am a full time student and have a full time job... sometimes i get a few mins to sit online... not usually...

oh well...what can you do :shrugs:

No offense, but you're not the only one. However, the search feature takes less time than asking the question and waiting for a response. Most people here have answered this specific question dozens of times, and it gets a bit annoying to keep answering the same question every week.

I'm not trying to come across as an ass, I'm just explaining why a lot of these already answered topics that get re-asked dont normally get re-answered.

FlaStangBabe
04-29-2005, 10:48 PM
No offense, but you're not the only one. However, the search feature takes less time than asking the question and waiting for a response. Most people here have answered this specific question dozens of times, and it gets a bit annoying to keep answering the same question every week.

I'm not trying to come across as an ass, I'm just explaining why a lot of these already answered topics that get re-asked dont normally get re-answered.

but, for me anyway, it is easier to ask and check in between classes... or at night before bed... i dont have the 20 mins to read through it... if i sign on and there is no answer i simply come back later... so for me it is easier to ask then to search and read...just like it is easier to call and as the reptile shop then read a book. and your not coming across as an ass....

i belong to another forum and we are constantly answering the same questions all the time...and as an old timer to that site i am glad to...whereas here i feel like i am being ignored and sometimes attacked...but to each his own...

gardenmum
04-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Like Joe said, there is no problem with changing feeding days at anytime. In the wild they eat whenever they feel like it. What I wanted to add is, you are asking about upping from one pinky to two pinkies so I am assuming you are feeding one pinky at this time. With baby snakes that are eating one pinky a meal, I would suggest feeding every 5 days instead of every 7. When they move up to two pinks they can go every 7 days. This is just a suggestion.

And no, there should be no reason to feed more often before and upping in size or quantity of food. What you need to do is make sure the snake can handle the upped amount, that is what's important. If after the snake eats its food the prey item leaves hardly a noticeable lump in the belly, then it is definitely time to up the food. If the prey item is still leaving a very noticeable lump then it is best to wait. Too little food and the snake will not grow well but too much food and the snake could very well regurge.

Good luck with all. :)

oh well...what can you do

Well, IF you really wanted to learn all you need to know about what you are doing, you would be willing to read through ALL the information you could get your hands on. And what better way then the easy access of a forum where you can read and copy and look things over without leaving your house. How easy would you like it?

I read EVERYTHING on all the forums when I first got my snakes. I bought the books and read them. THAT is the way to learn, not going for the "quick" and easy answers. I have to say, that is a little offensive for you to say that you are upset because someone doesn't answer your question right away and that sometimes you are told to look for the answers. The people you are ASKING to give you the answers are the people who have taken the time to study their hobby and read and do hands on learing, and then you want them also to give you the quick answers that they have written multiple times already. I have no problem giving answers when I can, as I did above, but am offended to have people want answers without putting any effort into it. This takes our time to write these out and we also had to spend the time studying and learning, remember that.

FlaStangBabe
04-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, IF you really wanted to learn all you need to know about what you are doing, you would be willing to read through ALL the information you could get your hands on. And what better way then the easy access of a forum where you can read and copy and look things over without leaving your house. How easy would you like it?

Not necesarily. i dont read up on everything i want to pick up as a hobby, or on pets. I'm not a breeder and i dont feel like i need ALL the information that they need. These snakes are simply pets, not a project for me to see what i can get out of them. so i dont need ALL the information here. (including the posts about peoples cameras not working.)

I read EVERYTHING on all the forums when I first got my snakes. I bought the books and read them. THAT is the way to learn, not going for the "quick" and easy answers.

I bought the book too! congradulations... but like i said earlier i would rather be reading my sociology book to pass my final then read the cornsnake book. so i come here...

I have to say, that is a little offensive for you to say that you are upset because someone doesn't answer your question right away and that sometimes you are told to look for the answers.

I NEVER asked for an answer right away. Heck, I dont have time to look at it "right away" i am simply asking for answers. thats all. too much to ask? well sorry, in that case i will ask the reptile store that is around the corner and hope that all the sales poeple tell me the correct things to do.

The people you are ASKING to give you the answers are the people who have taken the time to study their hobby and read and do hands on learing, and then you want them also to give you the quick answers that they have written multiple times already.

There have been some occasions where i have used the search and it didnt give me what i was looking for so i would ask about it and i would get a smart ass remark like "Gosh, repeating myself again" or "use the search" when i have. so now it is more or less me just not wanted to be sniped at, and i am tired of yalls condecending ways.

I have no problem giving answers when I can, as I did above, but am offended to have people want answers without putting any effort into it. This takes our time to write these.

I appreciate your responce and help. But, who are you to say i don't put any effort into it? that offends me! i have had my BF look up some of these things... when he cant find it ill ask here. sometimes ill look up some things...when i cant find it ill ask here... but there are some times where i cant search for an hour and i ask and wait till i have time to check on my question.

BTW. i dont know why i am still here trying to defend myself... yall dont listen anyway. Time to go STUDY for my finals... dont really have time for more of this lovely banter

princess
04-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I read EVERYTHING on all the forums when I first got my snakes. I bought the books and read them. THAT is the way to learn, not going for the "quick" and easy answers. I have to say, that is a little offensive for you to say that you are upset because someone doesn't answer your question right away and that sometimes you are told to look for the answers. The people you are ASKING to give you the answers are the people who have taken the time to study their hobby and read and do hands on learing, and then you want them also to give you the quick answers that they have written multiple times already. I have no problem giving answers when I can, as I did above, but am offended to have people want answers without putting any effort into it. This takes our time to write these out and we also had to spend the time studying and learning, remember that.

Yeah, what she said!!!

Dianne, I did exactly the same as you when I first signed up. I read through every single post in the husbandry and basic care section and the feeding and health issues bit because they gave me specific information about the stage that my hobby was at. I didn't get into trawling through the breeding section and the cultivars section until a little later when breeding started to catch my interest. Flastang, you said that you didn't want to read everything because it doesn't apply to you, but why not learn something superfluous in the process of attaining your more 'general' knowledge.

Do your lecturers say to you to read paragraph 4 in chapter 2 by heart because that will be on the final? No, they expect you to learn a broad range of information and then test you on random bits to see that you have an overview. The search function is there as a learning tool, just like any search engine, you need to put in some effective keywords to get effective information back. If you typed in feeding frequency as I just did and got 29 responses, you'd be able to find that info in at least a handul of those posts. You could try other keywords like 'feed 5 days', 'hatchling feeding', 'feeding schedule', etc and get even more, also you'll notice on a thread when you scroll right down to the bottom, there's a list of threads on a similar topic...they can also be good helpers.

I'm like one of those annoying tutors that tells you which book to read to get the answer to your question rather than give you the answer outright aren't I!!!??? :grin01:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

FlaStangBabe
04-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, what she said!!!

Dianne, I did exactly the same as you when I first signed up. I read through every single post in the husbandry and basic care section and the feeding and health issues bit because they gave me specific information about the stage that my hobby was at. I didn't get into trawling through the breeding section and the cultivars section until a little later when breeding started to catch my interest. Flastang, you said that you didn't want to read everything because it doesn't apply to you, but why not learn something superfluous in the process of attaining your more 'general' knowledge.

Do your lecturers say to you to read paragraph 4 in chapter 2 by heart because that will be on the final? No, they expect you to learn a broad range of information and then test you on random bits to see that you have an overview. The search function is there as a learning tool, just like any search engine, you need to put in some effective keywords to get effective information back. If you typed in feeding frequency as I just did and got 29 responses, you'd be able to find that info in at least a handul of those posts. You could try other keywords like 'feed 5 days', 'hatchling feeding', 'feeding schedule', etc and get even more, also you'll notice on a thread when you scroll right down to the bottom, there's a list of threads on a similar topic...they can also be good helpers.

I'm like one of those annoying tutors that tells you which book to read to get the answer to your question rather than give you the answer outright aren't I!!!??? :grin01:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THIS SITE. YOU'RE WELCOME!

i know how to use a search engine i am not asking you to teach me. YOU Princess are one of those condecending people that i just cant handle. I'll get more respect from the people at the shop aound the corner.

I DONT NEED YOUR STUDYING TECHNIQUES. but thanks anyway. I know how to study on my own. so your little quote about fishing doesnt apply. because i dont need you to teach me to use the search option, because i know how to use it. but thank you anyway.

enjoy your time being RUDE to newbies. I am one who wont take the "I know more then you, so I will hold it over your head" ways of thinking.

exoticpetz
05-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Princess, apparently you`re royal pain in the ass
Gardenmum, come down from your high horse. She`s trying to achieve the same thing you once were via a different method. One that fits HER lifestyle and commitments.

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 12:42 AM
While gardenmum and princess may appear to be on high horses, I believe their responses were respectful and appropriate. Unfortunately the rude manner in which others take those responses and 'retaliate' back is in my opinion ridiculous. You come looking for help, get helped, and then complain about the manner of help you got. I ask 'Why ask for help in the first place? Apparently your too smart to be helped.'

I get this all the time at my PT pet store job. People ask for help, you help them, and then they argue with you about your answers which have been based on successful personal experience . . . :shrugs: Bummer for them . . NEXT?!!

D80

Joejr14
05-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Like Joe said, there is no problem with changing feeding days at anytime. In the wild they eat whenever they feel like it. What I wanted to add is, you are asking about upping from one pinky to two pinkies so I am assuming you are feeding one pinky at this time. With baby snakes that are eating one pinky a meal, I would suggest feeding every 5 days instead of every 7. When they move up to two pinks they can go every 7 days. This is just a suggestion.

And no, there should be no reason to feed more often before and upping in size or quantity of food. What you need to do is make sure the snake can handle the upped amount, that is what's important. If after the snake eats its food the prey item leaves hardly a noticeable lump in the belly, then it is definitely time to up the food. If the prey item is still leaving a very noticeable lump then it is best to wait. Too little food and the snake will not grow well but too much food and the snake could very well regurge.

Good luck with all. :)

:Stands and cheers:

I totally agree with this. I jumped in when I first started posting here, and made more than a few mistakes, but the wealth of knowledge is obtained by searching, reading, and learning---not being told.

If you're not prepared, or refuse to learn, then perhaps you shouldn't own pets. I'm just painting a broad brush here, and I do understand that you are under a lot of stress with finals, FlStang. I just got done with 3 myself, but I still find time to come here and try to help people out--as I did with you.

It is coming across as if you are throwing a temper tantrum because you dont agree that you should be inconvenienced to use the search feature---which imo is extremely rude. Not many here breed corns for their living, which means they have a real job or are going to school. I'm in college too, so spare the sob story about being in school and working. Everyone else here manages to find time to browse posts and give advice or learn new things.

Like I said, I understand that you're stressed with exams, but why come off rude about it? Why not wait a week, and then since exams will be done you can spend some time reading the CSM or browing posts on here that pertain to what you would like to learn, instead of getting fiesty that nobody answers a question that has been asked 100's of times in what you consider an 'appropriate length of time'.

THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THIS SITE. YOU'RE WELCOME!

:sobstory: :wavey:

If you feel that you can find better advice at a petstore or some other online forum such as reptileforums, have fun. I'd wager a bet with you that those sources dont come nearly as close to the knowledge on this board---not one bit.

hediki
05-01-2005, 12:56 AM
i dont think you should be sending people to use the seach feature on this site when they ask a question, it is useful in soem ways, but the poin of this forum is to ask questions and share knowledge. if the seach feature was more useful than actual respectfu andl meaningful post, im sure rich would have cut out certain parts of the forum. so if some1 as a question and your not gonna answer respectfuly dont answer. so FlaStangBabe dont leave people like princess and gardenmum will always be here so dont let them scare u :cheers: .

Joejr14
05-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Princess, apparently you`re royal pain in the ass
Gardenmum, come down from your high horse. She`s trying to achieve the same thing you once were via a different method. One that fits HER lifestyle and commitments.

What is going on around here lately? So many noobs calling out respected, knowledgeable keepers/breeders--it's ridiculous.

From what I've seen on reading so many of these threads, is totally in contradiction from what you're saying. I've never once felt that Gardenmum gallops around the forum on a high horse.

:shrugs:

Joejr14
05-01-2005, 01:02 AM
i dont think you should be sending people to use the seach feature on this site when they ask a question, it is useful in soem ways, but the poin of this forum is to ask questions and share knowledge. if the seach feature was more useful than actual respectfu andl meaningful post, im sure rich would have cut out certain parts of the forum. so if some1 as a question and your not gonna answer respectfuly dont answer. so FlaStangBabe dont leave people like princess and gardenmum will always be here so dont let them scare u :cheers: .

Perhaps so, but the point remains that nobody is too 'good' to use the search feature. There is no reason that someone cannot type in 'feeding size' or 'feeding frequency' into the search and read those threads. The specific two questions she asked have been answered many times over on this board.

It's as simple as this: If she is too inconvenienced to use the search feature, why should others be inconvenienced to respond to a question that has been asked and answered numerous times before? Usually questions get answered, regardless of if they've been asked before, but dont expect those questions to be answered right away--and dont get fiesty when they dont.

The time that is spent complaining or bitching could be spent looking at threads and finding the answer, or flipping to that particular section in the CSM. It would save everyone a lot of time and a lot of aggrivation---and hurt feelings.

I need to get my butt in gear about these 'Read Before You Post' stickies.

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 01:21 AM

9 times out of 10 an answer is posted ALONG WITH a recommendation to use the search function to find out more about the question being asked.

FSB had the time and effort to write a rather lengthy response to gardenmums very respectful response to her question. First off, it contradicts her comments that she has no time. Secondly, it came off as rude, inconsiderate, childish, petty, whiny, and rather insulting.

High Five to Joe. I'm really the digging the majority of positive posts your puttin' out there lately! Great comments! (Can't give you any pos rep points yet, gotta spread the wealth apparently!) Too bad you're forced to deal with the problem of 'he who shall not be named' :cool: :crazy02:

BTW, back on topic, changing your feeding schedule shouldn't be a problem. I personally feed same day every week with an occasional week off for everyone. I used to feed newborn hatchlings twice a week, but switched to once a week, but moved them up to larger sized meals sooner than I did when feeding twice a week. Also, if you use the search function you can probably find all kinds of other information about feeding schedules and such . . . :sidestep:

D80

BLKsteeda
05-01-2005, 01:40 AM
9 times out of 10 an answer is posted ALONG WITH a recommendation to use the search function to find out more about the question being asked.

FSB had the time and effort to write a rather lengthy response to gardenmums very respectful response to her question. First off, it contradicts her comments that she has no time. Secondly, it came off as rude, inconsiderate, childish, petty, whiny, and rather insulting.

High Five to Joe. I'm really the digging the majority of positive posts your puttin' out there lately! Great comments! (Can't give you any pos rep points yet, gotta spread the wealth apparently!) Too bad you're forced to deal with the problem of 'he who shall not be named' :cool: :crazy02:

BTW, back on topic, changing your feeding schedule shouldn't be a problem. I personally feed same day every week with an occasional week off for everyone. I used to feed newborn hatchlings twice a week, but switched to once a week, but moved them up to larger sized meals sooner than I did when feeding twice a week. Also, if you use the search function you can probably find all kinds of other information about feeding schedules and such . . . :sidestep:

D80

If you people don't have time to answer her questions where do you come up with all the time to attack her?

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks for quoting me completely, because I did answer her question as well as defending others who happened to have answered her questions. Why did she attack them back when they gave her answers . . . for that matter, she was attacking 'everyone' before she even got an answer . . .

oh well...what can you do

That was the third (her second) post on the thread . . . a mere 3 1/2 hours after she originally asked the question. I started a thread looking for information on charcoal stripes several DAYS ago that hasn't gotten any response . . . am I going off half cocked about not getting any responses?

D80

BLKsteeda
05-01-2005, 02:42 AM
why don't you just change the site to www.cornsnakesusethesearchfunction.com that always seems to be the advice given here! I've received the same condesending treatment on this site as well from many members here!

SunnyDelight
05-01-2005, 03:12 AM
i do more lurking around this site than actualy posting... but here goes

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!! it takes the same amount of time to read a couple posts in the search function as it does to post a new thread and check for responses. you dont have to read an entire thread in one sitting, thats the beauty of it. ive used the search function dozens of times, probably the one reason im a lurker and not a poster :)

and as for everyones attitudes, bravo joe and all who answered the questions and then suggested the search feature.

flastang... in my eyes no one was attacking you! if you really think you dont have the time to read what you find in the search function... then try being polite. thank people when they give you advice (EVEN if they suggest the search function at the end), and dont jump on them if you dont get a response right away.

ok, that took approx. 2 mins to type out... at the rate i read... i probably could have searched and read at least 1 thread starter and 3 or 4 replies...

DdotSpot
05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Wow...this thread went downhill quick :(

Why does this thread keep going? Why is there still ravings? I think the point is successfully driven home about the search feature. Seems everyone wants to jump on and say what everyone has already effectively communicated and in the process jump on the 'beat up FlaStang' bandwagon. Hmm, no wonder she left.

I think we ALL need a little more patience :D

I hesitate hitting this 'Post Reply' button because I know now I will get the flak...

Ok, dangit I'm hitting it

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 08:53 AM
I am always amazed at how a lot of the new people behave when they come on this site! Do you not know that to be respected, one must be respectful? By the third post in this thread, respect was already thrown out by you, FlaStang. I think Joe, Dianne, Drizzt, and all of the others that have replied to you have been VERY respectful despite your disrespectful attitude.

Well, I for one, am not going to answer your initial question since it has already been answered. I am going to post my feelings about all of the hostility. I see behavior like yours, hediki, and BLKsteeda almost every day when I am dealing with my 15 year old daughter. Unfortunately these days, it seems that most young people want the easy way out. They want to be spoon fed knowledge/experience instead of having to learn "the hard way." My own daughter is like this. She's lazy and expects life to just drop knowledge and "goodness" at her door. I am constantly having to battle that expectation.

Anyway, I don't get why it is OK for you to be inconvenienced by having to use the search function, but you don't have a problem about inconveniencing people that have answered this same question over and over again. That, in my opinion, is very selfish.

Daniel, it's not about jumping on the bandwagon to "beat FlaStang up." It's not even about using the search function, in my opinion. It's about respect and some "life lessons." If people would learn to do some work themselves and not expect everyone else to do the work for them, then this world would be a much better place. The blessings are far greater when a person helps himself. That person will appreciate the fruit of his work a lot more.

As was pointed out before, most of us have many responsibilities in life (jobs, families, etc), but yet we find the time to come here and try to help people out. I personally am going to spend my time helping someone with an actual problem before spending it answering a question that has been asked repeatedly.

princess
05-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Wow .... this is the first time I've re-checked this thread since my initial post (where I so rudely tutored FSB on the search function) and I have to say I'm shocked at her response. I'm not taking it personally at all though, for all the reasons you have all stated...People really want to be spoon-fed knowledge these days, we are increasingly becoming a society (and I'm refering to most of the societies represented by people in the forum) of convenience.

I just wonder how long before this issue comes up again.

I'm all for helping the noobs, I was a total rookie a while ago and found this resource brilliant. Now, I can help pass on some of my knowledge down the chain and if some of that knowledge includes---> 'Hey, the search function is great for finding specific info quickly and if you don't find an answer there then ask us and we'll help you' ...then so be it... now pay me my 2 cents!! :grin01:

gardenmum
05-01-2005, 09:54 AM
For exoticpetz, hediki and others who think I was just trying to flame FlaStang.

I DID answer the question asked, in length, first. But I did feel that the remark she made was off and decided to ALSO reply to that as I feel that if someone is going to own an animal, any animal, they should be willing to learn about the care and such by reading what they can to learn what they need to. That is in the BEST interest of the animal. Granted that does NOT mean I think they should not ask questions and get answers for their questions. I have answered many repeat type questions and will continue to do so.

The reason why I took mild offense at FlaStang's post is this.....
doesnt look like it... i normally get responses that go somewhat like "use the search" yada yada...if i wanted to read through tons of material i would get a book, i come here for quick answers...i
This was posted at 10:40 pm and the original question was posted at 7:10 pm. So she comes on, asks a question, comes back to look a few hours later and "complains" because no one has anwered yet. THIS is where my reply to her came from. I don't mind answering repeat questions and do so very often, but I did mind having all of us slammed for not immediately answering the question she posed because she doesn't have time or the desire to do a search. IF she had done a search, she would have found a lot on that particular issue of feeding. BUT even if she had not done a search and waited for the reply, others, like Joe and I did, would have answered this, regardless of the other times it had been answered.

I tried to be polite about how I felt about this, maybe I did not do as good a job as I had wanted, and if that is so, then I apologize. I too work and I have a family, but I also take the time to learn about the care of whatever animal I have ever owned, including the rats and mice I raise for feed. I have NO problem in sharing any knowledge I have accumulated with anyone at anytime but did have a slight issue with that offensive remark like no one else has a life and should give time to answer her questions immediately.

And this reply to my post.....
I NEVER asked for an answer right away. Heck, I dont have time to look at it "right away" i am simply asking for answers. thats all. too much to ask? well sorry, in that case i will ask the reptile store that is around the corner and hope that all the sales poeple tell me the correct things to do.
FlaStang, if you never asked for a quick answer, why the remark 3 hours after your post that "gee, I didn't get a reply and they will just tell me to search anyway?"

And now for the irony of this all......I did a search of all the threads started by FlaStang and in ONE of them she was told that search's help along with being given answers. In all the others, answers were given even though they were ones that have been answered before. So, as I said, I tried to say what I said politely but I guess I did not do so well this time and if that is the case, I apologize for that.

BLKsteeda
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I am always amazed at how a lot of the new people behave when they come on this site! Do you not know that to be respected, one must be respectful? By the third post in this thread, respect was already thrown out by you, FlaStang. I think Joe, Dianne, Drizzt, and all of the others that have replied to you have been VERY respectful despite your disrespectful attitude.

Well, I for one, am not going to answer your initial question since it has already been answered. I am going to post my feelings about all of the hostility. I see behavior like yours, hediki, and BLKsteeda almost every day when I am dealing with my 15 year old daughter. Unfortunately these days, it seems that most young people want the easy way out. They want to be spoon fed knowledge/experience instead of having to learn "the hard way." My own daughter is like this. She's lazy and expects life to just drop knowledge and "goodness" at her door. I am constantly having to battle that expectation.

Anyway, I don't get why it is OK for you to be inconvenienced by having to use the search function, but you don't have a problem about inconveniencing people that have answered this same question over and over again. That, in my opinion, is very selfish.

Daniel, it's not about jumping on the bandwagon to "beat FlaStang up." It's not even about using the search function, in my opinion. It's about respect and some "life lessons." If people would learn to do some work themselves and not expect everyone else to do the work for them, then this world would be a much better place. The blessings are far greater when a person helps himself. That person will appreciate the fruit of his work a lot more.

As was pointed out before, most of us have many responsibilities in life (jobs, families, etc), but yet we find the time to come here and try to help people out. I personally am going to spend my time helping someone with an actual problem before spending it answering a question that has been asked repeatedly.

Your name says it all...well, at least the second half of it does! I know FlaStangBabe personally and she has more respect and more consideration for other people than most of the people I know. She ALWAYS takes time to listen what other people have to say and takes into consideration people's thoughts and feelings and ideas. I am not a hateful or disrespectful person either unless someone is disrespectful to me first, which yes, has happend quite a few times here! Some of he "more experienced" members here seem to treat the "new" people like a rash that wont go away. A moderator needs to lock this thread and put it to bed already!!! :bomb:

princess
05-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I know FlaStangBabe personally and she has more respect and more consideration for other people than most of the people I know. She ALWAYS takes time to listen what other people have to say and takes into consideration people's thoughts and feelings and ideas. :bomb:

Well I'm really glad that you know her and can share with us a positive experience in your interactions with her but the plain fact of the matter is that the way you know her is not how she represented herself here and as we do not have the benefit of knowing her otherwise, we have to evaluate her from that.

In the past I've also been a busy university student with employment that added up to more than full time when you counted my event management business and I still managed to balance my horses, boyfriend, friends, social life, family, dog, etc -so I know what it's like to be busy. Being busy is no excuse for demanding someone helps you and then being annoyed that they haven't jumped to attention within a couple of hours of your asking.

I've asked a number of questions on the forum that have not received answers. and I've answered a number of questions for new people multiple times. You can ask any of the regualr posters that have been around here for 12 months+ how they feel about the same questions being asked over and over and you'll get much the same response as mine.

I don't think dirrecting someone to the search function is doing them or anyone else on the forum a disservice...you may think differently but that's up to you.

I'm dissapointed that this thread turned the way it did, but I honestly don't think I've done anything wrong in sharing my thoughts on the merits of the search function.

FlaStangBabe
05-01-2005, 10:51 AM
OMG are you guys serious?!?! My buddy told me i had to check this thread out, i wasnt going to post anymore but you guys are way outta line... you do realize my frustration wasnt just from this thread, or just from the references to the search option... you are picking what i said and tearing it apart. i have always thanked people for their advice. and Princess i have stood up for you

I am a noob (sorta) and if I was greeted that way I would cry and never come back to chat with yall...

ok maybe not that...but I think Princess gets the point

so i dont know why i am getting hostility from you people. maybe because it is through the internet and a lot of what you type isnt how it sounds in your head when you type it.

you all bring up how i dont use it.. if you go back to my post about ghosts i did use it and it didnt give me what i was looking for. i was asking for comparison pics and i got battered for not being able to tell if it was an adult, yearling or hatchling.

I wasnt pissed at ONE thing... it was an accumulation... i am sorry if i offended anyone but i stick up for myself when i feel like it is needed. and as for looking for the quick way??? yeah i want quick answers and if i am having difficulty finding them i will post a thread... and as far as my schedual you dont know when i have time to come look on the boards... like now, i have time before i meet my mom before brunch, granted i should be getting dressed, but i think ill skip make up today to stick up for myself once again.

and i DO say thank you
thank you so much... he has some beautiful picturesok maybe not that...but I think Princess gets the point

in this quote i dont think i was mean in anyway, just trying to get my point cross after being told what i should know. how should i know if i dont have the experience?
:rolleyes:Come on. Those pictures I posted are clearly not hatchlings. If you own a hatchling, you should know that those dont look like hatchlings.

no offense, but sometimes yall come across really condecending.

the search option wasnt giving me what i was looking for. i wanted to compare the hatchling pic to the pic of when the snake is an adult.

and no i cant tell. there is nothing to compare the size to. is that a yearling? and at what age is a corn considered an adult? these are things i still do not know... i am new to this. but thanks for your help anyway.

btw.. thanks for helping arson

i guess if yall dont get the point now you never will....

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Your name says it all...well, at least the second half of it does! What right do you have to pass that judgement on me? You say you are not a disrespectful person, but yet you passed swift judgement on me that I am mentally unstable. You DO NOT know me, have never talked to me, etc. You have just proven how disrespectful you are.

I know FlaStangBabe personally and she has more respect and more consideration for other people than most of the people I know. She ALWAYS takes time to listen what other people have to say and takes into consideration people's thoughts and feelings and ideas. I am not a hateful or disrespectful person either unless someone is disrespectful to me first, which yes, has happend quite a few times here! Some of he "more experienced" members here seem to treat the "new" people like a rash that wont go away. A moderator needs to lock this thread and put it to bed already!!! :bomb:You must not know many respectful, considerate people. :(

FlaStangBabe
05-01-2005, 11:57 AM
What right do you have to pass that judgement on me? You say you are not a disrespectful person, but yet you passed swift judgement on me that I am mentally unstable. You DO NOT know me, have never talked to me, etc. You have just proven how disrespectful you are.

You must not know many respectful, considerate people. :(

OMG.. you cant take a joke?.. this is what i am talking about with the internet discussions... he wasnt being disrespectful... whe was trying to lighten the situation... not saying your a unstable person but trying to make a point at how silly this whole thing is....insecure much?

peep_827
05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
FlaStangBabe, I'm gonna be blunt with you . . . as you like to say "no offense, but . . ." your 2nd post to this thread basically says "I don't have time to use the search function, yet I'm gonna stomp my foot and insult people because nobody hops to and answers my question!" Now, maybe you did not mean it that way, but it's certainly how it comes off. I have spent too much time reading through this post myself (you aren't the only one who's busy!), yet I do take the time to come here and read through posts to glean bits of info here and there. And yeah, I have 2 books on corns that I have read cover to cover, even tho I am a full time college student (17 hours last semester, thank you very much!) and also a full time mother of 2 boys, with all that entails.

I have done lots of research on lots of things and have found that frequently we project our anger at ourselves onto other people. Perhaps you are frustrated that you do not have as much time as you would like to devote to your cornsnake hobby? I can certainly relate to that one! Yet by projecting your anger onto others you only bring it back to yourself. Really. My advice to you would be to take a few deep breaths, study for your finals and THEN think about changing your snakes' feeding schedule. IMHO one of the best things about corns is how truly low maintenance they are!! There is a huge gray area between overfeeding and underfeeding, and you are unlikely to fall into either extreme if you use common sense and do some research. And your snakes most likely will be fine in the mean time. I have seen so many people come here with truly life and death situations with their snakes and have received help and consolation, be glad your snakes are healthy and doing well.

I have come here with questions that have been asked over and over and been told to use the search function, and I have done so with great success. Sometimes I post just cause I want someone to talk to about my snakes, I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. But getting all in a tizzy because 1) people don't always appreciate answering the same question over and over and 2) nobody answers your question right away, isn't doing anyone any good. I'm sure that you are a very nice person who has a lot on her plate right now - but please stop and look at how you are presenting yourself on this forum.

Good luck on your tests! I'm still waiting for the results from mine . . . I had 3 tough finals in 1 day on Monday, plus a traffic jam that held me up for 30 minutes on my way to my first one!!! That was a rough day, I am SO glad it's over . . . tho a week later I'm still trying to recover. :shrugs:

princess
05-01-2005, 12:29 PM
OMG.. you cant take a joke?.. this is what i am talking about with the internet discussions... he wasnt being disrespectful... whe was trying to lighten the situation... not saying your a unstable person but trying to make a point at how silly this whole thing is....insecure much?

The thing with communicating in text is that it's very hard to pass on the intended insinuations and sarcasm...and for this purpose we have smilies.

This one :rolleyes: -is for implying sarcasm.
This one :grin01: - might also do depending on the context.

I took that comment on 'your name says it all' exactly the way Terri took it as there was no attempt to inject any tone of friendlyness or sarcasm into it with use of smilies or '*jk*' written in there to imply that it was not meant litterally.

Mary (peep 827), you summed it up nicely.

Stress and level of busy-ness is a relative thing. I know a woman with 2 kids, one of them in full time school, a cleaner, a part time nanny, a gardener and a high earning husband who can't handle how stressful and busy her life is (she needs to co-ordinate picking up her son from school and picking up the drycleaning all in one day ..oh my!!) Another mum I know has 2 kids about the same age, keeps an impecably spotless home, is heavily involved in a lot of activities through her sons school, cooks all meals from scratch, works part time, always looks beautifully presented and always has time for little emergencies that might pop up...and takes it all in her stride. It's all a matter of how you time manage and how you perceive yourself as being able to cope. The first mum sees herself as a victim of circumstance the 2nd relishes her roles and extends herself to do them as best she can and gains a lot of satisfaction from them. This is not dirrected at anyone in particular....it's just food for thought on what it is to be busy/stressed/overstretched in whatever way we perceive it.

I know when I was about 20-22, I was juggling a lot (mentioned in an earlier post) and handled it all really well. It makes me dizzy now to think just how busy i was and makes me wonder how I fitted it all in stayed sane when I compare it to the relative ease of my life now.

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
why don't you just change the site to www.cornsnakesusethesearchfunction.com that always seems to be the advice given here! I've received the same condesending treatment on this site as well from many members here!

I will agree with you 100% that there are condescending attitudes around here, but you know what? Just about every thread that goes 'down that path' had to start somewhere. The attitude you are met with is the attitude you generally receive back. FSB started out this thread with some attitude. She was actually responded back to with some helpful advice and answers to her questions . . . which was then met with some attitude by FSB . . . again. It takes two to make an argument, but the reality is this thread started 'down the wrong path' before any answers could be given. Quite frankly I'm looking at it from both sides and got involved in this thread because I personally was hoping I could get FSB to see her mistakes in the reaction she posed to gardenmum and princess. Apparently, FSB doesn't want to look at herself for improvement, nor recognize constructive criticism. Who am I to offer constructive criticism? Someone who is just as sick and tired of reading some of the crap attitudes on this board as others. If no one speaks up when will it ever end? Such is life.

D80

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 01:46 PM
After catching up on all the other posts that have been written . . .

Some observations I've made over the last 2 years hanging around here:
1. There are people who've left this site and haven't been missed . . . because of their attitude. :(
2. There are select few people who everyone wishes would leave the site . . . because of their attitude. :rolleyes:
And my personal favorite . . .
3. People who have once had attitude, threatened to leave, had a moment of reflection, changed their approach to life and this board, and have been welcomed 'back' with open arms. :crazy02:

I've said my piece, and will have fun sitting back and watching what choice FSB and others make.

D80

larryg
05-01-2005, 01:57 PM
If I may make a suggestion, how about having a list of FAQs that people/newbies often ask, maybe 20 or 30 diffferent topics, and post answers including links to threads where those topics are discussed. I have seen this on another popular vbulletin forum, so it's not really my idea, but it could be applied to the topic of Corn Snakes. It could be done by creating a separate FAQ forum. Topics where there is normally a lot of disagreement should try to present the pros and cons of both sides.

Ex.

1. What are the advantages of buying from a store or a breeder?

2. What is the legal and correct way to ship snakes?

3. If buying from a store, what should you look for?

4. If buying from a breeder, what should you look for?

5. Housing the new snake

6. Allowing the new snake to adjust to its new home

7. Feeding - how often and what to feed.

8. Feeding - Going up in size.

9. Feeding - Problems - Regurgitation.

10. Feeding - Problems - Snake won't eat.

11. Feeding - Where to buy food.

12. Handling dos and don'ts

and so on

KRIZ
05-01-2005, 03:07 PM
hi everyone, i have been on this site for around half a year, and what i do is: before i post a thread with a question, i search for the keywords which i think will pull threads with the answers i need. That way,

a) if some one has posted it before, i have the information instantly and dont have to wait days for ppl to post, so i am a happy bunny :dancer:

or

b) i know that ppl havnt already answered my question before, so i dont feel like an ass, and i dont feel as though i am annoying anybody or getting on the wrong side o them (six months later, and still the newbie attitude)

meh, i only have one snake and i am no expert, i dont think i have to expertise to flame anyone, so i just give advice within my experiences, that has worked for me up to now, so if you want, give it ago :)

princess
05-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Kudos to you Kriz, you're not just a happy bunny, but a clever bunny!

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 03:51 PM
....insecure much?Nope...hardly ever! Especially when it comes to unfounded statements about my character.

princess
05-01-2005, 03:55 PM
It's called projection. -when you see negative characteristics in others that you may not admit to yourself that you have.

larryg
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I can see that questions are not easily translated into a few key search terms, especially for newbies not familiar with all the jargon commonly used, and often the results will contain mostly non-relevant info. I will make a suggestion to Rich, but I do think the addition of a FAQ section (about snakes) is the next logical step in the 'evolution' of this forum. If people spend more time talking about other people not using the search feature than they do making substantive posts, then obviously there is room for improvement.

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Larry, I do believe that suggestion has already been made. I personally think it is a good idea. Maybe if enough people ask for it, Rich will comply. I wouldn't expect quick results, though, especially at this time of year.

Drizzt80
05-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Larry, I do believe that suggestion has already been made. I personally think it is a good idea. Maybe if enough people ask for it, Rich will comply. I wouldn't expect quick results, though, especially at this time of year.

I believe Rich has complied, but stated it was up to 'us' to get the information together. Joejr14 started the thread . . .
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19443

D80

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 04:28 PM
AWESOME! I didn't know that! Thanks for the link!

exoticpetz
05-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Joejr14
You are definately right about Gardenmum. But in that one instance it appeared abit arrogant to me. I probably should have left out that mini-snipe and posted the point that I really what to make. A point that appears to be repeatedly missed by everyone posting here. I really feel that many veterans of a million posts feel entitled to bully the newbies and those that rarely post. I know that I`m not going to endear myself taking shots at anyone, but I`m not going to stepdown intimidated by anyones` post level either. The only thing I really want to provoke here is thought.
You know I found that you and several others here are a tremendous benefit to this site. But, again, I`m not going to stepdown because of your post level. Respect is earned by actions not senoirity.

Clint Boyer
05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey!
Nobody answered my question and told me how to fix my camera!

I'm leavin' :sidestep:

CornCrazy
05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
exoticpetz...if gardenmum seemed arrogant, it was simply because she was offended at what was said BEFORE anyone had the chance to answer FlaStang's question. I have known gardenmum for 3 years now. She is not an arrogant person at all!

Edit:
Most of us that have been here for any length of time are very willing to help people out whenever needed. It is nice when we can see that the person WANTS to learn and is willing to make an effort to learn. It makes things much easier. You need to try to look at things from our point of view, as well. Most of us do not have the time to keep answering the same questions over and over again. We have lives, too. If a person has honestly searched and cannot find the answer, then that's a different story. However, FlaStang said she didn't have time to use the search function, then she proceeded to made a snide remark about the general character of the people on this forum...without even giving anyone the time to answer her question. Gardenmum first answered her question (respectfully), then addressed the fact that FlaStang's statement had offended her.

exoticpetz
05-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Terri, I just tried to explain that I didn`t think that Gardenmum is generally arrogant. But I did think that one post had a bit in there. I am trying to see other points of view but I really don`t see alot of it elsewhere. One point I`ve tried to make is that she`s trying to give her snakes the best care she can by reaching out. She got answers. But she got ripped bigtime because it didn`t suit other peoples terms. So you and several others are tired of answering the the same questions. I understand.
Terri , I think I`m like alot of people that hate to be gauged on shipping. . Some want XXX for box, heatpacks , handling, etc in addition to shipping.
Some want actual shipping cost and consider the rest "the cost of doing business" Try viewing answering the same old, same old as "the cost of garnering your good people reputation"

jazzgeek
05-02-2005, 03:54 AM
I believe Rich has complied, but stated it was up to 'us' to get the information together. Joejr14 started the thread . . .
AWESOME! I didn't know that! Thanks for the link!
Sheeeeesh, Terri......all you had to do was use the search function. :sidestep:

regards,
jazz
(Go ahead....tell me about the correlation between me and the last half of my nickname.) ;)

CornCrazy
05-02-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi Terri, I just tried to explain that I didn`t think that Gardenmum is generally arrogant. But I did think that one post had a bit in there. I am trying to see other points of view but I really don`t see alot of it elsewhere. One point I`ve tried to make is that she`s trying to give her snakes the best care she can by reaching out. She got answers. But she got ripped bigtime because it didn`t suit other peoples terms. So you and several others are tired of answering the the same questions. I understand.
Terri , I think I`m like alot of people that hate to be gauged on shipping. . Some want XXX for box, heatpacks , handling, etc in addition to shipping.
Some want actual shipping cost and consider the rest "the cost of doing business" Try viewing answering the same old, same old as "the cost of garnering your good people reputation"Hello, I know that you said that about gardenmum. I was just trying to reinforce that because I have known her for so long. If she seemed that way...it was with reason. That's all I was trying to explain.

I have to disagree about FlaStang getting ripped because of her inquiry not suiting other people's terms, however. People took offense to her general attitude (which started before anyone had the chance to answer her). As I said before, I do not mind answering the same questions over again...IF that person has honestly tried to find out the answer on their own first.

CornCrazy
05-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Sheeeeesh, Terri......all you had to do was use the search function. :sidestep:

regards,
jazz
(Go ahead....tell me about the correlation between me and the last half of my nickname.) ;)LOL Jazz! You are too funny! :D

One more thing...the difference is that I wasn't seeking that information ;)

cocoasumatran
05-02-2005, 04:49 AM
I get both points of view on this thread, and I really don't think there's any need to be so rude and for people to get so worked up!!

One thing I have noticed is that newbs do seem to get a slating for posting simple questions... Firstly, it takes just the same amount of time to give them a quick answer as it does to tell them to use the search etc and secondly if you are sick of answering the same questions over and over then don't. There are plenty of semi newbies and people who are just new to the site who will be able to answer these simple questions. Give them a chance to shine and it keeps the forums busy! There's no rule that you can't post something just because it has been posted before...

gardenmum
05-02-2005, 07:58 AM
One thing I have noticed is that newbs do seem to get a slating for posting simple questions... Firstly, it takes just the same amount of time to give them a quick answer as it does to tell them to use the search etc and secondly if you are sick of answering the same questions over and over then don't. There are plenty of semi newbies and people who are just new to the site who will be able to answer these simple questions. Give them a chance to shine and it keeps the forums busy! There's no rule that you can't post something just because it has been posted before...

Well seeing as newbs do and are the ones who post the simple questions, I would say that is a fair and proper assumption. Obviously since someone who has been here (or owned/breeds snakes for many years), knows, or believes they know, the basics, they will not post those questions. That is a given and logical.

And I do have to differ with the time of posting. It does not take long to say "that issue has already been heavily discussed, try doing a search for XXXX topic" then it does to write two or more paragraphs explaining said topic. I will say that I have answered many repeat newb questions and some in great length. I do not mind answering them when I have the time and I see no problem with newbs asking the questions as many have NO idea that they could even do a search.

No one is telling anyone that they cannot answer a question. If a semi newb or someone knowledgable but new to the forum wants to make a reply or put in their two cents, there is no problem with that nor are they told not to. In fact, if you look at a large range of the questions asked on this forum, you will find posts answered by other newbs or semi-newbs only, as well as them answering along with the more knowledgable.

If take a good look at the questions that newbs post you will find that the majority are answered even though they are repeat upon repeat questions. In some cases the person may be referred to the search method AS WELL as being given an answer. In some cases the person is refered to the search because it would give them the best answers. You have to understand, when these basics have been answered in other threads, the person can glean much more information by doing a search than getting one or two people to take the time to repeat answers, so this method is not only a savings for repeat writing but also a much better tool for learning as much as possible and also getting various other points of view.

I think some people do not understand the reason for my reply. I can say that I, and many of us here, have answered AND will continue to answer newb questions without complaint. Answering the question was NOT a problem for me and was not the cause of my first reply. I did answer the posed question. It was the attitude of wanting the answer immediately and saying there was no way a search was going to be done. I can understand a persons frustration if in EVERYTHING they asked they were not given answers but told to search. That was not the case and I didn't, and still don't, feel that is fair to the non-newb who has put in their time to learn by studying and such. Because we have taken the time to learn and because we have been in this longer, we are happy to share this knowledge and help others enjoy this hobby, that is how we learned and they are going to learn, but appreciation for it also should be in order. I don't think that is a lot to ask for the time we take to help others out. I know I am extremely grateful for the time others have given in helping, and still help, me learn. And believe me, all the answers to my questions didn't come within a few hours. Some not even in that day. If the person I am asking a question to is busy and can't get back to me immediately, I wait. Then I thank them after I get it. And yes, I am still learning, and always will be, and I still sometimes ask questions to those who have been in this longer and I trust their knowledge. Sometimes I am told where to look for my answer instead of given the answer. I thank them for their answer even if it is the next day. I don't complain about it. Respect has to go both ways.

larryg
05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I think it should be possible to post a link to a search, which would be more helpful than telling people to search, without even any mention of what terms to use.

Testing...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/search.php?searchid=84671

As far as the FAQ, I would make it a separate read-only forum, which Rich mentioned as a possibility. Or just make it part of the FAQ at the top of the board, which is also possible (might require a bit more time/work.)

Joejr14
05-03-2005, 01:57 AM
D80

Thank you.

I really haven't been online much this weekend, and wow, this thread went downhill fast. I would really love to post some comments, but they'd be very attacking and rude so I'll go read around some more before I come back and address those points.

Joejr14
05-03-2005, 03:14 AM
Okay, now before I hit the hay I just wanted to make my final post.

First, I just want to say thank you to the three people who gave me rep points. It's really nice to get feedback on your posts (especially pos. feedback). I know it doesn't really 'mean' much, but it is really nice to know that your posts are at the very least appreciated.

Now, onto the thread.

Your name says it all...well, at least the second half of it does! I know FlaStangBabe personally and she has more respect and more consideration for other people than most of the people I know. She ALWAYS takes time to listen what other people have to say and takes into consideration people's thoughts and feelings and ideas. I am not a hateful or disrespectful person either unless someone is disrespectful to me first, which yes, has happend quite a few times here! Some of he "more experienced" members here seem to treat the "new" people like a rash that wont go away. A moderator needs to lock this thread and put it to bed already!!!

Um, wow. BLK, you have to understand that whether or not you were joking (and I dont think you were) that is very offensive. Terri is very helpful and friendly in the chat room, and especially helping out on the boards. To insult her and call her 'crazy', which is exactly what you did despite someone running to your defense and calling 'joke', is totally inappropriate. I'd like to think that we're ALL past the age of calling people names because we're in an argument or discussion that got heated.

FSB, you're digging yourself a very big, steep hole. First, your boyfriend calls Terri crazy, now you're calling her insecure?

How's this one for ya: Immature much?

FSB, your behavior on this thread is indefensible, period. I can already picture how this went down. You had an attitude, took what was said as an attack, were already stressed out and you exploded. Instead of admitting you screwed up, as we all do, you blame-shifted onto very respected members of this forum. Then when others saw this, and commented, you ran to your boyfriend who of course had to come running into your defense and jumped right in, not looking.

BLK, you did no better. You didn't like what was being said about your girlfriend, so you started throwing insults out, insteading of responding with a level head.

I am not a hateful or disrespectful person either unless someone is disrespectful to me first, which yes, has happend quite a few times here!

What? So why come out and attack Terri, when she wasn't at all rude to you. In fact, she didn't even address you. So, I guess there goes your previous comment, eh?

This is my point. You saw (or were told) that FSB was being 'attacked' and you came to the rescue. And by doing so, you attacked the member whom you perceived was attacking your girlfriend.

Perhaps you should have stepped back, read the whole thread with a cool head and you would have seen that your girlfriend dug herself this hole. You shoud have realized what everyone else on this thread has, and told her that she needed to simply apologize for coming off the way she did. I knew damn well that after my last post it would only be a better of time before you showed up on the thread defending FSB. I knew it and I called it, and here we are.

I was 19 once, two years ago in fact, and I know damn well that I was plenty immature enough then. I see freshmen in the dorms at FSU and shake my head and say to myself "there is no way I acted like that when I was a freshman", but I know I did. BLK, you were 19 once too. However, you're what, 32 now, and you know the difference between right and wrong, and calling someone 'crazy' while professing that your girlfriend is a great person while ignoring the mistakes she made is not something I would expect out of an adult. FSB is 19, and makes mistakes like we all do. That type of behavior is expected out of someone that age---I know because I do the same thing from time to time, but you need to be an adult about it and fess up and learn from the mistakes. There is no shame in admitting you were wrong. You do that, move on, grow up and learn---and become a better person for it.

Nobody here is attacking you, or your girfriend. Nobody here wishes that you both leave the site. That would be the exact opposite reason of all of us being here. This website is here to help out fellow cornsnake breeders, hobbyist, pet owners, etc. Everyone here remembers when they first got their snake and all of the 'dumb' questions they had, which are now being asked again by the newest owners. I laugh when I see a post about someone's snake shedding for the first time and how excited they are. It's not a condescending laugh, it's just a humor laugh. Like I said, we were all there once.

Everyone here posts to either learn information, or help others learn it. People who post here to be rude, disruptive and chase people away, do not last. We have had plenty of people banned for being jackasses, and Rich doesn't put up with it. However, nobody is going to get banned and no thread is going to get locked for tough love. I am sorry that both you and FSB thought you were being attacked, but that was not the case. I don't think that Gardenmum or CornCrazy considered any of their posts to be attacking, at any time. In fact, after you both insulted CornCrazy, she was very polite in her answer back. Like I said, I know you both were feeling attacked, but that does not justify an immature name calling response. You are both adults, and not 13---you both should be well past the name calling stage of elementary school. We all know the heat of the moment while posting might come and perhaps we're pissed off and say things we shouldn't have, but apologies usually follow.

From what I've seen here, there have been no apologies. That says to me that neither one of you feel like you did anything wrong, or you're just not willing to apologize. If you choose the latter, then that is too bad. It seems like FSB is already decided not to post here anymore, and if that is the case then that is a shame.

I do hope that you both realize that there is not a better website for cornsnakes out there, and that pet stores usually give bad advice. It would be great if you both would stick around, but I do believe that some apologies are in order. I really do hope that you both are willing to step up to the plate and simply apologize for a mistake that has gone downhill so quickly. The fact that this thread is approaching page 3 is silly, especially when it should have simply ended on page one with a very simple apology.

I truly hope that you both do re-consider and apologize. I have no doubts that if that does happen, open arms will be awaiting and this will be a non-issue.

George Soros:
"Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes."

exoticpetz
05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Joe
I found that last post extremely thought provoking. Unfornately I disagree with alot of it. At this point I`m only going to address apologies. Where do I find yours`? Do you know what for? Oh, I really like this one, where do you find all the newbies that jackasses like you speaking in condescending tones have intimidated and driven away, to apologize to them? Maybe the next jackass Rich drives ought to be you. Right now those people with a thirst to learn might be struggling to care for their babies and not know where to turn for quality advice from experienced keepers.
I wish that hadn`t told Gardenmum to come down from her high horse. But it did coincide with with a valid point ( at least I feel that way) so I find it hard to apologize for that. Dianne, I hope you understand.
Princess, I do apologize to you. What i said to you was uncalled for.

princess
05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
no hard feelings at all, people get all wound up in these tangent threads and logic seems to take a vacation often enough!! I just hope threads like this one can decline significantly and our forum can go back to the lovely place I remember it as being. I'm sure these threads will never stop, but there have been a fair few more inthe last 6 months.

exoticpetz
05-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry Joe,
I forgot to apologize to you . I shouldn`t have called you a jackass. I may have you read accurately, but it was childish and wrong for me to say it. What I should`ve said is that it appears to me that you`re runnig a race wearing blinders. And that it appears to me that you an eye exam. Not to mention that with 1193 current post and all the newbies that you`ve played a big part in driving off, I`m sorry that I probably wont live long enough to see the seeds of your labor come to fruition. That is assuming that you have the type of character that you seem to want to demand.

Joejr14
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Joe
I found that last post extremely thought provoking. Unfornately I disagree with alot of it. At this point I`m only going to address apologies. Where do I find yours`? Do you know what for? Oh, I really like this one, where do you find all the newbies that jackasses like you speaking in condescending tones have intimidated and driven away, to apologize to them? Maybe the next jackass Rich drives ought to be you. Right now those people with a thirst to learn might be struggling to care for their babies and not know where to turn for quality advice from experienced keepers.
I wish that hadn`t told Gardenmum to come down from her high horse. But it did coincide with with a valid point ( at least I feel that way) so I find it hard to apologize for that. Dianne, I hope you understand.
Princess, I do apologize to you. What i said to you was uncalled for.

Well, I'm sorry that you dont agree with my post. You are entitled to your opinion, so to each his own.

I'm not really sure what you don't agree with, but I would like to find out. I do not believe anything in my most recent post was condescending in any way. I am sorry if you feel that to be so.

I also do not understand what on this thread I should apologize for, and I am having troubles reading and understanding your points following you asking me if I have apologized.

I do not believe that I have driven away any newbies due to condescending posts.

Joejr14
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry Joe,
I forgot to apologize to you . I shouldn`t have called you a jackass. I may have you read accurately, but it was childish and wrong for me to say it. What I should`ve said is that it appears to me that you`re runnig a race wearing blinders. And that it appears to me that you an eye exam. Not to mention that with 1193 current post and all the newbies that you`ve played a big part in driving off, I`m sorry that I probably wont live long enough to see the seeds of your labor come to fruition. That is assuming that you have the type of character that you seem to want to demand.

You may have read me accurately? And what have you read, if I may ask?

What does my post count have to do with anything? Again, I ask where are these newbies that I have driven off?

I really dont like the unfounded attack on my character, this after calling me a jackass. Seems to be a bit hypocritical, if I do say so myself.

exoticpetz
05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Joe,
Where do I even begin. Ok, how about not condescending. Who the !@#$ are you to tell anyone they need to apologize. You don`t think that`s condescending. You`re unbelieveable. The basic principal of apologizing is to express sorrow for your actions not someone else`s.
How`s this one for ya,. Immature much. No Joe, that`s not condescending either.Nor is it hypocritical.
Joe , I really don`t know if I should ever finish saying what`s needs to be addressed with you. But apparently you lie to yourself. And I need to chill at this point because I haven`t begun to critique your previous 3 posts let alone gone back from there.

E. g. guttata
05-03-2005, 07:43 PM
OMG are you guys serious?!?! My buddy told me i had to check this thread out, i wasnt going to post anymore but you guys are way outta line... you do realize my frustration wasnt just from this thread, or just from the references to the search option... you are picking what i said and tearing it apart. i have always thanked people for their advice. and Princess i have stood up for you

so i dont know why i am getting hostility from you people. maybe because it is through the internet and a lot of what you type isnt how it sounds in your head when you type it.

you all bring up how i dont use it.. if you go back to my post about ghosts i did use it and it didnt give me what i was looking for. i was asking for comparison pics and i got battered for not being able to tell if it was an adult, yearling or hatchling.

I wasnt pissed at ONE thing... it was an accumulation... i am sorry if i offended anyone but i stick up for myself when i feel like it is needed. and as for looking for the quick way??? yeah i want quick answers and if i am having difficulty finding them i will post a thread... and as far as my schedual you dont know when i have time to come look on the boards... like now, i have time before i meet my mom before brunch, granted i should be getting dressed, but i think ill skip make up today to stick up for myself once again.

and i DO say thank you

in this quote i dont think i was mean in anyway, just trying to get my point cross after being told what i should know. how should i know if i dont have the experience?

i guess if yall dont get the point now you never will....

Alright, I haven't gotten past this post yet, but I feel like I need to say something before I go more crazy than most people here view me. If you are offended by people picking at something that YOU typed, then you need to get awway from all people everywhere. You most certainly DID say that you "don't have enough time to use the search feature". This is something that was addressed. You also came off as being VERY impatient waiting for someone to post. You also tried to gain sympathy by telling everyone that you had a job full-time and school full-time. THIS WILL NOT GET YOU ANYWHERE. As a college student with a dad that goes to school full-time and works full-time, I get to hear plenty about that. You'll also be wise to note that many of the senior members on here, avoid these kinds of posts. They strictly avoid them because there is no reason for them to post, especially when there ARE books and multiple threads concerning this topic. Calling a friend that has kept corns and asking them works, or talking to a pet shop who's bulk sales come from reptiles (these are normally "mom and pop" shops) is generally another good place to go, as most of them will breed many of their own snakes. You could also get onto Don's, Rich's, or Kathy's sites. They have contact info and will be more than willing to type out an e-mail or take a phone call. There are more ways to get answers (and quicker) to some of these questions without getting all bent out of shape. Heck, the ONLY reason I'm currently on this thread is because I was referenced here to see how far the thread had gone off-topic. I ignored this thread because of the topic. I generally stick to the genetics and breeding boards. They generally have more interesting topics, and don't tend to repeat questions as much. Sure I have to deal with someone that constantly tries to degrade my intellegence and tries to discredit me all the time simply because I'm 18 and he's 42, but I deal with it. If I took things as personally as it appears you have, then (at least by your preformance on this thread) I should not only have leaft any thread that he has done this to me, but left the forums all together with a big post disrespecting EVERYONE. This is not how one should EVER act, no mattter how new or old they are and no matter how long they have been on this forum. Respect and patients go a LONG way here, and since you are in college and have a job, I think it's time to either learn some or excersize it.

E. g. guttata
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
If I may make a suggestion, how about having a list of FAQs that people/newbies often ask, maybe 20 or 30 diffferent topics, and post answers including links to threads where those topics are discussed. I have seen this on another popular vbulletin forum, so it's not really my idea, but it could be applied to the topic of Corn Snakes. It could be done by creating a separate FAQ forum. Topics where there is normally a lot of disagreement should try to present the pros and cons of both sides.

Ex.

1. What are the advantages of buying from a store or a breeder?

2. What is the legal and correct way to ship snakes?

3. If buying from a store, what should you look for?

4. If buying from a breeder, what should you look for?

5. Housing the new snake

6. Allowing the new snake to adjust to its new home

7. Feeding - how often and what to feed.

8. Feeding - Going up in size.

9. Feeding - Problems - Regurgitation.

10. Feeding - Problems - Snake won't eat.

11. Feeding - Where to buy food.

12. Handling dos and don'ts

and so on

FSB answered why this won't work. Some people just "don't have time" to go looking for it, but would rather ask others to inconvienence themselves to answer it. Unfortunately, though it is a good idea, there is no reason to try it or to even expect it to work.

E. g. guttata
05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Joe,
Where do I even begin. Ok, how about not condescending. Who the !@#$ are you to tell anyone they need to apologize. You don`t think that`s condescending. You`re unbelieveable. The basic principal of apologizing is to express sorrow for your actions not someone else`s.
How`s this one for ya,. Immature much. No Joe, that`s not condescending either.Nor is it hypocritical.
Joe , I really don`t know if I should ever finish saying what`s needs to be addressed with you. But apparently you lie to yourself. And I need to chill at this point because I haven`t begun to critique your previous 3 posts let alone gone back from there.

*hands exoticpetz a shovel* Welcome Vinman2. I think you better join your mentor in his delusionary world.

exoticpetz
05-03-2005, 09:15 PM
E.G.Guttata
To think that you`re crazy would imply the belief that there`s something happening between your ears.

FSB answered why this won`t work. Some people just "won`t take the time" blah, blah, blah
Even you should be able to grasp this. Some people do things differently even though they strive to achieve the same results. It`s called individuality.
*hands exoticpetz a shovel* blah blah blah
You are just plain comical. I hope someday that anyone will be able to laugh with you

Joejr14
05-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Joe,

Well, they both do need to apologize. They both attacked very well respected members of this forum, and it was uncalled for. Therefore, they need to apologize for their inappropriate behavior. If you cannot grasp that fact, then that is too bad. Advising them that they need to apologize is not condescending.

Telling FSB that she was being immature is not condescending, or was I being hypocritical. Not one post from me on this thread is condescending, nor immature.

Feel free to bring your issues with me directly to me, all while burying yourself in the process. I find it highly amusing that you've been here since Oct 2004 and have aquired all of 14 or so posts since then, they majority of them coming on this thread.

Your 14 posts on this thread and your most recent ones attacking and criticizing me have absolutely zero weight with me. The fact that I have recieved plenty of positive feedback from numerous people for my posts on this thread have told me that they approved of my posts, and saw nothing wrong with either my posts, or the way I presented my opinions.

Quite frankly, I dont really care what you think. You have contributed nothing on this website other than to attack me. Your opinion is worthless and as EGG said, you appear to be Vinman2. Have a great time digging yourself a hole.

Serpwidgets
05-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Everyone give a warm welcome to our newest troll: "exoticpetz."

E. g. guttata
05-03-2005, 09:36 PM
E.G.Guttata
To think that you`re crazy would imply the belief that there`s something happening between your ears.

FSB answered why this won`t work. Some people just "won`t take the time" blah, blah, blah
Even you should be able to grasp this. Some people do things differently even though they strive to achieve the same results. It`s called individuality.
*hands exoticpetz a shovel* blah blah blah
You are just plain comical. I hope someday that anyone will be able to laugh with you

Thanks for proving my point VInny. Keep the personal attacks up. You really need to stop showing why you shouldn't be posting. Oh? You're not Vinman? Sorry. Just thought by the way you like trying to slam other people that you were. Must be a VinBot. Not even capable of understanding that there seems to be a thing called manners, etiquette. You seem to be lacking in both areas. Doing things differently is different then coming on here and posting a question, trying to look for sympathy with a sob-story that's been used tons of times, and slamming people for no reason, even before they post. If that is your idea of individuality, then you need to get a real life and see how REAL people interact with each other.

E. g. guttata
05-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Everyone give a warm welcome to our newest troll: "exoticpetz."
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: HI TROLL!! I can dig up threads of Vinamn for you to study. And who knows, maybe you'll be as bad of a speller as he is some day! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

exoticpetz
05-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Joe, This thread is a pretty good example of why you see that I`ve tried not to post anything anywhere on this site (other than stock inquiries). I`d rather just read and see what`s available. I allowed this thread to get under my skin and have played a role in this thread getting out of hand. You know, even though I haven`t shown it much, I do appreciate that you are generally a big asset to the forum. And while I don`t agree with some of your opinions, I do realize that I`ve crossed the line more than once. I apologize for that.

exoticpetz
05-04-2005, 03:39 AM
Serp, You seem to be implying that it`s been my intention all along to cause a train wreck in this thread. That simply isn`t the case.

princess
05-04-2005, 03:49 AM
May I please ask what the point of continuing this thread is?

Yes we (mostly) agree that FSB was a teensey bit quick to complain that noone answers her questions quick enough and a little-tiny bit lazy in saying that she wants the info given to her rather than looking it up....but I'm getting a smidgie-little bit sick of this dirrection....if you catch my drift :rolleyes:

Can we call it a day? Yes, some people are sorry....some people are defiant...some people are insistant one standing their ground and fighting for it to the death.

We've all argued our positions and it seems that it's turning (or turned depending on your view) into a thread of personal attacks rather than any specific point related to CORNSNAKES

Let's get back to the real reason we have this fantastic resource...the snakes.

E. g. guttata
05-04-2005, 04:04 AM
May I please ask what the point of continuing this thread is?

Yes we (mostly) agree that FSB was a teensey bit quick to complain that noone answers her questions quick enough and a little-tiny bit lazy in saying that she wants the info given to her rather than looking it up....but I'm getting a smidgie-little bit sick of this dirrection....if you catch my drift :rolleyes:

Can we call it a day? Yes, some people are sorry....some people are defiant...some people are insistant one standing their ground and fighting for it to the death.

We've all argued our positions and it seems that it's turning (or turned depending on your view) into a thread of personal attacks rather than any specific point related to CORNSNAKES

Let's get back to the real reason we have this fantastic resource...the snakes.

We are continuing this thread sheerly for the love of argument ;) Corn snakes take a back seet to a good flaming post! LMAO! Anyways. Points are points are points. You can make them all day, but the reactions when someone sitd on a point is what really is entertaining. Whether they stand up and swear, or they just look at it, point and laugh. Just depends on the person and the point ;) As far as I see, there just happens to be a lot of swearing, not a lot of laughing. But that's been happening a lot lately on the forums, so I expect it will either stop soon, or get really bad really quick. Hopefully it stops.

jazzgeek
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
We are continuing this thread sheerly for the love of argument ;)
No we're not.
Hopefully it stops.
Hopefully it won't.

:headbang:

regards,
jazz

"This isn't an argument! This is mere contradiction!" -- Michael Palin of "Monty Python" in the "Argument Clinic" sketch

Serpwidgets
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Yes, but it isn't just saying "no it tisn't."

Yes it is.

No it tisn't!

larryg
05-05-2005, 12:27 AM
FSB answered why this won't work. Some people just "don't have time" to go looking for it, but would rather ask others to inconvienence themselves to answer it. Unfortunately, though it is a good idea, there is no reason to try it or to even expect it to work.
There will always be 'some people' who won't make use of some feature. Realistically, FAQs are found in other similar online venues, and they do work for most people, which is all that can be hoped for. They help to keep the message boards uncluttered with basic questions when it is obvious to check the FAQs before posting. Kathy Love suggested FAQs a few months ago and has already written at least a few, although she said she doesn't have the time to write all of them. Btw, I don't mean to upset you, but for someone who rags on others for misspellings, you are far from a perfect speller. I wouldn't give up learning to spell just yet (no offense intended.) :cheers:

Joejr14
05-05-2005, 12:51 AM
There will always be 'some people' who won't make use of some feature. Realistically, FAQs are found in other similar online venues, and they do work for most people, which is all that can be hoped for. They help to keep the message boards uncluttered with basic questions when it is obvious to check the FAQs before posting. Kathy Love suggested FAQs a few months ago and has already written at least a few, although she said she doesn't have the time to write all of them. Btw, I don't mean to upset you, but for someone who rags on others for misspellings, you are far from a perfect speller. I wouldn't give up learning to spell just yet (no offense intended.) :cheers:

I posted this thread under 'discussions about this site' about a month ago. Rich said he would allow it, so within the next week I'm going to start getting these things together and written up and get some ideas thrown my way.

Here's a link to that thread.